Club Statement(Lack of one)

1 minute ago, Hands on said:

Well a contrite Wellens attempting to be upbeat.  They know who they want to keep and who to get rid.  Players of character.  Pity they disciplined one of the players of character and shot themselves in the foot.

depends what he did though, if it is to be believed he's been caught insulting other players in his native tounge then he's a bad character and not what we need.

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Well a contrite Wellens attempting to be upbeat.  They know who they want to keep and who to get rid.  Players of character.  Pity they disciplined one of the players of character and shot themselves in the foot.

You don’t know why he was disciplined. 

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

You can't say that, can you - unless you know why he was disciplined? It's irrelevant anyway as the rest of them should have manned up and got us out of the hole.

If a player misbehaves, I don't care if he's Leo Messi - there are consequences. Otherwise, anarchy rules.

46 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Excellent news if he is staying on.

Mmmm. 

The one saving grace with wellens, is he will hold AL’s feet to fire regarding another influx of French lads, I think he genuinely gives a shit about the club. Which is a good thing. 

But.

We want a football manager as well, preferably one who wins more than he loses. 

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well, he's gone now and the statement says "...been removed..." which could be taken as a direct action or a matter of course, depending on how you view the situation.  I have to admit, Saturday was a real let down for me, I honestly thought the club would scrape out of relegation but it wasn't to be. I am not the young man I used to be, who lived and breathed for football at the weekends and all it brought with it...I am more pragmatic now and as disappointed as I am, I don't feel the gut-wrench I would have once experienced and did experience from the two relegations previous to this one.

It's each to their own and I fully understand how miserable a lot of fans will feel, especially the younger end who have never been through this with their club and who desperately wanted to witness the joy of promotion as those with longer associations will have done. I can only say that relegation changes nothing for me, I will still support and enjoy the moments when they come our way. Life in League Two will not be a cakewalk although I am not in the frame of mind that Latics will experience the downward spiral some on this board are predicting...and those people have every right to express their own valid concerns.

If Wellens is staying, as his interview would suggest, I am happy with that. The terrible merry-go-round of managers in recent club history has been farcical and I hope that Lemsagam will have the nerve to hold steady and support the manager in the hope that stability will prevail and get the club back up the league ladder.

Come the new season, we go again.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

depends what he did though, if it is to be believed he's been caught insulting other players in his native tounge then he's a bad character and not what we need.

We've all been insulting them in English, or something like it, all season though.... 

Released
Brian Wilson
Tope Obadeyi
Abdelhakim Omrani
Paul Green
Ollie Banks
Mason Fawns
Kallum Mantack

Contracts Offered To 
Jamie Stott
Ryan McLaughlin

Options Taken
Cameron Dummigan
Ousmane Fane

In Discussions With
Wilfried Moimbe
Jonathan Benteke
Gevaro Nepomuceno

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/may/08052018-seven-players-to-leave-the-club/

What are we discussing with Benteke he couldnt get into this team is that not telling us something?

Surprised we have offered mclaughlin a deal doubt he will take it. Glad the option has been taken on Dummigan slightly surprised with Fane wouldnt be surprised if they both moved on though.

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

What are we discussing with Benteke he couldnt get into this team is that not telling us something?

It was stated that Benteke was "one for the future" so it's not really surprising we would offer a continuation if the price is right.

35 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It was stated that Benteke was "one for the future" so it's not really surprising we would offer a continuation if the price is right.

Hes 23 hes older than both Hamer and Edmondson he has scored a total of 4 goals in his entire career. Im bit concerned if hes the future.

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Hes 23 hes older than both Hamer and Edmondson he has scored a total of 4 goals in his entire career. Im bit concerned if hes the future.

Why? He hasn't exactly played that much. Plenty of players knock around lower down till they're older. He was brought in to see if he had enough potential then they'd make a decision. He's obviously shown enough to get a deal. If he's shit then he's shit but FFS we've now got a player being judged on 5 minutes for the 1st team.

I've not been watching Latics since 1895, rubbed shoulders with Cloughie, made a lot of money through work or had a great football career but am pretty good at knowing if I like somebody after speaking with them for about 5 minutes. Unfortunately I need to see someone play/work for a lot longer than that to assess their ability, unlike some of the posters on here.

55 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why? He hasn't exactly played that much. Plenty of players knock around lower down till they're older. He was brought in to see if he had enough potential then they'd make a decision. He's obviously shown enough to get a deal. If he's shit then he's shit but FFS we've now got a player being judged on 5 minutes for the 1st team.

Im judging him on the basis that he couldnt get into this team and his career record to date which is crap. Our record with the #frenchlads has hardly been a sucess either has it.

Now if he proves to be a wonderful success I will happily come on here and admit I was wrong but 

You do realise people at our football club get things wrong dont you?

Edited by GlossopLatic

35 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I've not been watching Latics since 1895, rubbed shoulders with Cloughie, made a lot of money through work or had a great football career but am pretty good at knowing if I like somebody after speaking with them for about 5 minutes. Unfortunately I need to see someone play/work for a lot longer than that to assess their ability, unlike some of the posters on here.

Are you me?:D

34 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Im judging him on the basis that he couldnt get into this team and his career record to date which is crap. Our record with the #frenchlads has hardly been a sucess either has it.

Now if he proves to be a wonderful success I will happily come on here and admit I was wrong but 

You do realise people at our football club get things wrong dont you?

Yes of course they get things wrong but at least their judgement is based (in this case) on seeing a player day in day out in training and in reserve games. He was never brought in to feature this season (see Wellen's interviews)

31 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Really Since 1895 you must be the oldest supporter that we have then. No wonder you don't attend games I bet you are bed ridden. 

Lol..we are old and wise though.

Edited by BP1960