Squad movements, summer 2018

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Please give me one reason for optimism if our fifth choice striker in a relegated side is starting games the following season. He’s looked ‘ok’ against a few local pub sides - compare him to the calibre of strikers that other clubs in our league are signing. You don’t need to blindly optimistic about everything, honestly mate.

Who are these strikers of "calibre" who have signed for League Two sides?

58 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Who are these strikers of "calibre" who have signed for League Two sides?

Kane Henmings, Kristian Dennis, Ricky Miller, John Akinde, Craig Davies, Luke Norris and Frank Nouble (all off the top of my head, haven’t been following every club’s business) are all very astute signings at this level with good scoring records (except Nouble). We’ve brought back a striker who was fifth choice in a relegated side.

Edited by Ryan

7 minutes ago, latics22 said:

We need to splash a bit of cash everyone knows it’s, Baxter was to sell tickets and paper over. I’m not against AL, but if he doesn’t spend it will become toxic rapid.

What’s he gonna spend? I think it’s clear he doesn’t have funds to splash around and he has to plug the gap of lost income now we’re a 4th tier club! 

11 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Elstone was on trial at Wrexham earlier in pre-season but they let him go after failing to impress (despite scoring in the game he played).

Exactly. Being concerned because we’re in the market for these kind of players somehow makes you a negative fan who’d apparently cry if we signed Messi and Ronaldo. The blind positivity is tiresome. 

44 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Kane Henmings, Kristian Dennis, Ricky Miller, John Akinde, Craig Davies, Luke Norris and Frank Nouble (all off the top of my head, haven’t been following every club’s business) are all very astute signings at this level with good scoring records (except Nouble). We’ve brought back a striker who was fifth choice in a relegated side.

Hemmings, 1 in 3, ok, good call...Dennis...a 1 in 3 striker in a relegated team...Miller...1 goal in 18, in league football...Akinde, very good goals return, also from a relegated team...Davies, 1 in 4, we already know about...Norris, 1 goal in 4...Nouble...1 in 5 or 6. 

If Benteke plays 45 and scores 15, will you change your mind?

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Exactly. Being concerned because we’re in the market for these kind of players somehow makes you a negative fan who’d apparently cry if we signed Messi and Ronaldo. The blind positivity is tiresome. 

As is the blind negativity. You have to accept the perceived good with the perceived bad.

You cannot know for certain until the season gets under way and Latics have some games under their belt.

It's football...not life and death.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Hemmings, 1 in 3, ok, good call...Dennis...a 1 in 3 striker in a relegated team...Miller...1 goal in 18, in league football...Akinde, very good goals return, also from a relegated team...Davies, 1 in 4, we already know about...Norris, 1 goal in 4...Nouble...1 in 5 or 6. 

Absolutely. £20 to playershare and a large slice of humble pie if Benteke gets 15 league goals next season.

17 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He's a trialist, doesn't mean we sign him.

I watched Manchester United u23s tonight at Northampton, some fans would be delighted if we signed any of the so called wonderkids based on the fact they are contracted to a major club so must be good...I wouldn't recommend any of them, apart from maybe the goalkeeper.

59 minutes ago, Ryan said:

We haven't finished signing yet so how can you write us off?

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Absolutely. £20 to playershare and a large slice of humble pie if Benteke gets 15 league goals next season.

Well said, and I will join you in the Playershare promise.
I look forward to seeing 'Benteke' on the scoring stats this coming season...and saving £20. :D

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ryan said:

And? We overlooked Vardy and hes playing several levels higher than us...

Overlooked Lee Gregory and hes playing a couple of levels higher...

If Bunn and Rhodes decide hes good enough then that should be enough to ease your concerns...

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Benteke doesn't have 15 goals in a hundred apperances in him, okay he has some pace but that means little if you can't find the back of the net, he's as awkward in front of goal as Fane is passing it out from the back and if it wasn't for the fact he had a famous footballing brother we'd of never of given him a second look.

Let's face it and be honest with ourselves here we need two quality strikers and sharpish, this season isn't the one to be starting off with a partnership of a young raw forward coupled with an old carthorse, teams with far better strikers than what we currently possess - Barnet (Akinde) and Chesterfield  (Dennis) were relegated from the division we will be plying our trade in and it's imperative that this obvious weakness in the team is addressed. 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Benteke doesn't have 15 goals in a hundred apperances in him, okay he has some pace but that means little if you can't find the back of the net, he's as awkward in front of goal as Fane is passing it out from the back and if it wasn't for the fact he had a famous footballing brother we'd of never of given him a second look.

Let's face it and be honest with ourselves here we need two quality strikers and sharpish, this season isn't the one to be starting off with a partnership of a young raw forward coupled with an old carthorse, teams with far better strikers than what we currently possess - Barnet (Akinde) and Chesterfield  (Dennis) were relegated from the division we will be plying our trade in and it's imperative that this obvious weakness in the team is addressed. 

What are you basing the awkwardness on? I've only seen him play twice, first time in his sub cameo against Southend where he didnt have any chances that I can remember and the whole team that night was poor (even if we did create alot!) and then against Forest where he took his goal very well. 

The thing about his goal against Forest (from the highlights, I grant you) was that he made the run at the right time for O'Grady to play him in. The finish wasn't too shabby either. Bunn has obviously seen a player in there that just might do a job for us, whether it's later in the season when he's had more coaching or simply off the bench to give us something different.

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

We was relegated with 2 decent strikers last season but stayed up for a few seasons needing a decent striker. 

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

The same Kristian Dennis who played for years for local non league clubs like Woodley Sports, Ashton United, Curzon Ashton and Mossley.

Imagine your reaction If Latics had signed him from one of those clubs.

Edited by BP1960

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You're right in that we need much more depth in attack, but give Benteke a chance, eh?

He's hardly kicked a ball in anger for us yet, so how can you tell what he's like in front of goal? I don't take much from friendlies (in fact I think they can lull you into a false sense of security..), but he's shown he knows where the goal is..

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

The same Kristian Dennis who played for years for local non league clubs like Woodley Sports, Ashton United, Curzon Ashton and Mossley.

Imagine your reaction If Latics had signed him from one of those clubs.

And signed him from relegated Chesterfield. Imagine signing a player from a team relegated from League 2.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

You're right in that we need much more depth in attack, but give Benteke a chance, eh?

He's hardly kicked a ball in anger for us yet, so how can you tell what he's like in front of goal? I don't take much from friendlies (in fact I think they can lull you into a false sense of security..), but he's shown he knows where the goal is..

I've seen enough to know he's crap, you can happily tell me I told you so in a couple of months though.