League 2 activity

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, singe said:

Our friend Due Dilligence makes an appearance. 

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2020/1173.html

So what do we think?  Will the  FA be interested in the fact that an Agent and a Professional footballer, actually purchased part of Swindon Town FC against FA rules and deliberately kept it quiet.

They should be interested and consider some form of ban from future involvement in professional football, now that both those parties have gone on record as deliberately breaking FA rules and hiding the fact.

Salary cap: EFL proposes League One and League Two cap on wages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

A salary cap of £1.25m suggested for League 2... That’s a total wage bill of just over £100k per month. A squad of twenty-five (*) would mean each player receives £4K a month or less than a grand a week 😮 

The way around this naturally would be incentive/bonus schemes dependent upon success criteria- maybe not such a bad thing?

* Another proposal suggesting squads of twenty which would give each £5K per month.  

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Salary cap: EFL proposes League One and League Two cap on wages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

A salary cap of £1.25m suggested for League 2... That’s a total wage bill of just over £100k per month. A squad of twenty-five (*) would mean each player receives £4K a month or less than a grand a week 😮 

The way around this naturally would be incentive/bonus schemes dependent upon success criteria- maybe not such a bad thing?

* Another proposal suggesting squads of twenty which would give each £5K per month.  

If everyone was paid the same. 

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

So what do we think?  Will the  FA be interested in the fact that an Agent and a Professional footballer, actually purchased part of Swindon Town FC against FA rules and deliberately kept it quiet.

They should be interested and consider some form of ban from future involvement in professional football, now that both those parties have gone on record as deliberately breaking FA rules and hiding the fact.

Probably as interested as they were for us! ie not enough

I'm a fan of the salary cap in Leagues One and Two, it'll certainly help bring our house in order and stop any chance of fairly average players being paid £11k or £4k per week.  As Big Dog said, the clubs with bigger attendances will be able to offer more in bonuses and incentives so it's not like teams don't have the opportunity to be flexible.

I'm also a fan of points deductions for late wages payments.  It's shocking how it's becoming standard practice for some clubs, us included but Macclesfield have probably been the most extreme case.

Not sure about limiting squad sizes to 20 though, especially with 8 academy-developed players included in that number.  There would have to be some relaxing of transfer windows because no club would be able to survive an injury crisis.

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

If everyone was paid the same. 

Aye. The figures used were average salaries. Interesting nonetheless that for every £2K per week salary in a squad of twenty-five, would mean either another two squad members would be on £500 or even four squad members on £750. 

Next step is going part time ...

A squad of 20 isn't enough to allow for injuries, illness and suspensions. 

Eight home grown players just isn't feasible, it would lower the standard of football considerably. If they go down this road then surely it can only be around three. Some clubs don't have academies any more because of the cost of running one. If the EFL are serious about this, then they need to ban the greedy league clubs from poaching.  

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Aye. The figures used were average salaries. Interesting nonetheless that for every £2K per week salary in a squad of twenty-five, would mean either another two squad members would be on £500 or even four squad members on £750. 

Next step is going part time ...

I'd be surprised if many of our lads are on more than 39k per year (that 750 figure). Especially given only six have resisted furlough.

I should add it seems a very good wage for a fourth division footballer.

For me it should be about the overall financial structure of a club. If a very wealthy person wants to buy the team he/she supports and pump in a few hundred million to take them from League 2 to the Champions league then good luck to them but I would have strict financial controls that say you can't lend the club money, it all has to be capitalised and become the clubs money and if you want to sign big name players on big money then you have to put money into escrow accounts to cover some or all of their total contract commitment 

Frankly this is even more important in the higher divisions, especially the Championship where clubs are literally gambling everything on getting to the promised land of the greedy league

Of course there is no way our greedy and incompetent football authorities would ever be this brave so a wage cap may be the best we can hope for but it will be hugely distorted by the bigger clubs offering bonuses or other payments in kind I suspect 

Talk of L1 and 2 clubs going to he wall, surely Championship clubs are in even more danger. They mostly have bigger stadiums and more staff than the lower league clubs, and pay silly money to the players. They are also losing much more of match day revenue.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

There's no rush, we probably won't be playing until 2022 !!

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Many football clubs will be liquidated if there’s no football until 2021!!

That's why I said probably.🙂

I can't see much future for any but Premiership and bigger Championship clubs and the odd one's at our end of the spectrum unless he situation changes in the next few months.

Hope I'm way off the mark.

Just done a couple of calculations. 

Macc collected 36 points from 37 games which is 0. 97 points per game. On that basis over the 9 remaining games you'd expect them to get 9 points which would leave them on 34 points. 

Stevenage work out at 0.61 points per game. 6 points from their remaining 10 matches would leave them on 28 points. Unless the EFL Dock them 6 points or more, Macclesfield should be OK. 

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Just done a couple of calculations. 

Macc collected 36 points from 37 games which is 0. 97 points per game. On that basis over the 9 remaining games you'd expect them to get 9 points which would leave them on 34 points. 

Stevenage work out at 0.61 points per game. 6 points from their remaining 10 matches would leave them on 28 points. Unless the EFL Dock them 6 points or more, Macclesfield should be OK. 

The Guardian clearly didn't do the same calculations, seems like a half-arsed story on their part.

Although the points-per-game isn't confirmed yet & the EFL seem to have it in for Macclesfield, so who knows what will happen.

Archived