Today's S*n 2-page spread article

A possibility is that for some reason the paper suddenly finds that it has two pages to fill and not much to fill it with. 

There’s a few paragraphs somewhere on us and our struggles, they realise we’re in for a final day survival battle, so pad it out with dubious information. Possibly from multiple sources, and dodgy sources, and Internet forums. 

It hooks the piece on Wellens as he’s the manager and is the most recognisable face at the club. 

Pages filled, the sport desk can head off to the pub and forget about it. 

Some lines might be based on fact, some might be stretched, and some completely wrong. (It isn’t unheard of for reporters to intentionally put in incorrect information as that would allow a genuine in the know source to say it wasn’t them as they know X, Y and Z not to be true). Or the reporter is just incorrect. 

And that might be all there is to it. 

7 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Far be it from me to point the finger, but this has all the hallmarks of a disgruntled manager, who knows he is being binned off, tipping off a journalist...

Or a disgruntled ex owner who when asked to resign won't and the usual legal/business procedures have to follow to get him out....yep in my opinion it's him who won't fuck off...yes I have sworn

12 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Why would corney? Makes no sense, he wanted to sell, he found the buyer, who was is a friend 

Corney said it was his friend..I don't think I read anywhere that Al did

business is business, fit and proper was done, deposit paid the FA, agreement/selling of the club was done, debentures agreed/landlords appeased . Al asked all previous board member were to resign (and did) except one.

this is the one whose main picture is the article...why would you not resign?

anyways...the timing is piss poor and to rock the boat.it should all about us staying up, pulling together to do it.  This is out of order

Wouldn't suprise me if other tabloids were approached with this story.

Edited by underdog

45 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

This thread is conspiracy theory central. Its like a game of guess who. Who leaked the story

- Simon Corney

- Richie Wellens

- Osmane Fane

- Keith Hill

- John Sheridan

Or ones not mentioned

- Tony Philliskirk

- Barry Owen

- Chaddy the owl.

Gary

41 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How on earth can Corney afford to buy back the club?

That in itself makes the article unbelievable.

Even more unbelievable was AL paying £3 million for the club ...just the club ....no property ...operational debts ....languishing in the relegation positions of the third tier ...very few saleable players

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Even more unbelievable was AL paying £3 million for the club ...just the club ....no property ...operational debts ....languishing in the relegation positions of the third tier ...very few saleable players

Can't help but feel that HMRC might be interested to hear that Corney was paid £3m. I assume he's declared it.....

10 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Very interesting, I'm sure I read somewhere previous that the club was actually sold for £1..that's £1 pound.

8 hours ago, rosa said:

Can't help but feel that HMRC might be interested to hear that Corney was paid £3m. I assume he's declared it.....

I am sure that Corney will be keen to tell HMRC about it because he will also be sitting on losses that he will want to offset against it 

1 minute ago, laticsmarra said:

I am sure that Corney will be keen to tell HMRC about it because he will also be sitting on losses that he will want to offset against it 

S that's all his money gone then??.hahah

1 hour ago, ghostofcecere said:

I would imagine there are ways of doing a deal like this “offshore” to avoid HMRC getting involved 

No. He was selling a UK based company. The loopholes, that usually involved an EBT, have been closed. Unless you never want to benefit from the sales proceeds that is. 

6 minutes ago, latics22 said:

That’s twice we have been sold for £1

It's more credible than £3m unless there is evidence available.  Even at £1 it certainly wasn't a bargain last time.

Edited by Dave_Og

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

?????

Absolute bargain for the three property developers.

They did then buy the land from the Council for about £3 million, which was slightly less than it was worth due to the terms of the council purchase.

12 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

?????

Absolute bargain for the three property developers.

Not aimed at you MB.  Like your posts generally.

Not a TTA apologist at all but they didn't buy OAFC for £1   That was Joy and Jarvis pre-administration (from Moore).

It cost TTA way more than that (est. £2m to get us out of liquidation) with no assets at all at the time - they had to buy the land later with their own cash for £4m), only the "good name" of OAFC and all it's "footballing" liabilities" including the contracts for Killen; Appleby; Swailes etc.).  If they hadn't we would have started at the lowest end of the footballing pyramid.  There is plenty of public information to confirm this.

They've fucked up agreed, but it has (and will continue to), cost them many millions which they will never recover.

Tough shit and caveat emptor.

Clearly some really don't understand the term "asset strippers".  They will never get back even 25% of the c. £20m what they "invested" even if they sell houses in Oldham at Mayfair/ NYC prices..

35 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Not aimed at you MB.  Like your posts generally.

Not a TTA apologist at all but they didn't buy OAFC for £1   That was Joy and Jarvis pre-administration (from Moore).

It cost TTA way more than that (est. £2m to get us out of liquidation) with no assets at all at the time - they had to buy the land later with their own cash for £4m), only the "good name" of OAFC and all it's "footballing" liabilities" including the contracts for Killen; Appleby; Swailes etc.).  If they hadn't we would have started at the lowest end of the footballing pyramid.  There is plenty of public information to confirm this.

They've fucked up agreed, but it has (and will continue to), cost them many millions which they will never recover.

Tough shit and caveat emptor.

Clearly some really don't understand the term "asset strippers".  They will never get back even 25% of the c. £20m what they "invested" even if they sell houses in Oldham at Mayfair/ NYC prices..

Out of interest how much is Corney in for?

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Out of interest how much is Corney in for?

I don't know.  I'd guess it's a hell of a lot though.

Probably a lot less than his mates but I guess would be into the millions. 

Pretty easy when you read facts in the public domain rather than emotional bollocks.