Squad movements, summer 2018

21 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Back line of Hamer Emundson Gerrard Stott would a decent enough start with additions to come. 

Gerrard must be one of the highest earners at the club.  If we could find someone to take him, I'd let him go.

13 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Gerrard must be one of the highest earners at the club.  If we could find someone to take him, I'd let him go.

He's a good leader and would be comfortably one of the best centre halves in that division. If we want to go back up we cannot let everyone go who is on decent money. Get rid of Clarke to keep Gerrard would seem a good deal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clifford said:

He's a good leader and would be comfortably one of the best centre halves in that division. If we want to go back up we cannot let everyone go who is on decent money. Get rid of Clarke to keep Gerrard would seem a good deal. 

He's a big, big player.

Not just in terms of wage but in terms of waist line. He's clearly on the Lee Croft diet.

It isn't the first time tubbs has gone this way, get rid.

33 minutes ago, Clifford said:

:laught30::laught30::laught30:

He led us to relegation and we ended up with the most disjointed, heartless and disengaged group I've had the displeasure to see in my near on forty years watching us, he was part of a defence that shipped goals for fun and we had players like Byrne being allowed to gob off and dictate the mood of the team with his hissy fits all under Gerrards stewardship - doesn't come across as a good leader to me and easily replaceable, wouldn't be missed at all.

Edited by yarddog73

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

He led us to relegation and we ended up with the most disjointed, heartless and disengaged group I've had the displeasure to see in my near on forty years watching us, he was part of a defence that shipped goals for fun and we had players like Byrne being allowed to gob off and dictate the mood of the team with his hissy fits all under Gerrards stewardship - doesn't come across as a good leader to me and easily replaceable, wouldn't be missed at all.

I thought it was Wellens' fault?

All very confusing 

29 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I thought it was Wellens' fault?

All very confusing 

Can't see where I've blamed Wellens, there were many problems last season and getting in a proven leader to captain the team would be high on my list, someone who has the presence to pull the others in line and help the manager to implement a plan.

2 hours ago, blueatheart said:

He's a big, big player.

Not just in terms of wage but in terms of waist line. He's clearly on the Lee Croft diet.

It isn't the first time tubbs has gone this way, get rid.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Cheers lads. Cheques are in the post 

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

What's your beef with the fella?

I know I harp on about him, but a calm reply to your question is that he seems to have a huge opinion of himself that's incredibly far from the truth. Spending half of 2 seasons without a club waiting for a Championship club to come in and give him £10k a week or whatever- at 29 or so when he should be at his peak? And then it turns out he can't kick a ball 20 yards under pressure and can't run because he eats too much. I have reasons to think he's a  bad character in other ways which I can't mention here but that will do.

9 hours ago, leeslover said:

I know I harp on about him, but a calm reply to your question is that he seems to have a huge opinion of himself that's incredibly far from the truth. Spending half of 2 seasons without a club waiting for a Championship club to come in and give him £10k a week or whatever- at 29 or so when he should be at his peak? And then it turns out he can't kick a ball 20 yards under pressure and can't run because he eats too much. I have reasons to think he's a  bad character in other ways which I can't mention here but that will do.

Would be interesting to know if this is something RW could be aware of, and if he is staying he sorts it out.

People want to keep Clarke who was so past his best we loaned him to a rival club? Bury dropped him didn't they? I dread to think what his legs will be like 12 months later.

Gerrard's weight seems to grind people but we wouldn't get a centre half better IMO. Let's see how he goes after a full preseason. 

A goalie who doesn't chuck in most shots on goal would help the back line............. 

33 minutes ago, Clifford said:

People want to keep Clarke who was so past his best we loaned him to a rival club? Bury dropped him didn't they? I dread to think what his legs will be like 12 months later.

Gerrard's weight seems to grind people but we wouldn't get a centre half better IMO. Let's see how he goes after a full preseason. 

A goalie who doesn't chuck in most shots on goal would help the back line............. 

He had a full pre-season last season.

1 minute ago, blueatheart said:

He had a full pre-season last season.

And while not looking like Peter Crouch he wasn't in half as bad shape as he was when he came back from his injury Feb/March. It's ok looking like a hero playing centre half with a very good league 1 back line and Ripley saving all sorts but this season he has had a young centre half / midfielder next to him.  A keeper who chucks most shots in the net and comes out quicker than Katie Price's milkers.  Wilson and then the lad deemed so low down he was at AFC Fylde. Edmundson needs someone like Gerrard next to him next season.

Clarke was not fit enough anymore to play in the side. Legs have gone, no amount of pre-season or slim fast will deny getting old. 

Not sure why people are obsessed with his weight as he was a far steadier performer than many of the shower of shite who played this season. His injuries for me were a key factor in us going down.

2 minutes ago, Clifford said:

And while not looking like Peter Crouch he wasn't in half as bad shape as he was when he came back from his injury Feb/March. It's ok looking like a hero playing centre half with a very good league 1 back line and Ripley saving all sorts but this season he has had a young centre half / midfielder next to him.  A keeper who chucks most shots in the net and comes out quicker than Katie Price's milkers.  Wilson and then the lad deemed so low down he was at AFC Fylde. Edmundson needs someone like Gerrard next to him next season.

Clarke was not fit enough anymore to play in the side. Legs have gone, no amount of pre-season or slim fast will deny getting old. 

Not sure why people are obsessed with his weight as he was a far steadier performer than many of the shower of shite who played this season. His injuries for me were a key factor in us going down.

Gerrard needs Edmundson next to him not the other way round. Edmundson went to Fylde for experience and got it.

When Clarke was playing alongside Bryan, we were winning matches, once Gerrard and Clarke were swapped, we still shipped in goals but lost a better captain's presence.

3 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Gerrard needs Edmundson next to him not the other way round. Edmundson went to Fylde for experience and got it.

When Clarke was playing alongside Bryan, we were winning matches, once Gerrard and Clarke were swapped, we still shipped in goals but lost a better captain's presence.

Why was Clarke dropped then? Because we were paying out too much in winning bonuses? 

We need to build a solid team. We can't keep pissing about and swapping players every season.

Gerrard was dropped for being unfit and worked his way back in, as commented by Wellens himself. Clarke can't work hard against being too old.

I'd be happy enough with both Clarke and Gerrard in the squad for next season, they'd be good players in League Two alongside one of the younger players.  But I wouldn't play the two of them together and I suspect that neither would be happy on the bench regularly, so I expect one to leave.

For the situation we're in I'd keep Clarke over Gerrard, Clarke might only have a year left playing and Gerrard a few more, but he seems to be much more of a professional and a very good captain and influence on the squad.  With Hamer, Edmundson and Stott hopefully getting more game time next season I think Clarke would be the perfect player to guide them through games.  I have no problem with Gerrard though and after watching the standard of League Two centre backs over the last few years I know that we could do a lot worse.

Just now, Clifford said:

Why was Clarke dropped then? Because we were paying out too much in winning bonuses? 

We need to build a solid team. We can't keep pissing about and swapping players every season.

Gerrard was dropped for being unfit and worked his way back in, as commented by Wellens himself. Clarke can't work hard against being too old.

I think he was dropped in expectation that we would continue winning and stop leaking goals.....which worked a treat.