"Best squad in years"

I’ve NEVER bought this best , most talented squad thing tbh. Isn’t it rolled out every season too ? Won’t it be rolled out next also ? We’ve been terrible for years. I’d say the last time we had a decent team was Shez the first time. However I still think a half decent manager would have got us to fucking 17th 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

9 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I’ve NEVER bought this best , most talented squad thing tbh. Isn’t it rolled out every season too ? Won’t it be rolled out next also ? We’ve been terrible for years. I’d say the last time we had a decent team was Shez the first time. However I still think a half decent manager would have got us to fucking 17th 

And he would have if he'd started the season as manager.

Just now, palmer1 said:

And he would have if he'd started the season as manager.

Wellens ? If so with what as evidence ? We got progressively  worse ? We’ve just needed a win against teams with nothing to play for and he couldn’t even motivate for that ! I think from the start he would have us about a point different from Bury. I see no difference between him and Dunn. 

Or have I misunderstood your post ? Hopefully the latter as I tend to agree with a lot of your posts. 

His win/point ratio keeps us up over a full season comfortable. Moimbe pulling hair and Placides errors today send us down plus other individuals over the season. 

Style rather than tactics have been an issue but individuals and circumstances have cost us.

Edited by palmer1

Says it all about this team when our young defenders score the goals and both played for their shirts.Shame on most of the others .Just wish we had their number 6 on our side.He won everything and our so called strikers never won a ball.Very poor performance which we were lucky to draw.

Anyway on to next season now starting in the old fourth division which is when I started supporting them.

Edited by Flemboy
Spelling

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Maybe we should give him a 5 year contract. You know, to keep us stable. 

Let him see out his contract like Dale did with Hill as he's a great manager up of down right?

But we’ve been on the slide for quite some time now and he was totally unable to change it. He admittedly started off well but that seems to be the exception not the rule. He’s made so many bizarre decisions it’s unbelievable. I wanted him to succeed but it was inevitable. After the Rochdale game I would have sacked him as from the I am actually surprised we managed another point. People say who would we have got ? I’d give the fucking tea lady a chance after that !! It was plain to see he’d lost the plot imo. 

8 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

His win/point ratio keeps us up over a full season comfortable. Moimbe pulling hair and Placides errors today send us down plus other individuals over the season. 

Style rather than tactics have been an issue but individuals and circumstances have cost us.

It’s the ‘if my auntie had bollocks’ arguement again. 

How do you know he he would repeated his points to games ratio? You don’t. Your guessing. 

All we can assess is his games in charge, and for every 2 points dropped against the gills, there’s a point gained away at dale. When we deserved nothing. 

How are style and tactics different?? 

And again, for every individual mistake, there’s an individual bit of good play - Placide’s Penalty save at dale. 

On the pitch. An I stress on the pitch, our tactics, (style) and team selection have been woeful. 

Perhaps cup runs are a bit of a canary down the mine - seemed to lack any real bite with those this year.

This squad wasn’t capable of another Liverpool or Everton.

Desire/Management?

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The ability of the players hasnt been the issue the character or lack of it has, and thats what has sent us down.

This for me - we need a manager who can motivate and get the team competing at the right level and tempo. Too many strolling around yesterday just not wanting it enough.

6 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Best midfield and front line for years.

Worst defence the club has ever had.

That is why we are down

Not having that - Gerrard, Clarke, Hunt, Bryan, Moimbe, Dummigan and Wilson should all be able to do a job at this level and thats before you count the kids who've come in and showed real promise.

The team has lacked two vital things at the back, a keeper who can organise a back four and a commanding centrehalf in a similar mould, all the defenders we have at our disposal are not leaders, none are vocal which was highlighted perfectly by Edmondson coming in and showing some of the older heads how it should be done.

Take the armband situation Doyle, Davies, Gerrard and Byrne have all had a go since Clarke went yet none of them could organise a piss up in a brewery, most disappointing for me though has been Byrne who nobody seems to be able to control,  what a fucking waste of a talent that lad is and the sad thing is he'd be capable of carrying that team all on his own at our level. 

In our squad we have some of the best individuals that we've had in League One.  Byrne is brilliantly talented despite his flaws, Doyle has a better goals per game ratio that most strikers who have been here, Bryan has the talent and style to play at a higher level in the near future.  Even secondary players like Dummigan, Moimbe, Davies, Placide, Nazon etc. are clearly good enough to play in League One.

What we lacked throughout the whole season was a balanced squad.  In that respect it was up there with the worst squads we've had.  At the start of the season we had a certain amount of continuity from the previous season, but we didn't have a natural left back, Clarke and Gerrard at centre back were too similar, our choice in central midfield was Fane, Green, Banks and Fawns, Davies and Holloway was our best option up front!  That's even before mentioning the goalkeeper situation.

As the season went on the squad got better players in but it certainly wasn't balanced for the most part.  Byrne ended up as a right-sided midfielder, Gardner and Fane, despite having obvious qualities, aren't what I'd class as decent holding midfielders.  We brought a lot of AL's players in as squad fillers but you had a big group of players who understood the English lower leagues and a big group who didn't, which will never lead to a happy dressing room.  Letting Clarke and Green go might've made sense from a playing point of view but they are two characters that I'd certainly want in my squad for a relegation battle.

There are many other instances but I'm a bit bored of going through them.

I actually don't mind if AL has links to talent that he wants to give an opportunity to next season.  Some of the players he's brought in have been decent, but what he must do is have some key players throughout the team that will make us function.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Some players have been decent? 

Placide... Probably cost us more points than saved. Odd camera save but a poor keeper. 

Moimbe...sent of twice and cost us points. Average defender at best

Omrani... Need no words

Mouche... Who? 

Nepo... Half decent... A tryer but not irreplaceable 

Gilfy whatever his name is.... Invisivle man

Who did AL bring in who makes you think any of his other signings are worthwhile? 

Looking at the run-in we had, to not pick up even one victory against Gillingham, Walsall, Northampton, Southend, Oxford, Rochdale, Wimbledon and Doncaster is criminal. Even if we had a poor squad I’d expect them to rally together for a single victory in those fixtures

Bottejob bastards

5 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Looking at the run-in we had, to not pick up even one victory against Gillingham, Walsall, Northampton, Southend, Oxford, Rochdale, Wimbledon and Doncaster is criminal. Even if we had a poor squad I’d expect them to rally together for a single victory in those fixtures

Bottejob bastards

When you think we survived in this division with the likes of the McNivens, Hotte, Innes, Wolfenden, Barlow and Sugden it does makes you think.

Edited by BP1960