League Two Consequences

I stopped watching my local side this season as after many seasons at the same level and the occasional flirtation with going higher the absentee owner lost interest precipitating a slide which after a few parlous seasons finally ended in an inevitable relegation. The lack of impetus and poor standard meant I found better things to do with my Saturdays.

Deja Vu.

18 hours ago, singe said:

True, but several will be comparatively well funded from elsewhere. Eg Carlisle,Colchester, Notts County, Port Vale, Forest Green, Fylde if they come up, Ebbsfleet have a Kuwait owner if they also get promotion

Kuwait is experiencing budget cut backs

I expect all of us to be saddened if we drop, but most of us, after possibly a bit of 'never going again' type reaction, will be back again.  After all if we haven't given up after the last dozen or so years, we probably never will. :unsure:

Edited by frizzell54

51 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Yes remember charlton well. I also remember finding it amusing that we would be playing lowly teams such as Reading! 

Good and strong leadership at the very top of the club will be key to any prospects of stabilising the club and pushing forwards, be it from a base line of league 1 or 2. Will test AL in that regard. 

We were 2-0 down in that game before winning 5-2. Still remember my mum (a united armchair fan but used to come to games) muttering “2-0 down to fucking Charlton” we look at them as a big club now, how times change 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

:lol:

People said this when we were relegated to this division in 1997.

Why hasn't someone, at some point over the last couple of decades, seen survival in this division as an "opportunity", turned us into a winning League One side getting 5,000 fans AND having the large away following??

I'm as optimistic as most, but anyone who thinks relegation is an opportunity is really clutching at straws.  We've had 22 "opportunities" in this league yet haven't taken a single one.  New owner or otherwise, there is absolutely no indication that relegation could be a good thing.

I’d rather clutch at straws and believe there may be opportunity than take it as FACT that we’re doomed and will drop out of the league over the coming years. There’s not much else we can do as fans - we are pretty much impotent. Otherwise, there’s no point in any of it. And I have a season ticket for next year. 

It’s much healthier to have hope, with the acknowledgment it may be misplaced. 

7 minutes ago, maddog said:

I’d rather clutch at straws and believe there may be opportunity than take it as FACT that we’re doomed and will drop out of the league over the coming years. There’s not much else we can do as fans - we are pretty much impotent. Otherwise, there’s no point in any of it. And I have a season ticket for next year. 

Hear hear. We have to see the opportunity in our misfortune rather than assume misfortune leads to more misfortune.

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Crewe's average is 14th highest at 3,800. We won't beat that.......

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Based on home attendances we'd be 12th in League 2 at average 4406......

Be interesting to see home support/ST sales of League 2 v Oldham.  I'd say 2500-3000 so with 10-15% away, that'll be c3000 home gates?

57 minutes ago, Andy b said:

That includes big away followings from numerous teams. I'd put us at the Crewe mark......

Our average Home gate [less Away fans] at BP this season - with 1 game to go - is 3,658. This means the average Away gate is c750. Lets says we lose 500 of that. That's 500 x £20 x 23 = £230,000.

So, Solidarity Payments + Gate Receipts = on the way to Half a Million.

That Matt Mills contract, what would that've been again?

1 hour ago, maddog said:

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Hear hear. We have to see the opportunity in our misfortune rather than assume misfortune leads to more misfortune.

Well, I have to admire your positive takes on possibly the worst outcome of a season a football club can have.

I hope the people working behind the scenes at the club also see relegation as an opportunity and manage it accordingly. Unfortunately, relegation from the Premier League in 1994 has bought one disaster after another. Like you two, I hope this one will be different..

3 minutes ago, pukka said:

If we were guaranteed promotion in 12 months time - relegation could well be a good thing, but we are not guaranteed it and I seriously don't want it.

To be honest top seven would be a little more realistic, winning more than we lose for as long as I can remember, that would give us a platform to build on for the future, of course promotion would be the aim but some success would be a start.

56 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't Tranmere's gates increase in the Conference?

No.

5,173 last season when they finished 2nd in Tier 5, 5,084 the year before.

5,113 and 5,192 in the 2 back to back relegation seasons from Tier 3 to 5.

They had 6,196 in the season Ronnie had them at the Top of Tier 3 - with Jake Cassidy scoring - for ages before falling away.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/trar.htm

Edited by lookersstandandy

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

:lol:

People said this when we were relegated to this division in 1997.

Why hasn't someone, at some point over the last couple of decades, seen survival in this division as an "opportunity", turned us into a winning League One side getting 5,000 fans AND having the large away following??

I'm as optimistic as most, but anyone who thinks relegation is an opportunity is really clutching at straws.  We've had 22 "opportunities" in this league yet haven't taken a single one.  New owner or otherwise, there is absolutely no indication that relegation could be a good thing.

Absolutely spot on.

41 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

No.

5,173 last season when they finished 2nd in Tier 5, 5,084 the year before.

5,113 and 5,192 in the 2 back to back relegation seasons from Tier 3 to 5.

They had 6,196 in the season Ronnie had them at the Top of Tier 3 - with Jake Cassidy scoring - for ages before falling away.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/trar.htm

That’s a good statto site

the last time we went down to tier 4 in 1970 the crowds went up slightly (.     4357 From 3862)

then doubled when promoted after 2 seasons in 1971 to    9546 

I remember that promotion season well, many goals from David Shaw and Jimmy Fryatt and winning the Ford Sporting League, which built the Ford Stand with £70,000 http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/olda.htm

Edited by stevesidg

30 minutes ago, Andy b said:

No point being doom and gloom. Time will tell 

tbh whatever happens in the next 2 weeks I cant wait for this season to end, its been miserable

Lg1 or Lg2 my tkt is renewed already, we have a new owner and reason to be optimistic for next season either way.

a couple of months away from Boundary Park slagging England off instead will do everyone a world of good.

5 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

tbh whatever happens in the next 2 weeks I cant wait for this season to end, its been miserable

Lg1 or Lg2 my tkt is renewed already, we have a new owner and reason to be optimistic for next season either way.

a couple of months away from Boundary Park slagging England off instead will do everyone a world of good.

Exactly my way of looking at it.

4 hours ago, stevesidg said:

Kuwait is experiencing budget cut backs

I don't think he is part of the Government. Anyway he's subsidised them to the tune of £40m in 2016 & 207.

Also he is investing heavily off the field

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/sport/fleet-owner-keeps-up-support-135308/

Aiming to be self sustaining

Bought a new stand

Top of the range medical facilities

doubled the gate in 5 years

Wants to win with sexy football.

it'll never catch on.