League 2 activity

Saw the full list of teams in the league for next season and it looks much stronger on paper in my opinion, Swindon, Walsall, Scunthorpe, Bradford, Plymouth, Colchester, Carlisle, Port Vale and Northampton, feels like we spent many a season in the league above with most of those ..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Saw the full list of teams in the league for next season and it looks much stronger on paper in my opinion, Swindon, Walsall, Scunthorpe, Bradford, Plymouth, Colchester, Carlisle, Port Vale and Northampton, feels like we spent many a season in the league above with most of those ..

They're not teams. They are clubs. 

I think we’ll have to improve just to stay in League 2 next season. The 4 teams relegated plus Salford & Leyton Orient are not just going to make the numbers up and will all be capable of a top 7 finish.

We’ve lost both our CB’s and keeper and at the other end our leading scorer. In O’Grady & Benteke we’ll have the most ineffective strikers in the league by a country mile! Maouche and Branger are good technically but will be no use whatsoever if we become entrenched in a relegation battle.

A last minute influx of foreign recruits is definitely not the answer.....Unless we improve these key areas with real quality IMO we’re going to be up against it from the opening game. Al’s 3 year plan for promotion is a piss take. We are barely a month away from preseason, woefully short of players and without even a Manager or Coach.

God help us!!!

17 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I would only have seen him play maybe half a dozen times but he was among the best on the pitch in maybe half of those.  His ball to Erwin for a goal at Peterborough belonged to a higher class altogether; he won't be the first to fail here and succeed elsewhere.

You must have seen him at different games than me then Dave....agree he can pass a ball, but he was well below par most times I saw I him which were many

On 5/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, deyres42 said:

The lad can play, our fans just think that because he is tall he should be going round smashing everything in his path.

He had ability and was one of those "silky" players, no doubt about that. Someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they said something like "shithouse". He often backed out of uncomfortable 50/50 challenges etc. The majority of Latics' fans have never liked that in a player.

If you accept that weakness and play to his strengths - a useful player.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, oafc1955 said:

In O’Grady & Benteke we’ll have the most ineffective strikers in the league by a country mile! 

This - thoroughly depressing.

Granted, Benteke hasn't been given a proper run to see what he can do at this level. O`Grady should never pull a football shirt on again.

On 5/28/2019 at 8:42 AM, oafc1955 said:

I think we’ll have to improve just to stay in League 2 next season. The 4 teams relegated plus Salford & Leyton Orient are not just going to make the numbers up and will all be capable of a top 7 finish.

We’ve lost both our CB’s and keeper and at the other end our leading scorer. In O’Grady & Benteke we’ll have the most ineffective strikers in the league by a country mile! Maouche and Branger are good technically but will be no use whatsoever if we become entrenched in a relegation battle.

A last minute influx of foreign recruits is definitely not the answer.....Unless we improve these key areas with real quality IMO we’re going to be up against it from the opening game. Al’s 3 year plan for promotion is a piss take. We are barely a month away from preseason, woefully short of players and without even a Manager or Coach.

God help us!!!

This is more or less how I see things unfolding. Time is ticking on. 

We only managed mid table last season with squad we had and to scout Europe for players in hope they will blend into league two is not the answer. 

Apparently we have a larger playing budget this season - get it spent AL and spent wisely because we are going to need it

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Nadesan to Crawley, could be very good signing for them.

Carlisle fans were hoping he was returning there but he's moved to be closer to home.

Decent player!

41 minutes ago, singe said:

Northampton have re-signed NIcky Adams from Bury.

22 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Their 6th signing of the season!!

Keith Curle is doing a similar job with them as he did at Carlisle.  I expect them to be top 7 next season.

Hadn’t realised this and perhaps a reason for the lack of business?

The domestic transfer window opened on Thursday, May 16 – deals involving players from abroad can only be finalised from Saturday, June 8.

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Hadn’t realised this and perhaps a reason for the lack of business?

The domestic transfer window opened on Thursday, May 16 – deals involving players from abroad can only be finalised from Saturday, June 8.

Does that apply to managers too....?

Archived