New Palyer Due in Today

7 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Baxter will have a full pre season like everybody else. I don't see his talent diminishing, it's not like he hasn't played football in 2 years, he's been training and playing games at one of the greatest youth setups of recent years and as such hope that it has kept him ticking over nicely.

Byrne, could be fantastic in League Two but all about attitude. Would be great to have both at our disposal.

Baxter may still be good. I hope he is.

But Byrne's the here and now. He may have a dodgy attitude, but like most players with any real quality that we sign, there's bound to be a flaw, otherwise they don't sign with us. 

We know Byrne will be one of the best players in this division, where as we know that Baxter might be.

I just hope we don't get rid of Byrne. If we want to come back up, we need our best players.

4 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

No, nothing could trump signing Baxter.

I’ve not played football for 2 years either. Hardly the same.

The lad oozes class and is a fan favourite. The sort of signing that will kick off our transfer window with a bang and get the fans on board.

3 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

And we’re in League 2 not the Premier League.

I'm not denying he's been good in the past. I'm making the point that currently he's an unknown entity, our squad is full of unknowns, do we really need another one?

I suppose if he's cheap enough its worth the gamble

He hasnt played for two years because of his ban. The fact a top premier league club offered to take him back, pay him and he could use their facilities/play for reserves tells you everything. So can the doom merchants piss off

7 minutes ago, cmr said:

I'm not denying he's been good in the past. I'm making the point that currently he's an unknown entity, our squad is full of unknowns, do we really need another one?

I suppose if he's cheap enough its worth the gamble

Hardly an unknown entity. He’s been training with Everton and keeping in shape. You don’t just lose all your footballing ability when you haven’t played in competitive games for a bit. Ask Lee Hughes.

Its probably the same gamble we took first time around, Not been playing first team football but plenty for Everton reserves for a good while, still a bit of an unknown quantity.

except this time he's 26 and has experience behind him here and at a bigger club playing first team football. Worth the risk!

I can confirm that he wasn't leaving the front door clutching a contract half an hour ago.

I guess the alternative might be an 18 year old who's been doing the same as Jose for the last couple of years. I'd go for the one with lots of games and goals already behind him

Edited by leeslover

26 minutes ago, rg2403 said:

He hasnt played for two years because of his ban. The fact a top premier league club offered to take him back, pay him and he could use their facilities/play for reserves tells you everything. So can the doom merchants piss off

They didn't offer him a deal because of his lieklihood for making their first team. It was a magificent gesture on Everton's part.

He will defaintely be bettter mentally this time round, Iam sure, but he is still a gamble.

Hopefully, it's a sign that we have funds to take this sort of gamble. I'd be worried if he is someone we are relying on as a core part of the team as we need to hit the ground running.

If we can ease him back gently, that would be the ideal.

Edited by singe

From what I’ve seen on social media Jose is now in a stable relationship and recently became a father. Nothing makes you grow up quicker. 

He’s 26 with responsibilities this is his last chance and he probably knows that. Thanks to Everton, he won’t want to let them down either.

he looks every bit the doting dad from the snippets I’ve seen. 

Welcome back to your second home Jose if true...

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

I really wouldn't.

Byrne will be an exemplary midfielder in League Two next year if we keep him.

Baxter has a lot to prove if he signs. It's not 2013 anymore. His age would say he's got plenty left in the tank. But he's been out of league football for a hell of a long time. 

Since 2013 he went on to play fuck loads of games for a far better Sheff Utd team than us, and spent a season in Evertons reserves. He was out of football for how long, 8 months which I am sure he would have been training in?

I can confirm the playershare committee have been approached by the manager with the approval of Al, for a release of funds.

The Playershare kitty is not overrunning but with your continuing support no matter how little, regular donor, one of contributor or Easyfundrasing online shopping, OWTB predication league, will help us to replenish it with this signing.

Its a fresh outlook that the club wants us fans to get involved right away and this early, rather than scared to admit we are skint and we don't really want to help promote the scheme.

Playershare represents the "present" part of the Trust mantra. That we should celebrate our past (former players), present (a current player), and future...Generation X of fans.

A big thank you to all those who have contributed so far and we are looking for more fans to be involved on the playershare commitee, so if you are interested, throw me a line

Thanks

1 hour ago, youngen said:

Since 2013 he went on to play fuck loads of games for a far better Sheff Utd team than us, and spent a season in Evertons reserves. He was out of football for how long, 8 months which I am sure he would have been training in?

I think his last league appearance was in 2015. 

I get the fondness for Jose. I'm just not that excited to see him come in if it means we're selling Byrne and I don't see both fitting in the same team.

Especially given that there's no guarantee Baxter will simply pick up where he left off with us. I think that's a fairly optimistic viewpoint. 

So yeah, I'm firmly on the "hold on to Byrne for dear life" train, even if it means Baxter doesn't sign.

Edited by PlayItLivo

47 minutes ago, underdog said:

I can confirm the playershare committee have been approached by the manager with the approval of Al, for a release of funds.

The Playershare kitty is not overrunning but with your continuing support no matter how little, regular donor, one of contributor or Easyfundrasing online shopping, OWTB predication league, will help us to replenish it with this signing.

Its a fresh outlook that the club wants us fans to get involved right away and this early, rather than scared to admit we are skint and we don't really want to help promote the scheme.

Playershare represents the "present" part of the Trust mantra. That we should celebrate our past (former players), present (a current player), and future...Generation X of fans.

A big thank you to all those who have contributed so far and we are looking for more fans to be involved on the playershare commitee, so if you are interested, throw me a line

Thanks

Adjusts AL PTPII (Pot To Piss In Index) to 3 (out of 10)