"Best squad in years"

Last season was unique.  Lemsagam's first season watching then as owner.  His prerogative if he wishes to bring in players from a market he knows.  

This last half-season was gaining experience of whether tgat type of player would sink or swim in our league.  He now knows what is needed with some steel.

Will he continue to sign the same and struggle?  Of course he won't - he wants his club to succeed and from first impressions , he'll be loving the chance of a promotion run in a league below (admittedly not guaranteed)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So who do we keep from this "Best squad in years"?

Hamer, Edmunson, Gerrard, Byrne and Gardner for me.  That's it.

If somehow we can Clarke back to lead us that would be ideal.

I'm not a fan of Gerrard, even more so that we have gone down and he's sat in the stand. We can't rely on him looking after himself in the week either.

Edited by welshgaz

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So who do we keep from this "Best squad in years"?

Hamer, Edmunson, Gerrard, Byrne and Gardner for me.  That's it.

Plus Davies, Dummigan and Hunt.

Minded to give McEleney a proper pre-season, but don't hold out much hope. 

Do players at our level have relegation clauses?  If so then it could be out our hands.

Out of starting 11 yesterday, I predict the following come first game of season;

Placide - gone

Hunt - gone

Edmundson - here

Hamer - gone

Moimbe - gone 

Gardner - here

Pringle - gone

Nepomuceno - here 

Byrne - gone 

Doyle - gone

Nazon - gone

3/11

45 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Plus Davies, Dummigan and Hunt.

Minded to give McEleney a proper pre-season, but don't hold out much hope. 

Think I'd take or leave all of these.  If someone offered us a fee for Hunt I'd take it, I think.

Davies  - another year older, is a bit hit and miss and has the tendency to fall out with people, it would appear.

Dummigan - apart from his goal against Bradford, and having seen him play dozens of times probably, I don't really know anything about him.

McEleney - Too early to write him off I suppose, but other than a mazy run in the already-lost game at Wigan, I've not been overly impressed..

Edited by JoeP

We don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water. There’s players in this squad who’ll be more than capable in L2, even if a few have under performed this season. Our best chance is to build upon our team, not to gut it completely.

28 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

We don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water. There’s players in this squad who’ll be more than capable in L2, even if a few have under performed this season. Our best chance is to build upon our team, not to gut it completely.

I agree to an extent, but do these players deserve another go?  They're not winners - they've been relegated.  The worst thing we can do is keep them all together as we'll just take this season's form into next.

We might have the start of a decent spine with Gerrard and Byrne, but we need a starting keeper and a main striker as an absolute priority.

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We might have the start of a decent spine with Gerrard and Byrne, but we need a starting keeper and a main striker as an absolute priority.

I can’t imagine either being keen on sticking around in League 2 and considering Jack Byrne can spit his dummy out at the best of times a Byrne who doesn’t want to be here isn’t one we want.

i do think Peter Clarke will be very effective in league 2 though and I think we have him contracted for another year 

6-7 of the right type of players with the emphasis on signing players with the right character (leaders) is all it takes to turn this team around so that we are mounting a serious challenge for promotion next season.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 hours ago, Fruitygoo said:

Some players have been decent? 

Placide... Probably cost us more points than saved. Odd camera save but a poor keeper. 

Moimbe...sent of twice and cost us points. Average defender at best

Omrani... Need no words

Mouche... Who? 

Nepo... Half decent... A tryer but not irreplaceable 

Gilfy whatever his name is.... Invisivle man

Who did AL bring in who makes you think any of his other signings are worthwhile? 

For me, Placide, Moimbe, Nepomuceno and Nazon have been decent.  Not great but decent.

Doubt Placide will stay regardless but would prefer another keeper, he’s been OK but nothing special with the potential for a clanger and it looked like nerves affected him quite badly yesterday too. 

Got to keep at least two of Hamer, Edmundson and Stott, would be happy if we added an experienced, rough leader in there with them. Could be Clarke but unsure if his legs are there anymore and whether he’ll even want to play another season. Gerrard is on a wage and is injured too much for me. 

Full-backs - doubt Hunt will stay and hopefully we can get some cash for him. Also doubt Moimbe will stay, he can do a job in League One if he keeps his head. I think we can keep Dummigan and he’s a good player in League Two, so add another full back to start.

Gardner won’t get another League One club and he will be effective in League Two, I’m happy to keep him and he’s actually looked arsed about us too. Uncertain about Fane (whether or not Lemsagam is binning him off aside) - he looks good when he pulls off the big tackles but he’s often out of position and can’t be trusted with the ball at his feet. Would love to I keep Byrne, with a manager he likes he’d be up there with the best of them in L2 but I’m resigned to him leaving. McEleney hasn’t impressed much but is he worth another go based on how well regarded he is? So we probably need at least two starting midfielders, one of them who can give Gardner a bit of freedom too. 

Hope Nepomuceno stays and think he might well do. Would like McLaughlin to stick around but he’s worth a gamble to a L1 team that they can keep him fit. Need to find someone with true pace out there.

I would keep Davies no questions asked, he winds fans up but he scores goals and he will be a nightmare for L2 defences. Obviously not going to keep Doyle or Nazon. Davies needs someone’s to play off him if he’s going to stay, or at least get the wingers running in off the flanks behind him. 

There’s a nice core there to build around in a weaker league and we can be effective if we can keep hold of them, add some players who want to be here and get a manager who can actually organise and motivate a team. I’m still not hopeful.

There really isn’t a case for keeping Placide, or Gerrard either for that matter. They’ve been two integral parts of a defence that’s conceded 75 goals this season, the 2nd worst in the division. Funnily enough we also scored the same amount as Charlton. If only we had a decent defence this season. That’s where our money should have gone in January, instead of re-signing an injured Doyle who wouldn’t play for over a month.

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

There really isn’t a case for keeping Placide, or Gerrard either for that matter. They’ve been two integral parts of a defence that’s conceded 75 goals this season, the 2nd worst in the division. Funnily enough we also scored the same amount as Charlton. If only we had a decent defence this season. That’s where our money should have gone in January, instead of re-signing an injured Doyle who wouldn’t play for over a month.

I don't totally buy into this.  I could take or leave it with Placide, Gerrard and most of the defence.  The lack of protection from the midfield is just as much of a problem.

3 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

And another number 10, he really is clueless! Has he been sacked yet?