England Squad

21 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Alli's the most talented midfielder we've got.  Unfortunately he seems to be in a bit of a dip in terms of form.  I'd still have him in the starting eleven.

Made a mess of him trying to turn him into a number 10.

2 hours ago, oafc_lover said:

I don’t think Shelvey has even had a yellow in 2018. Could be wrong though.

The rest I agree with.

Surely someone like Charlie Austin would have been a better shout than Welbeck?!

Austin's made of balsa and his injury record is if anything worse than Welbeck's. I'm no particular fan of the latter but 15 goals in 37 games internationally must make him the better choice out of those two.

(Me, as I said above, I'd hoped someone like Solanke or Abraham would've shown more this season, but damn Liverpool for sticking with this no-mark "Firmino" chap. Won't amount to anything.)

13 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Is it only me that thinks the one shining light in that squad is that there's no Smalling? Trouble is, Phil Jones is there. 

Cahill is the real weak link for me and he is really lucky to be included in my opinion.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Cahill is the real weak link for me and he is really lucky to be included in my opinion.

Dier has been dire this season. Never looks happy either. Shelvey should have been in the squad, destroyed Chelsea last week. Wilshere is the most talented English midfielder, and is left footed, giving balance. I've admired the way Southgate has got England to play since he took the job, but he's let himself down with some selections in this squad. 

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

Dier has been dire this season. Never looks happy either. Shelvey should have been in the squad, destroyed Chelsea last week. Wilshere is the most talented English midfielder, and is left footed, giving balance. I've admired the way Southgate has got England to play since he took the job, but he's let himself down with some selections in this squad. 

Agree with regards to Dier, Shelvey seems to have built up a bad reputation and for me Jack Wilshere has done little to prove himself in the past twelve months, he seems to have a sense of entitlement about him because he plays for Arsenal, he's been built up to believe he's something he isn't and doesn't deserve a place based on him being left footed.

56 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Has Wilshere ever delivered a big performance in an important game for England/Arsenal?

Always come across as a bit of a flat track bully to me. 

Remember him playing well against Barcelona and Brazil (?)

A real shame that injuries have blighted him as probably the nearest thing we've had to Gascoigne since the man himself. 

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Remember him playing well against Barcelona and Brazil (?)

A real shame that injuries have blighted him as probably the nearest thing we've had to Gascoigne since the man himself. 

Probably shows just how far we've been from having someone like Gascoigne then.

The lad clearly has ability, but apparently chose Bournemouth over a potential move to AC Milan or Roma.  To make that kind of choice says a lot about ambition/character etc in my opinion.  In fact, that's one of my biggest gripes about top level footballers in this country, none of them seem to want to go and play overseas.  This 'home comforts' attitude can't help when it comes to major tournaments - where they are tested in the biggest possible way and fail every time.  Maybe if more of them pushed themselves by competing for a place in a top european team they might have more about them when it comes to international tournaments.

On the squad in general, I don't think there are any glaring omissions really.  A lot of them are much of a muchness so if you swap a couple out there's not a huge difference to the balance.  Whatever side he puts out is capable of getting at least 4 points from Tunisia and Panama with the right attitude.  So it all comes down to Belgium.  We'd be the underdogs for a change so if he sets up on the counter with Alli, Kane and Sterling then if those 3 fire we could go through top of the group and have a good crack at the quarters.  If we get that far and get beat by a better team (Brazil or Germany most likely) then that's still a pretty good tournament all things considered.

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Probably shows just how far we've been from having someone like Gascoigne then.

The lad clearly has ability, but apparently chose Bournemouth over a potential move to AC Milan or Roma.  To make that kind of choice says a lot about ambition/character etc in my opinion.  In fact, that's one of my biggest gripes about top level footballers in this country, none of them seem to want to go and play overseas.  This 'home comforts' attitude can't help when it comes to major tournaments - where they are tested in the biggest possible way and fail every time.  Maybe if more of them pushed themselves by competing for a place in a top european team they might have more about them when it comes to international tournaments.

Surely that is more down to the money though, plenty went to Italy in the 80s/early 90s when the lure of the lira was strong.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Surely that is more down to the money though, plenty went to Italy in the 80s/early 90s when the lure of the lira was strong.

Yep. Kane would get a pay rise at Madrid but most would take a big cut to be bang average members of European squads.

45 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Money plays a part, that's true.  But there are plenty of foreign players at top euro clubs that could probably earn more at Chelsea/Man City but chose not to.  It wasn't just Italy, there were internationals who played in Spain, France and Germany.

There has to be something more to it than just cash - not one player in that squad plays overseas.  In fact, when was the last time someone playing overseas was picked for an England squad?

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Money plays a part, that's true.  But there are plenty of foreign players at top euro clubs that could probably earn more at Chelsea/Man City but chose not to.  It wasn't just Italy, there were internationals who played in Spain, France and Germany.

There has to be something more to it than just cash - not one player in that squad plays overseas.  In fact, when was the last time someone playing overseas was picked for an England squad?

Beckham/Hargreaves maybe? Hart was on loan at Torino.

You could argue that a lot of the top Spanish, and lesser extent, German players don't test themselves elsewhere.

I don't disagree with the point you are making, just don't see it changing any time soon.

4 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Is it only me that thinks the one shining light in that squad is that there's no Smalling? Trouble is, Phil Jones is there. 

I'd say Phil Jones is marginally less prone to fuck ups than Smalling. When I watch Smalling  play for England I develop the same twitchy eye than when we had Brill in goal. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

I'd say Phil Jones is marginally less prone to fuck ups than Smalling. When I watch Smalling  play for England I develop the same twitchy eye than when we had Brill in goal. 

We've a shocking pile of centre backs. Stones makes me ill. 50mil. Jesus wept

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Gone are the days of the proper English centre back now I think.

All people want now is one that can pass out from the back.

14 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Agreed. We are lacking an old hand at the back. If you think of the wealth of CBs we've had over the years this batch don't seem to have inherited the legacy of those before them YET. We basically are a top heavy team that will probably concede loads but hopefully score loads. We might be entertaining to watch at least in that respect.