Welcome back Jose Baxter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Someone please tell me why he didn't start today?

it can't be a fitness issue surely

On one leg he's better than anyone in this squad

I do feel sorry for him, as when he came on there's only so much he can do, he ain't gonna skin four of them and finish it, he can only dance with what he's got ....

But why the fuck didn't he start ffs

4 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Someone please tell me why he didn't start today?

it can't be a fitness issue surely

On one leg he's better than anyone in this squad

I do feel sorry for him, as when he came on there's only so much he can do, he ain't gonna skin four of them and finish it, he can only dance with what he's got ....

But why the fuck didn't he start ffs

2 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Frankie In

But I still don't get why Jose Baxter Baby didn't start 

?? 

He is still off the pace and clearly lacking fitness in my opinion. There is no doubting his ability but he struggled yesterday after coming on and I am a tad concerned that it is taking this long to get him up to speed. It could be that he is carrying a niggling injury which simply needs rest and recovery time. I can see why he doesn’t yet start games.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

He is still off the pace and clearly lacking fitness in my opinion. There is no doubting his ability but he struggled yesterday after coming on and I am a tad concerned that it is taking this long to get him up to speed. It could be that he is carrying a niggling injury which simply needs rest and recovery time. I can see why he doesn’t yet start games.

It could be he is carrying a stone of extra weight. When he was out in the half time break his bib was stretched over his midriff-Gerrard got murdered on here for having a similar(but bigger) profile. Little or no effort in the warm up session as well.

He effectively hasn't played for 1.5 years, that's 75 matchea behind, and played lightly this season. 

We won't see him peaking before Christmas (not full games, just form) assuming all goes to plan. 

No point in rushing him back, and placing all the expectation on him. 

1 minute ago, singe said:

He effectively hasn't played for 1.5 years, that's 75 matchea behind, and played lightly this season. 

We won't see him peaking before Christmas (not full games, just form) assuming all goes to plan. 

Nah I'm not having that, love the lad but you have to question whether his heart is really in being a footballer, if he wanted to be fit and ready he would of been and in my opinion he has been cut plenty of slack when others wouldn't have, it is what it is though but using the year and half exile for being out of shape and lacking focus doesn't wash with me.

36 minutes ago, singe said:

Don't think he is one whose game has ever been based around fitness and from what we hear Bunn is big on that.

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think he is one whose game has ever been based around fitness and from what we hear Bunn is big on that.

I make no comment on his specific fitness levels but I'd see them generally as being an absolute sine qua non in the modern game. Don't think any team has the capacity to carry a player as a luxury; the skill levels of better players should be a bonus rather than an instead of. 

57 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Nah I'm not having that, love the lad but you have to question whether his heart is really in being a footballer, if he wanted to be fit and ready he would of been and in my opinion he has been cut plenty of slack when others wouldn't have, it is what it is though but using the year and half exile for being out of shape and lacking focus doesn't wash with me.

I’m not saying he is fit and firing... but Baxter was training with Everton u23s as well as all summer doing a fitness camp thing which looked very intense on his Instagram. 

Hes not match fit, but he’s only Guna get that by playing games.

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I make no comment on his specific fitness levels but I'd see them generally as being an absolute sine qua non in the modern game. Don't think any team has the capacity to carry a player as a luxury; the skill levels of better players should be a bonus rather than an instead of. 

Wouldn't disagree with that.

He's been in every squad since opening day so perhaps people are looking for issues that aren't there.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

IMHO he'll be lacking some physical fitness due to the nature of his absence, he'd clearly going to be lacking match fitness  (and that is more what I meant) , but also mental switched onto the happenings in a game. I think those could well come and steday progress should be seen.

But I don't see the games, is it not improving noticeably?
Wanting to be a footballer, and the sacrifices it entails though, that's a whole new argument to me.

Edited by singe

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

This exactly.

5 hours ago, singe said:

Hopefully that goes for Coke and Miller too.

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You are really testing us now Dave.

1 hour ago, singe said:

IMHO he'll be lacking some physical fitness due to the nature of his absence, he'd clearly going to be lacking match fitness  (and that is more what I meant) , but also mental switched onto the happenings in a game. I think those could well come and steday progress should be seen.

But I don't see the games, is it not improving noticeably?
Wanting to be a footballer, and the sacrifices it entails though, that's a whole new argument to me.

Seen all the games, going backwards if anything.