Welcome back Jose Baxter

7 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Anyone that can afford his wages.

Don't be forgetting the stature in all of that, some of the players think they're better than they really are and even if our club were to match or even pay more I'd bet my bottom dollar it'd be the draw of being anywhere but the League they now find themselves labeled with. 

In case anyone needs his interview translating:

-says he played his best football for us so it was a no brainer to come back

-wants to get us back where we belong, no reason we can't make it to the Championship long term

-uses the word 'hungry' about twenty times

-great memories of the cup run, esp 'Notts Forest' (hope that was deliberate, they hate being called that)

-looking forward to playing regular first team football again

-has a special bond with our fans etc etc

On 31/05/2018 at 2:53 PM, OLDHAMADE said:

I was watching Latics early 70's when the side picked itself week in week out.

Football is a one way street and its all about grabbing bastards who spit their dummies out at the slightest thought of anything interfering with their jet-set lifestyle, the game is secondary now. 

Maybe a few of these softies should have a spell in rugby in order they don the shirt of Oldham Athletic with some pride 

Football is a two way street...perfect example, Leicester give Ranieri a chance after him making a balls of international management with Greece. Ranieri guides Leicester to an unthinkable level of winning the Premier League despite being 5000/1 at the start of the season. Ranieri is then sacked 8 months later with Leicester being 15th in the Premiership. 

If Ranieri went on to a bigger club once winning the Prem that would be seen to have been disloyal as Leicester controversially give him a chance (much to dislike of many supporters)

Always happens, both ways, players are here as it's their job. It is a short career and as such players need to make as much money for their families as they can during that period.

29 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

It is a short career and as such players need to make as much money for their families as they can during that period.

Whilst agreeing with what you say, this bit always puzzles me. For sure they, like everyone else, need to maximise their earnings but it's as if people think their lives end in their early thirties. There's nothing to stop them getting a "normal" job for the rest of their working lives. It's a bit like pieceworkers who can't make the same bonuses in later life that they did in their prime and need to get a transfer to non-production jobs. As the saying goes "make hay while the sun shines !"

42 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Whilst agreeing with what you say, this bit always puzzles me. For sure they, like everyone else, need to maximise their earnings but it's as if people think their lives end in their early thirties. There's nothing to stop them getting a "normal" job for the rest of their working lives. It's a bit like pieceworkers who can't make the same bonuses in later life that they did in their prime and need to get a transfer to non-production jobs. As the saying goes "make hay while the sun shines !"

Aways made me laugh this. 

“They can never work again....” :lol: 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I agree totally. They can and should get another job if their footballing career doesn’t pay enough to not work following retirement. What I was trying to state was that I don’t hold grudges to any players that wish to move on to ‘bigger and better’ things which would include a pay rise. Example being Jose Baxter moving to Sheffield United. I was gutted but equally could understand his move 100%. Players don’t owe the club anything unfortunately and since the bosman ruling came in, power is firmly placed into players’ hands. That said we have got to accept that they’re not supporters, it’s a job to them and if a bigger club come in or a club of similar stature with more financial clout we shouldn’t hold it against them for leaving.

Also people at the time of weighing up their options have a wide variety of circumstances to consider, they may have bought a house so a bigger wage would help pay the mortgage, they may have a young family so their decision is influenced by that. My point was really that just because this set of players took us into League Two (god knows how!) they don’t owe it to the club to stay if a better offer is on the table for them personally elsewhere.

On 05/06/2018 at 4:04 PM, unsworthlatic said:

I agree totally. They can and should get another job if their footballing career doesn’t pay enough to not work following retirement. What I was trying to state was that I don’t hold grudges to any players that wish to move on to ‘bigger and better’ things which would include a pay rise. Example being Jose Baxter moving to Sheffield United. I was gutted but equally could understand his move 100%. Players don’t owe the club anything unfortunately and since the bosman ruling came in, power is firmly placed into players’ hands. That said we have got to accept that they’re not supporters, it’s a job to them and if a bigger club come in or a club of similar stature with more financial clout we shouldn’t hold it against them for leaving.

Also people at the time of weighing up their options have a wide variety of circumstances to consider, they may have bought a house so a bigger wage would help pay the mortgage, they may have a young family so their decision is influenced by that. My point was really that just because this set of players took us into League Two (god knows how!) they don’t owe it to the club to stay if a better offer is on the table for them personally elsewhere.

At least Jose's move earned us some well needed dosh!

2 hours ago, owdumer said:

At least Jose's move earned Corney some well needed dosh!

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Ftfy

Fixed that for both of you. 

Allegedly Corney is rumoured to have pocketed at least one transfer. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mickjagger said:

Has he definitely signed?

His Instagram profile is him shaking hands with Abdallah and says on his profile he is a footballer for Oldham Athletic, that with the interview after he signed would suggest he has. 

2 hours ago, mickjagger said:

Has he definitely signed?

If he’s the signing that player share have contributed towards then nobody can confirm or deny if he or somebody else has actually signed until he has officially signed.

7 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

If he’s the signing that player share have contributed towards then nobody can confirm or deny if he or somebody else has actually signed until he has officially signed.

I don’t think he has “signed” but it’s as good as. Bit strange, trust have gone quiet again on this also?