League 2 beginners guide

33 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

The team from our last match in Div 4.

It's not just nostalgia that makes me believe that at least half of those would stroll into our first choice team today. Edit : No let's say 8 or 9 would!

Scountyprog2_zpsaafo9l18.jpg

Refereed by future world cup ref Pat Partridge. He could give some of today's clowns a run for their money. He gave us nowt in that game (probably).

4 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

It's not just nostalgia that makes me believe that at least half of those would stroll into our first choice team today. Edit : No let's say 8 or 9 would!

Doubt it pal, they'll be in their 60s/70s now. ;)

5 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Stockport really frustrated us that day if I remember rightly. We were expecting to thrash them, but they shut up shop and I think it ended 0-0. I wish we had Shaw and Fryatt up front now, in fact the whole team would do a good job next season.

6 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Stockport really frustrated us that day if I remember rightly. We were expecting to thrash them, but they shut up shop and I think it ended 0-0. I wish we had Shaw and Fryatt up front now, in fact the whole team would do a good job next season.

1-1

What a team that was.Brings back loads of  memories including those of fans no longer with us.Halcien days.Now we are back where it all began for me and looking forwards to getting promotion again sooner rather than later.

40 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Great programme, free I think.

4 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

5p. An A5 size publication. The large free issue had ended in 1969.

Thanks Pete, looked the same format.

I once wrote to the Boundary Bulletin and Ken Bates himself replied.

I rated Grovsey when  he played for Shrewsbury Town against us so was chuffed to bits when we later  signed him.Just glad I was there to see him play for us.He was worth the entrance money alone.Same thing when I saw Colin Garwood score for Peterborough against us before we signed him later.

Groves was the supreme entertainer. He would often leave a full back on his arse, wait for him to get up and then beat him again. 

I remember us thrashing Huddersfield 6-0 and Grovesy beat half their team before smashing in an unstoppable shot from the corner of the penalty box. He had no right to score from there, but it was simply the sort of thing he did.

IIRC we got promoted that day.

48 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Fryatt and Shaw 23 goals each but Tommy Bryceland was player of the year!

Great little player.

Bryceland was the nearest thing to Bobby J a truly great ball player. Cranston was as hard as nails and nothing much got past him.

Edited by Smiler13

Wow great pic from the programme for our last match in division 4. Some great names on there. Sorry if I missed it, what was the date of that match.

Ian Woods son installed a new central heating boiler for me a few months ago. He noticed my Latics mug on table and we had a chat. 

Oh and it's true, we did get relegated. We are now on the 'League 2' page on the BBC sport web site. I was hoping it was a bad dream but unfortunately that confirms it.

58 minutes ago, Witty said:

Wow great pic from the programme for our last match in division 4. Some great names on there. Sorry if I missed it, what was the date of that match.

Ian Woods son installed a new central heating boiler for me a few months ago. He noticed my Latics mug on table and we had a chat. 

Oh and it's true, we did get relegated. We are now on the 'League 2' page on the BBC sport web site. I was hoping it was a bad dream but unfortunately that confirms it.

May 1st 1971

1 hour ago, L1onheartNew said:

The ref; Is that Pat Partridge?

On 5/31/2018 at 10:48 AM, Magic Mikey said:

Refereed by future world cup ref Pat Partridge. He could give some of today's clowns a run for their money. He gave us nowt in that game (probably).

Keep up Lionheart

On 31/05/2018 at 10:12 AM, LaticsPete said:

Dowd, Wood , Whittle used to trip off the tongue 

also noticed that Stockport had Paul Hart who went on to play for and manage Leeds, Forest and several others

Happy Days

?

On 31/05/2018 at 4:33 PM, LaticsPete said:

5p. An A5 size publication. The large free issue had ended in 1969.

I think the large newspaper like Boundary Bulletin was for 2 seasons, 66-67 and 67-68, during Ken Bates reign , and a great read it was , tangerine and blue font 

Can't believe Maurice Whittle only got 3 goals that season, it seemed to me he scored loads of free kicks, the memory playing tricks. One of my favourite all time Latics line ups, so exciting as an eleven year old who'd just discovered Latics and the reason I'm a big fan of the tangerine kit.

9 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Can't believe Maurice Whittle only got 3 goals that season, it seemed to me he scored loads of free kicks, the memory playing tricks. One of my favourite all time Latics line ups, so exciting as an eleven year old who'd just discovered Latics and the reason I'm a big fan of the tangerine kit.

I think Denis Irwin had a similar reputation.  Always much excitement when he stood over a free kick but if Wiki is correct 4 goals in 167 games didn't really justify it.

33 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think Denis Irwin had a similar reputation.  Always much excitement when he stood over a free kick but if Wiki is correct 4 goals in 167 games didn't really justify it.

Ahhh Roberto Carlos Syndrome is the correct name for that ! He used to push Beckham out of the way to smash it into the stands. Unbelievable 

50 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Which made it even more annoying when he scored twice against us - one a FK - at BP in the 3-6 loss on Boxing Day 91.

2 hours ago, Stainrod said:

90 miles an hour