Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Simpo

League 2 activity

Recommended Posts

Swindon have form. Many years ago my company was a supplier to them, amounts were small, £500 typically but getting a cheque from them was as rare as a Segbe goal and every couple of years the limited company would go under and miraculously reappear as Swindon Town 1992 or something

 

Always disliked them 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, singe said:

Our friend Due Dilligence makes an appearance. 

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2020/1173.html

So what do we think?  Will the  FA be interested in the fact that an Agent and a Professional footballer, actually purchased part of Swindon Town FC against FA rules and deliberately kept it quiet.

 

They should be interested and consider some form of ban from future involvement in professional football, now that both those parties have gone on record as deliberately breaking FA rules and hiding the fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salary cap: EFL proposes League One and League Two cap on wages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

 

A salary cap of £1.25m suggested for League 2... That’s a total wage bill of just over £100k per month. A squad of twenty-five (*) would mean each player receives £4K a month or less than a grand a week 😮 

 

The way around this naturally would be incentive/bonus schemes dependent upon success criteria- maybe not such a bad thing?

 

 

* Another proposal suggesting squads of twenty which would give each £5K per month.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Salary cap: EFL proposes League One and League Two cap on wages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

 

A salary cap of £1.25m suggested for League 2... That’s a total wage bill of just over £100k per month. A squad of twenty-five (*) would mean each player receives £4K a month or less than a grand a week 😮 

 

The way around this naturally would be incentive/bonus schemes dependent upon success criteria- maybe not such a bad thing?

 

 

* Another proposal suggesting squads of twenty which would give each £5K per month.  

 

If everyone was paid the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't see the salary cap being an issue for us. The automatic points deductions for late wages on the other hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pidge said:

So what do we think?  Will the  FA be interested in the fact that an Agent and a Professional footballer, actually purchased part of Swindon Town FC against FA rules and deliberately kept it quiet.

 

They should be interested and consider some form of ban from future involvement in professional football, now that both those parties have gone on record as deliberately breaking FA rules and hiding the fact.

Probably as interested as they were for us! ie not enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of the salary cap in Leagues One and Two, it'll certainly help bring our house in order and stop any chance of fairly average players being paid £11k or £4k per week.  As Big Dog said, the clubs with bigger attendances will be able to offer more in bonuses and incentives so it's not like teams don't have the opportunity to be flexible.

 

I'm also a fan of points deductions for late wages payments.  It's shocking how it's becoming standard practice for some clubs, us included but Macclesfield have probably been the most extreme case.

 

Not sure about limiting squad sizes to 20 though, especially with 8 academy-developed players included in that number.  There would have to be some relaxing of transfer windows because no club would be able to survive an injury crisis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

 

If everyone was paid the same. 

Aye. The figures used were average salaries. Interesting nonetheless that for every £2K per week salary in a squad of twenty-five, would mean either another two squad members would be on £500 or even four squad members on £750. 

 

Next step is going part time ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A squad of 20 isn't enough to allow for injuries, illness and suspensions. 

 

Eight home grown players just isn't feasible, it would lower the standard of football considerably. If they go down this road then surely it can only be around three. Some clubs don't have academies any more because of the cost of running one. If the EFL are serious about this, then they need to ban the greedy league clubs from poaching.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Aye. The figures used were average salaries. Interesting nonetheless that for every £2K per week salary in a squad of twenty-five, would mean either another two squad members would be on £500 or even four squad members on £750. 

 

Next step is going part time ...

 

I'd be surprised if many of our lads are on more than 39k per year (that 750 figure). Especially given only six have resisted furlough.

 

I should add it seems a very good wage for a fourth division footballer.

Edited by jsslatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give them a salary the club can afford, with decent bonuses for actual achievements .......works in most businesses , not the fantasy world lower league football lives in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it should be about the overall financial structure of a club. If a very wealthy person wants to buy the team he/she supports and pump in a few hundred million to take them from League 2 to the Champions league then good luck to them but I would have strict financial controls that say you can't lend the club money, it all has to be capitalised and become the clubs money and if you want to sign big name players on big money then you have to put money into escrow accounts to cover some or all of their total contract commitment 

 

Frankly this is even more important in the higher divisions, especially the Championship where clubs are literally gambling everything on getting to the promised land of the greedy league

 

Of course there is no way our greedy and incompetent football authorities would ever be this brave so a wage cap may be the best we can hope for but it will be hugely distorted by the bigger clubs offering bonuses or other payments in kind I suspect 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk of L1 and 2 clubs going to he wall, surely Championship clubs are in even more danger. They mostly have bigger stadiums and more staff than the lower league clubs, and pay silly money to the players. They are also losing much more of match day revenue.

Edited by al_bro
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many football clubs will be liquidated if there’s no football until 2021!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

There's no rush, we probably won't be playing until 2022 !!

 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Many football clubs will be liquidated if there’s no football until 2021!!

That's why I said probably.🙂

I can't see much future for any but Premiership and bigger Championship clubs and the odd one's at our end of the spectrum unless he situation changes in the next few months.

Hope I'm way off the mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piergianni was under contract until 2021 anyway.

I hadn’t realised they had signed James Wilson😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...