Squad movements, summer 2018

26 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Agreed. The youth players actually have to be good enough. Although I always thought Scott McNiven got a bit of a raw deal, he was solid and unspectacular but better than other full backs with bigger reputations (hello, Michael Clegg!). Played a hell of a lot of games but suffered from lack of competition.

I was thinking more David but  neither were brilliant.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

A Liverpool fan told me McLaughlin was highly rated there, I think we hoped he'd make a full recovery this season, but he's had several setbacks.

Maybe 3 months rest will do him good.

On song he does add the pace and crossing ability we need.

Yeh,when on song.....but that's as rare as a decent Eurovision one

3 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

It was a different time BP

It was a different time BP

Rubbish Bobby J was a full Scottish International with experience in the top flight of English and Scottish football. He played for Man City and Hibs and also played for City in a cup final at Wembley . In his day he was a fantastic talent so much so that people would travel miles to watch him. Our crowds went from 6000 to 17,000 every home game overnight. I suppose that if you had a comparable player from the Premier in his twilight years you could give an example of Wayne Rooney deciding to come from Everton to play for us for peanuts, instead of going to America for mega bucks. In that respect of players now being greedy I can agree with you, it was a different era , however players then where more into putting more into the game at the end of their careers, than being money grabbing mercenaries. 

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

True Pete, but I'm comparing players in the bottom league level.

A David Best or a Johny Placide..take your pick.

Both Ogden and Platt were far better than Jonny

2 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

Strange isn't it. After the farce of the last couple of close seasons you'd think that line up would have us in a better place. I'm not really there. Lincoln and Carlisle should serve as warning it won't be a cake walk.

I'm good with the youngsters in defense.  If we could bring 2 or 3 young ones on each year , keep some and sell one each season having enjoyed watching them develop  for £1mill we'd be on our way. 

Don't think Placide is good enough - shots saved vs goals conceded isn't great. Sometimes it felt like 'they shoot they score' even if it was on the follow up

Midfield needs work. Defense all too often exposed. The youngsters can work hard  but eventually someone gets a shot off.

Not sure if it was in this thread or elsewhere- but I like the idea of two wide players- protect the back four, and give lots of width on the attack. Milligan and Henry weren't the most talented we've ever had but once they got the ball all they had to do was knock it ten yards sideways and there'd be a winger of a marauding fullback to take it up the field.

Don't see enough goals in the retained strikers even with enough wide players.

On the plus side- goal keeper, 2 wing backs (maybe Nepo and McL?) and a target man and we are almost there?

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

Even with the seven that have gone, it's still a pretty big squad; 22 if the offers are all accepted. You've got to think that one or two more will leave, either through mutual termination of contract or (stop laughing) we get some offers coming in.

Surely we need to shift another half a dozen to make way for new faces. I'd let Maouche and Gerrard go, plus (provided we get some half decent dosh for them, I told you to stop laughing) Kyeremeh and McLaughlin (fitness issues?) and probably Byrne as I can't see him wanting to pay in League 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Hunt went; other clubs were sniffing around him a while ago. 

As far as the keeper situation goes, we know sod all about De La Paz; he could be ok. And unless we've got a cast iron replacement lined up, I wouldn't let Placide go. Remember how everyone thought he was the dog's bollocks not that long ago? No reason why he can't find better than decent League 2 form.

Then, of course, it all hinges on who we can bring in.

More or less why I am with it all currently.

If RW is staying, you'd imagine he'd want to offload a few more.

40 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Rubbish Bobby J was a full Scottish International with experience in the top flight of English and Scottish football. He played for Man City and Hibs and also played for City in a cup final at Wembley . In his day he was a fantastic talent so much so that people would travel miles to watch him. Our crowds went from 6000 to 17,000 every home game overnight. I suppose that if you had a comparable player from the Premier in his twilight years you could give an example of Wayne Rooney deciding to come from Everton to play for us for peanuts, instead of going to America for mega bucks. In that respect of players now being greedy I can agree with you, it was a different era , however players then where more into putting more into the game at the end of their careers, than being money grabbing mercenaries. 

Well to be accurate our gates went to 17000 for his debut from over 9000 previously.And only reached 17000 on one more occasion in that first season.

And why is it rubbish to say it was a different time? Players had less security or financial rewards and former top flight players were happy to drop down to maintain an income. At the same time we had for example  Spurdle - ex City FA Cup finalist. 

It could be argued that players were mercenaries bthen too if only because they needed the money . 

56 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

True Pete, but I'm comparing players in the bottom league level.

A David Best or a Johny Placide..take your pick.

Best was when we were in Div 3 - and paying bigger wages than most due to being bankrolled by Ken Bates

Best was when we were in Div 3 - and paying bigger wages than most due to being bankrolled by Ken Bates

Placide in Division 3 bankrolled by AL. I wonder who had/has the most wealth in real terms?

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

Yeh,when on song.....but that's as rare as a decent Eurovision one

The Eurovision winner 'Rise like a Pheonix' was a very good song, maybe it should become the club's theme tune?

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Placide in Division 3 bankrolled by AL. I wonder who had/has the most wealth in real terms?

Don’t want to get into an argument BP but you did say bottom league when talking about David Best ( who I agree was an outstanding keeper)

9 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Well to be accurate our gates went to 17000 for his debut from over 9000 previously.And only reached 17000 on one more occasion in that first season.

And why is it rubbish to say it was a different time? Players had less security or financial rewards and former top flight players were happy to drop down to maintain an income. At the same time we had for example  Spurdle - ex City FA Cup finalist. 

It could be argued that players were mercenaries bthen too if only because they needed the money . 

I disagree with you that our crowds where 9000. They only reached that after Brannagan and Lister had been signed from City. A few games after which we signed Bobby J. I also disagree with you that at that time players such as Bill Spurdle and Bobby J where mercenaries. They came at the end of their careers to a club where they would be able to give something back into football not to become millionaires, like the Rooney's of this world. These days players have no loyalty to a club anymore. 

21 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Don’t want to get into an argument BP but you did say bottom league when talking about David Best ( who I agree was an outstanding keeper)

My mistake, maybe Jimmy Rollo was a better comparison?

21 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I disagree with you that our crowds where 9000. They only reached that after Brannagan and Lister had been signed from City. A few games after which we signed Bobby J. I also disagree with you that at that time players such as Bill Spurdle and Bobby J where mercenaries. They came at the end of their careers to a club where they would be able to give something back into football not to become millionaires, like the Rooney's of this world. These days players have no loyalty to a club anymore. 

Although it has to be said wages were poor back then and I dont think the BBC paid too much money for television rights.

The greed came with Sky IMO.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Although it has to be said wages were poor back then and I dont think the BBC paid too much money for television rights.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Agreed BP at that time the BBC paid peanuts to cover a game. It was only when Sky came in covering games that clubs started to be paid reasonable fees. 

1 minute ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Tipton suffered from being compared to Michael Owen in every away programme for 3 years.

Didn't Tipton score one breathtaking goal at BP? can't remember who against though.

Guest Stanley30

Tippy is doing a cracking job in management. Potential Oldham manager. Let’s face it we’ve employed a lot worse

2 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

If there was money to be grabbed then I imagine they would have grabbed it. Why wouldn't they.

3 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

However there wasn't big money in those days far from it. 

Maximum wage, maybe why a lot of players stayed local, no point in uprooting the family to move hundreds of miles  away for about  the same money.