Ryan McLaughlin

One thing that really gets me about players walking away from reduced terms is the fact that the players, all of them, were offered reduced terms to get us out of a league that they were instrumental in relegating us to. 

If they had a conscience and were really as good as they think they are, they would take the reduced terms offer and earn the right to be offered better ones by redeeming themselves by gaining promotion.

I'm sorry, was I snoring?

Edited by L1onheartNew

44 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Seems a bit daft to offer him a reduced package if we can get a fee by offering the same terms. He’s been on his way for ages. 

Except that that assumes someone is willing to pay a decent fee for him, and we’d be paying those wages until it happened.

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Except that that assumes someone is willing to pay a decent fee for him, and we’d be paying those wages until it happened.

Or that assumes that as he is out-of-contract someone could offer him exactly the same terms, but in League one or even the Championship, so he goes there and we get a fee. 

Due to inflation and what have you, the same terms are actually reduced terms. I suppose if there was a set clause in his old contract around reduced terms after relegation we could offer him that amount and it'd be classed as same terms. 

7 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I would offer to drive him myself to wherever he wants to go, however fuel money is an issue for me at the moment ! 

Get him to drive the lawnmower from BP to the airport and leave an iou.

The guys twitter page doesn't even say he plays for oldham. It says something like  'footballer, Northern Ireland, and has a pic of him in NI shirt. 

He, along with most players we have had over the last ten years, doesn't have one bit of pride in playing for oafc. 

Problem is these players are not bad but the club is rotton to the core and has some deep rooted problems which are engrained in its culture. A grave yard where success is the exception, where few achieve anything, where the environment is toxic, where there is no winning mentality and hasn't been for 12 years! This is deep set. You can't change that very easily. 

It's reputation is in tatters as a result. If I were a player or a manager I wouldn't touch the club with a barge pole. 

One man to blame for that 

2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

The guys twitter page doesn't even say he plays for oldham. It says something like  'footballer, Northern Ireland, and has a pic of him in NI shirt. 

He, along with most players we have had over the last ten years, doesn't have one bit of pride in playing for oafc. 

Problem is these players are not bad but the club is rotton to the core and has some deep rooted problems which are engrained in its culture. A grave yard where success is the exception, where few achieve anything, where the environment is toxic, where there is no winning mentality and hasn't been for 12 years! This is deep set. You can't change that very easily. 

It's reputation is in tatters as a result. If I were a player or a manager I wouldn't touch the club with a barge pole. 

He’s clearly off. I think he’s a talented player. All the best to him. 

We’ve a culture of losing, that’s been present since about 2010. There’s no reason to not expect us to at least mount an effort to get back up first time round, if we fall short next season, fair enough, but we have to be competing at the top of this league until we do get back up. The fear is regressing into a mid table League Two team until we end up battling for survival in the league like we have in League One. That’s the new owners job to make sure that doesn’t happen.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Andy b said:

There have been a number of players we have failed to look after as well. George Green for example very early into his contract left when he seemed to be really struggling. Don't think the club helped him? Jason Jarrett was claimed to be having problems around the same time he was with us as well. There's no real togetherness at the club for anyone to want to stay. Hopefully new ownership will start to change that.

Pure speculation, you're just guessing and then offering gut feelings as fact. I seem to remember that Green was a concern for the staff at the time but sometimes you just can't help some people until they are ready to accept help.

1 hour ago, Macca said:

There have been a number of players we have failed to look after as well. George Green for example very early into his contract left when he seemed to be really struggling. Don't think the club helped him? Jason Jarrett was claimed to be having problems around the same time he was with us as well. There's no real togetherness at the club for anyone to want to stay. Hopefully new ownership will start to change that.

We can't afford to be a club offering such players these facillities.It's bad enough coping with some of the ones we had lto carry last season

16 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

He’s a waste of a wage. Always injured and when he’s not he’s offered us absolutely nothing in terms of goals and assists. Good riddance. 

He scored a few important goals in our bid to avoid the drop season before last but I agree, on the whole he’s gash 

Er, didn't he get injured on N. Ireland duty? Wouldn't that mean they were paying his wages (the same used to apply years ago, so can't see why it wouldn't apply now). 

His physiology will likely play a role in both his football skills and being injury prone. If you want speedy wingers it's quite likely that they will get injured regularly. 

As for not supporting those with (un) diagnosed mental health issues. Give over and grow up.