Digging Around Looking For Positives

1 hour ago, Buckshawlatic said:

I really don’t think promotion back to the graveyard of the last 21 years will warrant a bus 

*if it happens 

Lots of people assuming we'll be competitive and/or go straight back up.  Something I find odd, as a club we are a bit more suited to league two.

What worries me is we will follow suit of Tranmere, Stockport and Leyton Orient before us and end up out of the football league.  I'm not usually one for knee jerk sackings but Wellens should be gone by now and we should be on the search already to start over and prepare for next season.

1 minute ago, joncurtis199 said:

Lots of people assuming we'll be competitive and/or go straight back up.  Something I find odd, as a club we are a bit more suited to league two.

What worries me is we will follow suit of Tranmere, Stockport and Leyton Orient before us and end up out of the football league.  I'm not usually one for knee jerk sackings but Wellens should be gone by now and we should be on the search already to start over and prepare for next season.

I don’t see a lot of people assuming that at all, I see a lot of realistic people. Maybe some hoping we do well. 

My first season watching Latics was in Division 4 in the 1970-71 season. We were promoted, finishing 3rd, and scoring 88 league goals. In all competitions Jim Fryatt and David Shaw scored 50 goals between them! That's why I'm a Latics fan. It's been a long journey, with many 'ups' on the way.

:latics:

37 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

My first season watching Latics was in Division 4 in the 1970-71 season. We were promoted, finishing 3rd, and scoring 88 league goals. In all competitions Jim Fryatt and David Shaw scored 50 goals between them! That's why I'm a Latics fan. It's been a long journey, with many 'ups' on the way.

Wow that is fantastic as it's just what I did.

I was 16 then and that is when the "bug" that is being a Latics fan got me. Yes I have missed a few games. holidays, family, etc but it's my club. It has had different people being custodians, some good some bad, some very Indifferent staff, shabby players, cracking players, managers who were great and some who were unable to manage them self but at the end of the day, IT'S MY CLUB.

Roll on League 2 and let's get ready for a ride and get behind our team - whoever they are!!

All the best to all fellow 'tics 

Cheers - Brian.:comeon:

1 hour ago, joncurtis199 said:

It could go anyway we are no closer to knowing what next season has in store. If lessons are learned then it wont take too much tweaking to get us very competitive that in itself could make next season very exciting. 

3 hours ago, Handsy said:

Only have to finish above two teams to avoid relegation  is the biggest positive for me 

I agree, I think this is the one big positive to take from the situation.

Although I suppose fans of Hartlepool, Orient, Bin dippers etc etc etc thought the same.

Jesus we must be capable of finishing above 2 teams in this division, surely.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Signing Doyle would go some way to appeasing the fans and setting out our intentions, I'm hoping a decent signing or two will give everyone a lift.

Be amazed if Doyle signed especially for us in league 2, only glimmer of hope would be if Wellens stayed as they appear to be close 

1 minute ago, Brisbaneblue said:

Be amazed if Doyle signed especially for us in league 2, only glimmer of hope would be if Wellens stayed as they appear to be close 

Look elsewhere.

3 hours ago, LaticMark said:

I started the season before (albeit halfway through). The 70/71 season was goals all the way, that got me the bug, let's hope we can go that way again, when you score goals for fun a feel good factor is there, gung ho has served us well in the past bollocks to safe football.

Edited by disjointed

46 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I started the season before (albeit halfway through). The 70/71 season was goals all the way, that got me the bug, let's hope we can go that way again, when you score goals for fun a feel good factor is there, gung ho has served us well in the past bollocks to safe football.

Pretty much the same for me after my school mates told me to stop going over to watch Don Revies team on my motorbike and come for the first time ever to see Latics.That was in 1970.I was hooked on the free flowing attacking football under Jimmy Frizzell,bought a scarf,which I still wear and the rest is history.A lifetime of ups and downs and now back to where it all started.I'm looking forwards to starting again

I started supporting latics in the old 4th div & we had to apply for re-election.

Don't know why most are whinging about relegation,  we've had 21 years in league 1 and the vast majority of it has been spent fighting relegation. Most of the football has been dire except for a couple of seasons flirting with the play offs.

The last 6-7 years have been bordering on suicidal and now we have finally had the trapdoor opened on us.

Something had to give as we can't go on as we are and one of 2 things will happen now.

1/ regroup and AL and some new directors can invest so we come back stronger.

2/ we do a Chesterfield and drop again.

Personally I think AL was fully aware of the problems and getting relegated , whilst not in his plans , wasn't going to stop his long term plans.

I think this week will show what future we can expect next season !!

11 hours ago, Brisbaneblue said:

He probably doesn’t want to play for us based on our style of football the second half of the season, no-one would. 

He did play for Portsmouth in League 2 last season

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

To say BP is a scout he takes a very reactionary short term view on players...

WAS.

I don’t doubt he was good in his time but the game has moved on. 

The football back in the day was a lot slower with crazy dangerous tackling and a bloody heavy ball. Players diets were terrible. I’d say BP’s judgement has been on the wane for a good number of years.

How anyone can criticise Doyle is baffling. To score as many as he did and even to miss as many chances as he did (good enough to be in the position in the first place) in a relegated team who only played decent football for a quarter of a season is remarkable.

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Signing Doyle would go some way to appeasing the fans and setting out our intentions, I'm hoping a decent signing or two will give everyone a lift.

No way Doyle will be playing in L2 next season. In fact, it’s going to be hard recruiting any decent (non foreign) players next season.

6 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Weirdly, it was an away day I was looking forward to (like a Mockney Oldham). They always seemed to make a racket in that right hand side next to our end.

Weidest entrance to get in the away end.