England Squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham)

Standby: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski (Burnley), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Jake Livermore (West Brom) and Adam Lallana (Liverpool).

Danny fk'n Welbeck and Ashley fk'n Young!?

Fabien Delph and Alex-Arnold ?

Decisions based on their club, if elsewhere they wouldn't have had a sniff!

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Alexander-Arnold is going to be a star and no problem with him going, Welbeck’s scoring record for England compares well with most. The other two I’ll give you. 

Arnold is too young and hadn't played one game for England despite being a Liverpool player all year, why not play him in a friendly? he will be a star in 2 years...

Crouch has a better record :) 

Ashley Young well deserved as is Alexander-Arnold. Strange that he picked Rose over Bertrand (who does  not even make standby).

i would have had Lallana instead of Delph too. 

And I would have taken Sessegnon too at the expense of Jones..?

Edited by TheBigDog

3 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Arnold is too young and hadn't played one game for England despite being a Liverpool player all year, why not play him in a friendly? he will be a star in 2 years...

Crouch has a better record :) 

I suspect he will play a friendly before the World Cup ?

I’d have picked Crouch if only to man mark Fellaini at set pieces when we need to avoid defeat against Belgium to qualify.

Just now, ghostofcecere said:

Have we ever entered a tournament before with a weaker looking squad? We’ll be lucky to get out of the group I fear

Given how poorly our "stronger" squads have performed I'm not too bothered.

I've no problem with Alexander-Arnold. Haven't seen enough of Young, Lallana, Welbeck or Delph to qualify. None particularly excite me.  Young is a useful squad player at least. Welbeck can score despite his limitations and injury record, but his inclusion probably says more about the lack of decent alternatives.

Here's a question. How many of that squad does everyone think are genuinely, indisputably, world class?

Not international class, i.e. good enough to represent their country. World class, as in better than most other players in that position at an international level.

I struggle with that one. Kane probably the only one for me. That lack of world class players is what makes me think our prospects are limited.

Trent and Delph integral parts of the two best teams in the country. Young can play everywhere and has had a very good 18 months. Welbeck has 15 in 37 for England. 

Squad is about right. Don't get the hype on Shelvey. It's a shame Lallana isn't fit, would offer something different. 

6 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Here's a question. How many of that squad does everyone think are genuinely, indisputably, world class?

Not international class, i.e. good enough to represent their country. World class, as in better than most other players in that position at an international level.

I struggle with that one. Kane probably the only one for me. That lack of world class players is what makes me think our prospects are limited.

Sterling isn’t far off

3 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Can't believe Cahill's made it.  He's had a terrible season.

Having watched our leaderless fuckwits collapse over the last 2 months, I'm not averse to taking Cahill (who has mostly been poor, but had a better last few weeks). It'd be a very young squad otherwise. Plus he plays on the left of three centre halves. 

I saw Gary Lineker saying we should take a load of kids and have just use this tournament as game time and as an experience for them.  I think I agree to be honest.

No problem with Wilshere not going he's a complete liability in terms of injuries. Shelvy is awful. What's he got 1 goal and a couple of assists all season? type of player always looking for the hollywood ball but rarely finds it. 

If lalanna had been fit for more of the season think he would have gone.

Delph has just won the title and can do a job in a couple of roles. Young's been decent for the last year or so and again versatile

Tarki probably unlucky to miss out.

Has Rashford really done enough to go? Welbeck has done OK in the past but again another crock.