League 2 beginners guide

I've watched a few league 2 matches over the years as my mate is a Luton fan and I occasionally tagged along when we were away and Luton were in the north.  I've seen the sublime to the ridiculous. The fact is the quality of football is ridiculously erratic were you'll see a passage of play akin to Clayton playing fields in the middle of winter and from nowhere , someone will do something worthy of winning a world cup final. There are more 'individual' players that drive teams in this division. The teams with a more solid team mentality usually do well. If we can draft a TEAM rather than individuals then we have a very good chance of a successful season. 

6 hours ago, ChrisRichard said:

I've watched a few league 2 matches over the years as my mate is a Luton fan and I occasionally tagged along when we were away and Luton were in the north.  I've seen the sublime to the ridiculous. The fact is the quality of football is ridiculously erratic were you'll see a passage of play akin to Clayton playing fields in the middle of winter and from nowhere , someone will do something worthy of winning a world cup final. There are more 'individual' players that drive teams in this division. The teams with a more solid team mentality usually do well. If we can draft a TEAM rather than individuals then we have a very good chance of a successful season. 

I said something similar the other week with regards to us being a team and having unity in the group. We can’t afford to have different camps and players not wanting to be here. When RW gets back off his jollies he needs to address this.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

League 2 beginners guide.

Expect most teams to have to have two no nonsense giant centre backs and a brute of a centre forward....well maybe all be except us.

Think your getting your League 2 and non league mixed up, League 2 will be very similar to what we are used too. If we go into the next season with similar issues to this one we will fare pretty similar to this season and struggle, if we reassess and iron out our problems we could do well, lets hope for the latter.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Think your getting your League 2 and non league mixed up, League 2 will be very similar to what we are used too. If we go into the next season with similar issues to this one we will fare pretty similar to this season and struggle, if we reassess and iron out our problems we could do well, lets hope for the latter.

That is just BP's wish list, loves the hoof.

I still think with the right manager we would have been closer the other end of the table. Keep this team together we should be top 6 min. IF Ritchie sorts his head out, plays players in right position and does what he was going to do when he got the job, ie stop selling best players, drop players out of form and bring the RIGHT young players through

It's going to be tough. I can understand why people think we're going to bounce straight back up but in the reality of it, its going to be extremely difficult and with the way things are behind the scenes with less money than we even had before I think survival has to be the priority.

Plymouth and Portsmouth spent 5 and 4 years in there respectively and teams our size such as Crewe,Yeovil, Vale have all struggled aswell.

The only anomaly is Blackpool who managed to win via the play-offs.

The sides that have gone straight back up such as Scunthorpe, Doncaster, and even Bury kept their squads in place.

I don't think this is going to happen with us, as its been well reported, teams are sniffing and half the team want out. The chairman quite evidently doesn't fully back the manager and i'd suspect he'll be gone the first moment he slips next season.

Realistically we have to stay up, keep our footing maybe finish top half. Keep that squad in place and then go and challenge the season after. 

7 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

It's going to be tough. I can understand why people think we're going to bounce straight back up but in the reality of it, its going to be extremely difficult and with the way things are behind the scenes with less money than we even had before I think survival has to be the priority.

Plymouth and Portsmouth spent 5 and 4 years in there respectively and teams our size such as Crewe,Yeovil, Vale have all struggled aswell.

The sides that have gone straight back up such as Scunthorpe, Doncaster, and even Bury kept their squads in place.

I don't think this is going to happen with us, as its been well reported, teams are sniffing and half the team want out. The chairman quite evidently doesn't fully back the manager and i'd suspect he'll be gone the first moment he slips next season.

Realistically we have to stay up, keep our footing maybe finish top half. Keep that squad in place and then go and challenge the season after. 

Since when have we had less money?

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

For all the shit you spout this probably tops the lot. :applause1:

You're telling me we're bigger than them?

The prem years were 25 years ago we've been a 3rd tier club for 21 years and we get similar crowds to those clubs.

I that time Crewe and Yeovil have been in the 2nd tier. 

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

2 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I can't understand that thinking a tall, we did nothing in the second half of last season to make me think we'll be coming straight back up.

I don't think the manager knew his best starting 11, I don't think he knew how to set them up or organise them, I'm absolutely amazed he's still in the job to be honest.

I agree, survival is very much the priority.

4 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

You're telling me we're bigger than them?

The prem years were 25 years ago we've been a 3rd tier club for 21 years and we get similar crowds to those clubs.

I that time Crewe and Yeovil have been in the 2nd tier. I have no idea where the thought of going back up is some divine right we should have.

Yeovil?? Come on...

59 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Yeovil?? Come on...

In Yeovil's first year back in League 2 in 2015 their average was 3900. I'd be absolutely stunned if we achieved that. 

They've been to Wembley twice over the past 20 years. 

We get similar gates, we have similar money and we have similar standard footballers. Along with the others I mentioned.

The only thing we have going is a bigger stadium and the fact that we travel well

4 hours ago, Hometownclub said:

I can't understand that thinking a tall, we did nothing in the second half of last season to make me think we'll be coming straight back up.

I don't think the manager knew his best starting 11, I don't think he knew how to set them up or organise them, I'm absolutely amazed he's still in the job to be honest.

I agree, survival is very much the priority.

People think we're going to walk the league and I get that most fans will be feeling we're gonna be one of the biggest in the league but the thing is we wont be. Division 4 with our status is where we probably deserve to be right now. Huge season for the club coming up. 

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

People think we're going to walk the league and I get that most fans will be feeling we're gonna be one of the biggest in the league but the thing is we wont be. Division 4 with our status is where we probably deserve to be right now. Huge season for the club coming up. 

If you had to guess, what percentage of our fans think we will "walk the league"?

The sense I get is one of fans thinking we should perform better in league two than league one. Looking forward to more enjoyable Saturday evenings with three points in that arse pocket. With a slight Stockport / Tranmere nag at the back of the head. Cautiously optimistic sums it up for me.

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

If you had to guess, what percentage of our fans think we will "walk the league"?

The sense I get is one of fans thinking we should perform better in league two than league one. Looking forward to more enjoyable Saturday evenings with three points in that arse pocket. With a slight Stockport / Tranmere nag at the back of the head. Cautiously optimistic sums it up for me.

This is about right.  Depending on how we prepare this summer (and there are a lot of unknowns) we could just as easily finish top as we could bottom.

What's depressing is that I can't remember the last time that was a realistic possibility in League One.  Which is why some fans seem optimistic this time around, because we haven't had the opportunity to do so in a long time!

If this is our status quo now in terms of playing budget then would you prefer to be.

Scenario 1 - L2 side, always top 12/top 6 and winning more than losing

Scenario 2 - L1 bottom 12/relegation candidates and losing more then winning but guaranteed survival each season

Obviously the aim is to get promotion this season and then promotion to Championship but what if our budget dictated that we'd never achieve Championship football... would you take L2 and winning more or L1 and losing more?

20 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Not having a go, but why do we have less money ? Makes no sense to me. We have the biggest squad in years. Funded by the new owner. Apart from that he hasn’t had a transfer window yet ? So what are you basing this off ? The more I think of it the more your constant post about how we are financially struggling pisses me off 

44 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Not having a go, but why do we have less money ? Makes no sense to me. We have the biggest squad in years. Funded by the new owner. Apart from that he hasn’t had a transfer window yet ? So what are you basing this off ? The more I think of it the more your constant post about how we are financially struggling pisses me off 

Why would you be pissed off at me for the club being skint?