2018 Sell, Release or Keep. Goalkeepers

2018 Sell Release Keep. GK.  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Zeus de la Paz (2019)

2. 2. Johny Placide (2019)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2019 at 10:45 AM

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Gone through about 720 degrees on Placide. Watched him in the warm up at Rotherham he had 86 shots taken at him and conceded 74 so I felt reasonably safe saying he was shit.

Then he played and I loved him.

Then I met him and he couldn’t speak a word of English, his kid did some translating, which worried me in terms of organising a defence. I also realised how small he is. 

Then some racist on here called me a liar and claimed to have had a full conversation with him ??

Then his mum died and he was shit again, but massive kudos for coming back so soon as we needed him. With hindsight this was a mistake.

Then he picked up again for a couple of games either side of rochdale.

Then saturday happened.

Might have been me that, I was passing on what my mate had told me... that he speaks good English when they were in conversation after Bradford away, I ended up in hospital but was fairly sure this was what they said. Definitely not racist however.

Agree with the rest, I’ve changed my mind so much on wether I like him or not - he has had a few absolute stinkers and cost us crucial goals, he’s also kept us in games. Would probably try to find better, if not... he’ll do for league two. 

21 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

Might have been me that, I was passing on what my mate had told me... that he speaks good English when they were in conversation after Bradford away, I ended up in hospital but was fairly sure this was what they said. Definitely not racist however.

Agree with the rest, I’ve changed my mind so much on wether I like him or not - he has had a few absolute stinkers and cost us crucial goals, he’s also kept us in games. Would probably try to find better, if not... he’ll do for league two. 

I should have said ‘casual racist’ like Lee Sinnott and that other chap ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, yarddogs said:

Ripley from Middlesbrough pretty sure we didn’t do that well last season.

I thought he did well - we didn’t concede many goals? It was a problem up front last season. Do goalies score goals these days? 

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Plenty of good goalkeepers out there, you need to watch them regularly before signing.

I suspect the club have taken some without even seeing them play in a competitive game.

Not just keepers

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Plenty of good goalkeepers out there, you need to watch them regularly before signing.

I suspect the club have taken some without even seeing them play in a competitive game.

I was watching David Raya playing for Southport whilst watching someone for another club. Told oafc and was told wasn’t interested just been named in team of the year I think. 

Andrew Fisher GK at Blackburn another one to watch just won premier league 2. Superb shot stopper. 

10 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

I was watching David Raya playing for Southport whilst watching someone for another club. Told oafc and was told wasn’t interested just been named in team of the year I think. 

Andrew Fisher GK at Blackburn another one to watch just won premier league 2. Superb shot stopper. 

Hope someone at the club is following them up Adam.

Connor Ripley back at Boundary Park would be what I would be striving for.

Johnny has been pretty good and entertaining at times but Ripley was on a totally different level for us the season before. Ok he hasn’t been the same at Bury but we’ve seen his class first hand and he’s the best goalkeeper we’ve had for years. I’d be pulling out all the stops to get him. League 2 football might be the stumbling block though, as it probably will be for a lot of decent players that we might look at.

Consistently is key with a goalkeeper, unfortunately with placide he can either win you a game or loose you a game, not something that instills confidence in supporters or defenders , provided us with the spectacular but also the howlers, we need a goalkeeper not a pantomime act, sorry placide but I think we can do better