England Squad

Rashford can be good. Continental class, sure. International class, maybe (and he can certainly develop).

But I think England lack a decent pool of strikers. Who's the next tier after that squad? Crouch? Welbeck? Carroll? Ugh. I was hoping Solanke or maybe Abraham would come good this season but one hasn't played enough and the other has looked good enough.

3 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

I saw Gary Lineker saying we should take a load of kids and have just use this tournament as game time and as an experience for them.  I think I agree to be honest.

No problem with Wilshere not going he's a complete liability in terms of injuries. Shelvy is awful. What's he got 1 goal and a couple of assists all season? type of player always looking for the hollywood ball but rarely finds it. 

If lalanna had been fit for more of the season think he would have gone.

Delph has just won the title and can do a job in a couple of roles. Young's been decent for the last year or so and again versatile

Tarki probably unlucky to miss out.

Has Rashford really done enough to go? Welbeck has done OK in the past but again another crock. 

You are comparing  Shelvey with Ollie Banks?

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Here's a question. How many of that squad does everyone think are genuinely, indisputably, world class?

Not international class, i.e. good enough to represent their country. World class, as in better than most other players in that position at an international level.

I struggle with that one. Kane probably the only one for me. That lack of world class players is what makes me think our prospects are limited.

On that basis there are only 11 world class players in the world. Very few sides have any. 

36 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

I saw Gary Lineker saying we should take a load of kids and have just use this tournament as game time and as an experience for them.  I think I agree to be honest.

Who though? Like Crusoe says, there were opportunities for players like Solanke, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Gray to stake a claim, but they've not been good enough. I haven't seen anything of Sancho, Sessegnon or Lookman who I've seen people suggest, but struggle to see the benefit of taking a bunch of teenagers who will get walloped. 

We're going to be dull to watch, especially in midfield, but that's what we've got. Keep it tight and organised and hope Sterling, Alli and Kane can do enough on the break. Ox's injury is a shame, would have worked well with Henderson. 

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

Trent and Delph integral parts of the two best teams in the country. Young can play everywhere and has had a very good 18 months. Welbeck has 15 in 37 for England. 

Squad is about right. Don't get the hype on Shelvey. It's a shame Lallana isn't fit, would offer something different. 

Sorry to break this to you but Man I are better than Liverpool. A full season table doesn't lie

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Here's a question. How many of that squad does everyone think are genuinely, indisputably, world class?

Not international class, i.e. good enough to represent their country. World class, as in better than most other players in that position at an international level.

I struggle with that one. Kane probably the only one for me. That lack of world class players is what makes me think our prospects are limited.

Probably only Kane I reckon 

4 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Who though? Like Crusoe says, there were opportunities for players like Solanke, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Gray to stake a claim, but they've not been good enough. I haven't seen anything of Sancho, Sessegnon or Lookman who I've seen people suggest, but struggle to see the benefit of taking a bunch of teenagers who will get walloped. 

We're going to be dull to watch, especially in midfield, but that's what we've got. Keep it tight and organised and hope Sterling, Alli and Kane can do enough on the break. Ox's injury is a shame, would have worked well with Henderson. 

Against anyone decent, we are going to get walloped anyway. That midfield is awful and we don't look too solid at the back. Take Sessegnon he's been brilliant. He doesn't have to play every game but at least let him experience tournament football. Calvert-Lewin has been in and around the team and at least he's fit, unlike say Wellbeck. I suppose we need a blend but I'm glad Trent-Arnold and lotus-cheek are going instead we may as well gamble on youth for a change and see if it gives us anything in world cups to come. 

Ox's injury is a big blow, Ali has been below par most of the season so i doubt he's going to find the magic touch - again he's young so the experience will do him good. 

13 minutes ago, losesome said:

What's really sad is,

The squad looks the poorest we've had for many a few years.

Sadly it's probably the best we've got right now!!!!!

Now expectations are lower we may actually do something - (gives head a wobble) - as you were....

Looking at the midfield just makes me wish Zaha had committed to England

Some strange choices made there but we're used to having a rookie manager who's out of his depth making mistakes

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Shelvey has the best range of passing of all English midfielders and is in form.

Seems odd to leave Hart out on that basis and then pick someone like Rose.

Hart is blaming Moyes.

4 hours ago, Crusoe said:

You're probably right with just Kane. However it's not out of the realm of possibility that a hardworking team ethic can out-trump individual quality even on an international stage. England have been missing a bit of ticker for too long, but that has to turn eventually. Getting that team bond, similar to Wales two years ago, and Greece in 2004, is Southgate's major obstacle and if he overcomes that we'll progress to later stages of a tournament. Far too many times in recent years we've massively under performed at tournaments but the lack of obvious star quality may actually work in our favour for a change.

Have to say I've never really rated Southgate as a coach at club level but he's done an OK job so far for England.

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You're probably right with just Kane. However it's not out of the realm of possibility that a hardworking team ethic can out-trump individual quality even on an international stage. England have been missing a bit of ticker for too long, but that has to turn eventually. Getting that team bond, similar to Wales two years ago, and Greece in 2004, is Southgate's major obstacle and if he overcomes that we'll progress to later stages of a tournament. Far too many times in recent years we've massively under performed at tournaments but the lack of obvious star quality may actually work in our favour for a change.

Have to say I've never really rated Southgate as a coach at club level but he's done an OK job so far for England.

Portugal have only one world class player in Ronaldo and they seem to do okay. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Portugal have only one world class player in Ronaldo and they seem to do okay. 

I was going to suggest them too. They're very similar to us in standard and they have a matchwinner in Ronaldo as do we in Kane. They're also like us in that they have the odd tournament where they do well and reach the QF / SF stage and others where they do totally shite and fall out at the group stage.

2 hours ago, cmr said:

Looking at the midfield just makes me wish Zaha had committed to England

Some strange choices made there but we're used to having a rookie manager who's out of his depth making mistakes

It's just like watching Oldham.