England Squad

41 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Young who flies down the wing  and stops when a defender confronts him only to pass it back or sideways.  

He has to stop, just to get it on his right foot. He can't cross with his left, as he proved yesterday, so full backs always know what he's going to do.

Here's a novel idea; how about a left footed player to play at left wing back? Just a thought.

55 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

You have to blame Mourinho for his lack of confidence. Rashford's favoured position is hybrid left winger/inside left so he can cut in and shoot with his right........as against Liverpool.

What did the thick Portuguese fellah do......drop him to accommodate Sanchez and then bit part plays him on the right followed by heavy criticism when team doesn't score.

The same also applies to Shaw who I think is a better attacking wing back than Young who flies down the wing  and stops when a defender confronts him only to pass it back or sideways.  

Interesting point you make regarding Sanchez - he has not, so far, looked like he is settled in the side - and his inclusion has definitely been to the detriment of Rashford’s progress.

13 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

He has to stop, just to get it on his right foot. He can't cross with his left, as he proved yesterday, so full backs always know what he's going to do.

Here's a novel idea; how about a left footed player to play at left wing back? Just a thought.

I agree with the idea of playing left footers playing left wing back however the only one we have is Danny Rose who while probably good enough has struggled for form and fitness this season.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I agree with the idea of playing left footers playing left wing back however the only one we have is Danny Rose who while probably good enough has struggled for form and fitness this season.

Fabian Delph? Left footed and had a decent season. I'd play him or Rose before Young.

Edited by Bristolatic

23 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Jones was really good when they played him at full back.

When was that? Even at full back, he's caught out of position too often, frequently the wrong side of the opponent, and doesn't have the pace to recover. Never a Premiership player imho, let alone an international.

On 18/05/2018 at 7:25 AM, LaticsPete said:

Blissett. Anyone else?

Trevor Francis. I sat behind him on the plane back from Munich after the 1988 European Championship Final (when van Basten scored his miracle goal) and Trev was cooly reading an Italian newspaper. Used to play for Sampdoria if I remember.

Mate of mine who's a fair judge and a rovers fan told me he was a future international player before he made his league debut. I've never rated him but obviously judges better than myself have seen something in him. I just can't get my head round how a centre half gets injured virtually every time he makes a tackle !

23 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Mate of mine who's a fair judge and a rovers fan told me he was a future international player before he made his league debut. I've never rated him but obviously judges better than myself have seen something in him. I just can't get my head round how a centre half gets injured virtually every time he makes a tackle !

Because he cant tackle and has no positional sense.  He gets caught out of position so often he has to resort to throwing his body at the opponent.  He's a liability who wouldn't be  anywhere near the England team if he wasn't at Man U.

48 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Because he cant tackle and has no positional sense.  He gets caught out of position so often he has to resort to throwing his body at the opponent.  He's a liability who wouldn't be  anywhere near the England team if he wasn't at Man U.

Interesting to me he is one of the diminishing number left from Fergie era, I can see Mourhinho having a bit of a clear out following the lack of success this year.

Others that to me are not quite World Class from Fergie era: Valencia, Smalling, Young and Jones. All their contracts run out next June. De Gea's does, but I'd put him in the world class and one Mourinho might keep.

40 minutes ago, singe said:

Interesting to me he is one of the diminishing number left from Fergie era, I can see Mourhinho having a bit of a clear out following the lack of success this year.

Others that to me are not quite World Class from Fergie era: Valencia, Smalling, Young and Jones. All their contracts run out next June. De Gea's does, but I'd put him in the world class and one Mourinho might keep.

That's assuming Utd don't bin Mourinho first. There's rumblings that half the boardroom are fed up with the performances, public criticisms and requests to spend more and more money. 

Just now, mikejh45 said:

That's assuming Utd don't bin Mourinho first. There's rumblings that half the boardroom are fed up with the performances, public criticisms and requests to spend more and more money. 

Fair point.

23 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

22 minutes ago, singe said:

Fair point.

I’m not a huge lover of Man Utd  but there is no doubting that, in the past, they played exciting and successful football. Mourinho is not the type of manager I would associate with the club. He has success but not the style. And as for Conte at Chelsea...

31 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Worrying amount of knowledge about Man Utd here...

Not many Latics fans in my local.......just 3.... all in my family. Plenty from both divides of Manchester and Liverpool and loads from Landan.