2018/19 Season: League 2 Teams

Had a spare half hour so concocted the below overview of what we have in store next season in terms of travel for away days.  I appreciate there's still the playoffs to be contended, so there's a couple of scenarios included as well.

oafc distances.PNG

I don't think the overall difference is that much - certainly not as much as initially thought of - between L1 and L2.

A few more teams in L1 which are sub 100 miles, but also more teams that are greater than 200 miles.

Edit: I'll update this upon completion of the playoffs.

Edited by sjk2008
  • Like 1

Forrest Green Rovers away first game could see a biggish following as its the most intriguing of the fixtures none of us will have done that before. Annoyingly the prospect of goong to Accy Stanley really appealed to me.

But Accrington Stanley along with Fleetwood Rochdale and afc Wimbledon (who were only formed 15 years ago) will all be playing in a HIGHER division than us next season let that sink in for a second.

44 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Forrest Green Rovers away first game could see a biggish following as its the most intriguing of the fixtures none of us will have done that before. Annoyingly the prospect of goong to Accy Stanley really appealed to me.

But Accrington Stanley along with Fleetwood Rochdale and afc Wimbledon (who were only formed 15 years ago) will all be playing in a HIGHER division than us next season let that sink in for a second.

What are the chances of us playing at home in a pre-season friendly against any of those. God I hope not, it’s always been us travelling to their grounds for friendlies etc.

5 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

Had a spare half hour so concocted the below overview of what we have in store next season in terms of travel for away days.  I appreciate there's still the playoffs to be contended, so there's a couple of scenarios included as well.

oafc distances.PNG

I don't think the overall difference is that much - certainly not as much as initially thought of - between L1 and L2.

A few more teams in L1 which are sub 100 miles, but also more teams that are greater than 200 miles.

Edit: I'll update this upon completion of the playoffs.

Ever thought of doin what you’re paid to do??

On 09/05/2018 at 8:27 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Mad init. Had a scan a couple of divisions above us looking for bournemouth, burnley and huddersfield but couldn’t see them.

Not only that, but we'll only be one division above Salford City, Solihull Motors, Neil Joy's AFC Fylde, Maidenhead who have a ground capacity of 3,377 and Maidstone United who in 1992/ were in Level 15 to our now Level 4.

43 minutes ago, singe said:

Not only that, but we'll only be one division above Salford City, Solihull Motors, Neil Joy's AFC Fylde, Maidenhead who have a ground capacity of 3,377 and Maidstone United who in 1992/ were in Level 15 to our now Level 4.

Bit misleading re Maidstone 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yeah. What, one or two divisions below us in 1991? 

Plus if we're going with where clubs were 26 years ago it's not much of an argument.

Edited by Crusoe

56 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How so Dave?

It's not like they were a phoenix club and went and unlocked the gates and started with a full team back in the same ground.

When they couldn't fulfill their fixtures and folded they had 2 registered players, and started again in the equivalent of Old Hulmeians A I think it was.

1 hour ago, singe said:

How so Dave?

It's not like they were a phoenix club and went and unlocked the gates and started with a full team back in the same ground.

When they couldn't fulfill their fixtures and folded they had 2 registered players, and started again in the equivalent of Old Hulmeians A I think it was.

Take Old Hulmeians to the football league, now there's a challenge.

Have we any investors on OWTB who can make it happen?

I'll chip in a few bob with you Singe.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, singe said:

How so Dave?

Factually accurate but they had been a club on the up and had built up a decent fanbase before it all went wrong. I lived not far from there then and remember going to see them in  an FA cup game v Sheffield United, they drew 0-0 if memory serves.

58 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Actually hope Tranmere come upmtoday just so we have another local game. They brought more fans to BP than the poor support of Bury and Rochdale as well.

I would normally agree but it’s worth sacrificing for them going through the pain of missing out at Wembley again ?

39 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I would normally agree but it’s worth sacrificing for them going through the pain of missing out at Wembley again ?

Yep. Agree with that. Would love to play Tranmere again, but not as much as I would love to see them bottle a play-off final...

1 hour ago, ghostofcecere said:

Actually hope Tranmere come upmtoday just so we have another local game. They brought more fans to BP than the poor support of Bury and Rochdale as well.

Their away support was always pretty poor. They brought less than 600 last time when Lowe scored a last minute pen. Even when they were coasting at the top of the League a year or two before being relegated they couldn't even muster 1,300...

Come to think of it, have Rochdale ever been in a higher division than us? They've spent most of their life in Div 4, so unlikely. I remember being traumatised when Bury briefly made it to Div 2/Championship. Grim times.

15 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Factually accurate but they had been a club on the up and had built up a decent fanbase before it all went wrong. I lived not far from there then and remember going to see them in  an FA cup game v Sheffield United, they drew 0-0 if memory serves.

Agree with what you say., compared to a genuine non league team just puzzled why AFC Wimbledon was different. They started  much higher.

AFC Wimbledon started in 2002 in Tier 9.

MAidstone United in Tier 15 in 93.

Even as late as 2001, they'd climbed to Tier 10. Maidstone's Average attendance that year was 198.

By 2011, the average had risen to only 377 average for the season. All out of Maidstone

It was there move back into Maidstone the prompted a rise to 1,698 average. But that was almost 20 years after they went bust. And that was about the same as the 91 & 92 league attendance average. 1,800 in 91, 1,400 in 92..

Season Average
2000–01 198
2001–02 298
2002–03 352
2003–04 255
2004–05 246
2005–06 336
2006–07 432
2007–08 444
2008–09 388
2009–10 255
2010–11 311

A minor curiosity, not major disagreement.

Edited by singe

On 11/05/2018 at 5:50 AM, Monty Burns said:

Mad init. Had a scan a couple of divisions above us looking for bournemouth, burnley and huddersfield but couldn’t see them.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Come to think of it, have Rochdale ever been in a higher division than us? They've spent most of their life in Div 4, so unlikely. I remember being traumatised when Bury briefly made it to Div 2/Championship. Grim times.

You know as much as we have all complained about being in league 1 I am going to miss it. I probably wouldnt (ok I definitely wouldnt) be saying this if we went into the championship, and ofcourse if we romp league 2 we will be saying its all worth it in 12 months time . But sometimes its literally a case of you dont know what you have got till its gone.

Just watching Scunthorpe against Rotherham right now so far its a good game a good advert for league 1. Either of these teams could be 2 divisions above us next season. In stature you would think they are clubs that we can and should compete with on a level playing field if we get our act together. But both have been down to league 2 and bounced up to the championship in tbe time weve been in league 1. Infact since we have been in league 1 Rotherham have had 2 back to back promotions from league 2 to the championship once under Moore and the other time under Evans. It shows what can be done if you get things right and get some forward momentum.

5 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

In 70/71

Indeed. We went up that year, they came down

Yes of course, good shout, though I think they stayed in Div 3 until 73/74 if I remember, Dave?

I was 11 in 68/69 and got dragged to Spotland by my brother (who didn't support us or Rochdale) and his mates to see a match near the end of that season, possibly the one that clinched promotion for them. We stood behind one of the goals, can't remember which end, it was absolutely packed. Even now I remember that it didn't feel right to be there! My only ever visit to Spotland, though I had an auntie who lived nearby in Roch Valley Way.

9 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Sorry, ballsed up the quote/reply above.

You're right about 70/71 of course though didn't they stay in Div 3 until about 73/74 or so? Ancient history I know.

Thought we swapped places but memory far from infallible! 

5 hours ago, singe said:

Agree with what you say., compared to a genuine non league team just puzzled why AFC Wimbledon was different. They started  much higher.

AFC Wimbledon started in 2002 in Tier 9.

MAidstone United in Tier 15 in 93.

Even as late as 2001, they'd climbed to Tier 10. Maidstone's Average attendance that year was 198.

By 2011, the average had risen to only 377 average for the season. All out of Maidstone

It was there move back into Maidstone the prompted a rise to 1,698 average. But that was almost 20 years after they went bust. And that was about the same as the 91 & 92 league attendance average. 1,800 in 91, 1,400 in 92..

Season Average
2000–01 198
2001–02 298
2002–03 352
2003–04 255
2004–05 246
2005–06 336
2006–07 432
2007–08 444
2008–09 388
2009–10 255
2010–11 311

A minor curiosity, not major disagreement.

Beat me fair and square on the analysis there?