Squad movements, summer 2018

Having squad harmony is great and all but having quality in your team wins you matches. I’ll take a few loose cannons if it gives us the quality to mount a top 7 challenge. 

Obviously, though, I’m ignorant to what has actually happened. If we’re suspending/getting shot of Byrne, it’d better be for a damn good reason.

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Having squad harmony is great and all but having quality in your team wins you matches. I’ll take a few loose cannons if it gives us the quality to mount a top 7 challenge. 

Obviously, though, I’m ignorant to what has actually happened. If we’re suspending/getting shot of Byrne, it’d better be for a damn good reason.

Both Frankie Bunn and Andy Rhodes have been involved with, and massively respected at higher ranked clubs than ours. Neither strike me as the type to be dictated to.

maybe, just maybe they see Byrne and Gerrard as bellends they’d rather do without?

and breaking a team mates leg in training may have tipped the scales for Byrne 

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

How often do u hear of players getting sacked , exstremly rare! If he’d been sacked he’d be all over Twitter now, it would be like all his Christmas had come at once. Don’t buy it personally 

I think you can interpret "contract cancelled/terminated" as "sacked". If so, it's not that unusual. Nile Ranger springs to mind.

51 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

England didn't do bad in the world cup with harmony, less quality than other nations and no loose cannons.

From the moment we were relegated I knew Byrne wasn’t going to play for us again one way or another. 

What worries me though, is how it looks like we’re freezing him out. I can only presume we’re paying his wages until another club takes him off our hands, and AL is going to make things as miserable as possible for him between now and then to force him out and off the payroll as early as possible. 

That’s an ugly way to do business, in my humble opinion. 

Though it’s possible - or probable - that Byrne had a strop of some sort and that is something AL will use to tear up his contract. 

Having said that, repeated late payments is obviously something a player could use against the club in the event of a standoff. 

Anyway - my point is it’s not pretty.  And while Byrne is easily branded a bad egg, the way things appear to be operating under AL don’t make him look like a particularly good egg...

I think AL might be a stark raving bonkers egg to be honest. 

Edited by Nohairdontcare

Most top managers would remove anyone who doesn’t believe in the managers plans and/or doesn’t fallow the standards and guidelines set by the manager. If Bunn feels like either of them are going to cause issues down the line then get rid and freeze out if needs be. The team is more important than individuals and you

will find most top managers believe in this and act accordingly . 

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Let the boy play and let the football do the talking. Got him for 2 more years...

Problem is, he didn't do much 'talking on the pitch' during the second half of the season. In fact, at times it was like playing with 10 men. I appreciate he was played ridiculously out of position but sulking, not tracking back, not putting in a shift and standing there arguing with fellow teammates has nothing to do with being played out of position. 

If....and that's a big if...there is a taker for him, fire him off and reinvest the 6k a week in somebody who maybe isn't Byrne's quality but a person with the right attitude, application and endeavour can be every bit as creative and important to the side.

Should we not have any takers and it gets to the window then we do, I accept have to try and get him back involved but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

54 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Problem is, he didn't do much 'talking on the pitch' during the second half of the season. In fact, at times it was like playing with 10 men. I appreciate he was played ridiculously out of position but sulking, not tracking back, not putting in a shift and standing there arguing with fellow teammates has nothing to do with being played out of position. 

If....and that's a big if...there is a taker for him, fire him off and reinvest the 6k a week in somebody who maybe isn't Byrne's quality but a person with the right attitude, application and endeavour can be every bit as creative and important to the side.

Should we not have any takers and it gets to the window then we do, I accept have to try and get him back involved but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

One of the very few on here who talks sense.

Not sure how this will play out...Byrne doesn’t want to leave, he wants to play for us and has nothing on the table so he certainly isn’t pushing to leave. He’s training with the youth team so let’s see if he can do enough to turn around peoples thinking within the club. 

I think AL knows that if you continue with a couple of 'characters' setting the mood of the team then it could ultimately lead to another relegation, as well as learning lessons about himself following our relegation there is no doubt where he also lays some blame and he seems to be ruthlessly going about steadying the ship, fair play I say.