Club Statement(Lack of one)

35 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Only if you've more than one account !

I was a big fan of Bob Ledger, who played

every position for Latics including goalkeeper.. and he was good at that too.

Will the real BP1960 stand up.:D

Edited by BP1960

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I was a big fan of Bob Ledger.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I was a big fan of Bob Ledger.

Me too he scored some great goals from the right wing and similarly Whitaker on the left wing. If only we had such wingers today. 

12 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Me too he scored some great goals from the right wing and similarly Whitaker on the left wing. If only we had such wingers today. 

Agreed ..and Bob's skill of sending a ball sky high Gary Owen fashion to drop with snow onto panicky central defenders has been lost to the game, never seen anyone use it as a ploy since.

You won't find it it any coaching manual, but it was very effective.

Johnny Colqhoun another proper winger with heart. 

George McVitie, skilful winger, great crosser of the ball. 

Alan Groves had the lot, a joy to watch as were Rick Holden, Neil Adams and David Eyres.

I'd bring wingers back for sure.

Edited by BP1960

Saw Bob come out of the player's entrance with tears in his eyes after being told he was being transferred to Mansfield. It was not really de rigueur for a 15 year old to show such emotions at the time, but I confess now to having having a little eye-watering episode that evening. He was the epitome of the professional player every club needs and if we'd have had him in our team this season we WOULD have escaped the drop. 

Johnny Colquhoun got me out of a few canings as the Deputy Head at school was a great fan of his and often forgot my punishment after I'd eulogised on Johnny's performance the previous weekend !

Edited by Bobledgersheart
spelling error
  • Like 1

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Really good statement that. His intentions are good, made a few mistakes and he admits that. Looks like we will have a real good go next year. 

Correct. It would be lovely if everyone gave him a chance. Sad to hear that he's had some direct messages already that were probably rather unpleasant. This club is a mess and needs to be sorted out - Abdallah has taken on the job and deserves our support. 

That's the sort of inspiring statement we need.

Proof is in the pudding though, let's see what the recruitment is like, work on the pitch, the training ground, I'm very optimistic though.

I was very disappointed to hear from our players about the media article that appeared on the eve of the Northampton game that was intended to destabilise the club at a crucial time. I know that this was not the only occasion when outside influences have had an effect on the club and certain individuals and that must change. I have supported the manager as much as possible since taking control and in fact helped him secure ten players during the transfer window in January .

Interesting he heard about the article from the players, not the manager.

I don't see much benefit to Corney in the article, nor destabilising the club of which he was a Director at the time, and clearly is damning of what was Corney has "bequeated". And rightly so.

I still wonder who the outside influences are. but David Dunn and Darren Kelly have been openly critical. which other insiders have an axe to grind?

But I accept you can over think these things. And also if RW stays then he didn't think it was him.

I really would not be surprised to see RW depart after that statement, but accept I could easily misread and he could easily stay.

We'll know soon enough.

So Fane did something so bad that he was binned when Benyu was the only other centre midfield available yet the option on his contract has been taken up.  Would it have made a difference?  Who knows some were glad Fane didn't play but I for one would always play him with the group we had - could have just fined him.  Of course it might be possible the option was exercised to see if someone will give us some money for him.

Some of you seek adversity.  No doubt the players mentioned the article but that does not mean the manager did not.

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Told ya we are going up...

E I E I E I O......... :scarf001:

I'm not getting over excited.

Actions, not words.

We've been promised things many times before.

But, I'm cautious albeit very, very hopeful.

Edited by singe

Just what I was hoping for tbh

No false or unrealistic promises

A positive statement of intent, particularly the comment "I now have the opportunity in the close season to take a thorough look at every aspect of the Club to see what we can improve"

:chubb:

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What I'd  have liked to have read is the influx of imports didnt work out too well and in future we will leave all signings to the manager..Richie Wellens.

Its a cleverly worded statement in my view, declaring his intentions to rebuild our Club without committing too early to any individuals or particular part of our current operating structure

I havent read this "newspaper" article - wasn't the gist that the club is in a mess and players weren't getting paid, etc?

Why would Corney say that to the press when it's ultimately his own fault?

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I havent read this "newspaper" article - wasn't the gist that the club is in a mess and players weren't getting paid, etc?

Why would Corney say that to the press when it's ultimately his own fault?

It said that Corney was so worried about things he was thinking about coming back. A few days before he was due to be sacked by the Board. And he offered it to other reporters.

It was Corney.