Doom & Gloom, Reality Check, Delusion, Optimism, Proudness, sentiment, Hope, Memories, Pinch me & Keep the faith !!!!

On 01/06/2018 at 10:22 PM, TheBigDog said:

Certainly wins the prize for longest title...

Nice read.

Awww dammit! I wanted to talk about a giant protein that functions as a molecular spring which is responsible for the passive elasticity of muscle.

8 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Awww dammit! I wanted to talk about a giant protein that functions as a molecular spring which is responsible for the passive elasticity of muscle.

Oh...another post about Ollie Banks!!

15 hours ago, kowenicki said:

False rumours...?

What a clown you are.  I made this up?  Took me 5 minutes to find these threads. 

https://rochdaleafc.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/218749/page:1

https://rochdaleafc.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/194102/page:1

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/220338/end-of-season-do--�65!!/#281

There are plenty of other similar threads there...and all over the forum mentions of #teamrochdale being a joke, including actual abuse from directors toward fans at games. I’m not saying Dale is a mess by any means, but to hold them as shining example of harmony between club and fans is rather odd. To suggest and act like we are the only club with fan and club issues is also very silly. 

You are are the one who is obsessed. You are just a WUM with nothing constructive or positive to say about a club you purport to support.

You are pointless. 

Keep up the good work so I can show all this and more to my missus. 

She drove my 6 year old to her swimming lesson yesterday and as the passed Spotland my daughter said “is that a football ground mummy?” Yes Rochdale play there she replied. “Oh good, can I go to watch football there?” 

To say I was less than pleased with this is an understatement, but then to be told “well they do play in a higher division than Oldham” :mad:

I’ve told her in no uncertain terms not to drive anywhere near Beswick or Trafford with any of my children in the car. 

16 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Keep up the good work so I can show all this and more to my missus. 

She drove my 6 year old to her swimming lesson yesterday and as the passed Spotland my daughter said “is that a football ground mummy?” Yes Rochdale play there she replied. “Oh good, can I go to watch football there?” 

To say I was less than pleased with this is an understatement, but then to be told “well they do play in a higher division than Oldham” :mad:

I’ve told her in no uncertain terms not to drive anywhere near Beswick or Trafford with any of my children in the car. 

If you drove past Clayton fields on a Sunday there would be a better standard of football than what we saw for the last half of last season at BP !! 

Well my post has caused quite an eclectic mix of responses. On the whole a positive mix but you get a sense of infighting between certain members of this forum. 

I didn't post what I did to get back slapped or cause a stir of emotions.

I just wanted to voice my love for the club from past memories, present woes and future success,  hopefully !!!

I have been 150miles away now for a number of years and spend most my time surrounded by Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle and the odd Carlisle and newly founded Man City glory hunters. You see most people where I live follow their chosen clubs from success or because it sounds good to say you support Man City, in their opinion.

These people dismiss me when I say I support Oldham, it is normally the end of the conversation unless I carry on to listen about their premier league and european adventures.

But I look at these people who are friends and colleagues and think they have no idea what it is like to support a football club, they just chose to do so,  like we would choose a new pair of trainers. I did not choose to be an Oldham fan, it is in my blood and a generation of my family and friends have done so in the past and will continue to do so.

The same as , Rochdale, Bury, Tranmere etc, we all hurt for our clubs and we also feel great pleasure also at times and through the years.

We are a different breed, most of us, if like myself were born to support our club no matter what, no matter who owns us, the state of our ground ( which is a great ground, no matter what anyone says ), what division we are in, who the manager is and no matter how inferior we are supposed to feel in the shadow of the bigger clubs who surround us.

I support Oldham and i am proud of it, I am proud of Oldham as a place, is it a dump, maybe in parts, but so is everywhere else.  I live minutes from, the coast, Mountains and Lakes, it is nice yes, but I am also minutes away from dumps also.

And as nice as it is up here, I enjoy nothing more than driving around Saddleworth and other nice areas of Oldham, in fact driving all over Oldham fills me with great memories.

I then come home to Cumbria and its nice, thats all, its not Oldham and never will be. Always be proud of your roots !!!

Let people say what they will about our club and town, what do they know, its not in their heart like it is in ours. Just laugh at them they are just narrow minded.

So we should all get along for the greater good of our club, show AL how much this club means and stop fighting each other, we all have different opinions and thoughts, dont waste energy arguing on here, put that energy to good use, save it up over the summer and support the team with all your might in August.

The Chaddy used to suck goals in, i'm sure of it !!

As for KEEP THE FAITH, it is just 3 words, but they are what I chose to remember to stay positive, use what words do the same for you, please dont wince at the sight or sound of it though, I had great times keeping the faith !!

Thats it, have a beer or a glass of wine and remember we will have a great season.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Well my post has caused quite an eclectic mix of responses. On the whole a positive mix but you get a sense of infighting between certain members of this forum. 

I just wanted to voice my love for the club from past memories, present woes and future success,  hopefully !!!

I have been 150miles away now for a number of years and spend most my time surrounded by Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle and the odd Carlisle and newly founded Man City glory hunters. You see most people where I live follow their chosen clubs from success or because it sounds good to say you support Man City, in their opinion.

These people dismiss me when I say I support Oldham, it is normally the end of the conversation unless I carry on to listen about their premier league and european adventures.

But I look at these people who are friends and colleagues and think they have no idea what it is like to support a football club, they just chose to do so,  like we would choose a new pair of trainers. I did not choose to be an Oldham fan, it is in my blood and a generation of my family and friends have done so in the past and will continue to do so.

The same as , Rochdale, Bury, Tranmere etc, we all hurt for our clubs and we also feel great pleasure also at times and through the years.

We are a different breed, most of us, if like myself were born to support our club no matter what, no matter who owns us, the state of our ground ( which is a great ground, no matter what anyone says ), what division we are in, who the manager is and no matter how inferior we are supposed to feel in the shadow of the bigger clubs who surround us.

I support Oldham and i am proud of it, I am proud of Oldham as a place, is it a dump, maybe in parts, but so is everywhere else.  I live minutes from, the coast, Mountains and Lakes, it is nice yes, but I am also minutes away from dumps also.

And as nice as it is up here, I enjoy nothing more than driving around Saddleworth and other nice areas of Oldham, in fact driving all over Oldham fills me with great memories.

I then come home to Cumbria and its nice, thats all, its not Oldham and never will be. Always be proud of your roots !!!

Let people say what they will about our club and town, what do they know, its not in their heart like it is in ours. Just laugh at them they are just narrow minded.

So we should all get along for the greater good of our club, show AL how much this club means and stop fighting each other, we all have different opinions and thoughts, dont waste energy arguing on here, put that energy to good use, save it up over the summer and support the team with all your might in August.

As for KEEP THE FAITH, it is just 3 words, but they are what I chose to remember to stay positive, use what words do the same for you, please dont wince at the sight or sound of it though, I had great times keeping the faith !!

Thats it, have a beer or a glass of wine and remember we will have a great season.

Another cracker.

Fantastic posts Maximus, I've been a Tic since the late 60's, got relegated to Division 4 in my first season so we've travelled full circle and I'm obviously still a jinx.... Your post and mention of keeping the faith and being proud of your allegiance (which you should be, you'd be surprised what other teams fans know about yours. Was in Aberdeen a few weeks back talking to random bloke in pub and the conversation turned to football. Was expecting a who? response when I said I supported Latics but he had quite a good grasp on our predicament and remembered our Premier League years naming a few players) got me digging out a rewrite of Baz Lerhmans "Everyone is Free to Use Sunscreen" by one of the contributors to the old JK Latics site, Stipe, always makes me smile so I thought I'd share.

Oldham Athletic fans are free to keep the faith,

Keep the faith from the first match of the season.

If  I could offer you only one tip for the future, faith keeping would be it. The long term benefits of keeping the faith have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own footballing experience.

I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the pace and enthusiasm of your youth team. Never mind their naivety. They will not understand the power and beauty of youth until they graduate to the first team. But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at team photos and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before your team, and how naff their hairstyles were.

Phil Salt was not as fat as you imagined.

Don't worry about relegation. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to win matches by wearing your lucky pants. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your mind, unpredictable results that blindside you at 4:50 on some idle Saturday afternoon.

Do one thing every season that scares you.

Sing.

Don't sing racist or who the f**kin'ell are you songs, don't put up with people who do.

Shout.

Don't waste your money on bookies, sometimes you're winning but mostly you're not.

The season is long and its a marathon not a sprint.

Remember great performances. Forget the insults of Crewe and Cheltenham. If you succeed in doing this tell me how.

Keep your old programmes, don't throw away your old ticket stubs.

Bounce.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what formation suits your squad. The most interesting people I know didn't know how to player a sweeper at 22. Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

Get a discounted season ticket in March!! Go to as many games as you can. You'll miss them at the end of the season.

Maybe you'll slip back into the relegation battle, maybe you won't.

Maybe you'll have a chance of making the play offs, maybe you won't.

Maybe you'll get relegated two seasons on the trot, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken as you retain the FA Cup.

Whatever you do don't congratulate your team too much, or berate them either. Your results depend on strikers taking their half chances. So do everybody else's.

Enjoy you're football. Be proud of your allegiance.

Don't be afraid of it or what others think of it. They ARE by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. Dance when your team score, even if your watching ceefax in your front room.

Read the matchday programmes directions before setting off to away matches, even if like Barlows coaches you don't understand them.

Do not read articles about the rugby messing up the pitch, it will only depress you.

Go to the match with your Dad. You never know when he'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings, even if they want to watch manure. They are your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but you should keep in touch with those who used to go to the match with you.

Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get the more you need the people who knew you when
you were young.

Watch city once, but leave before it makes you hard.

Watch bury once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths:

Ticket prices WILL rise.
Players WILL leave.
You too, WILL get old.

And when you do you'll fantasise that when you were young ticket prices were reasonable, players stayed at one club for life and kids grew up supporting their local team.

Support you local team.

Don't expect anybody to bankroll your team.

Maybe they'll have a lot of money from television rights

Maybe they'll have a wealthy benefactor.

But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't buy every new shirt or by the time you're 40 you'll have 85.

Be careful who you talk to about football, but be patient with those who talk to you.

Footballing anecdotes are a form of nostalgia. Telling them is a way of fishing the past from the waste disposal, wiping it down, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth.

But trust me on Keeping the faith.

3 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

Fantastic posts Maximus, I've been a Tic since the late 60's, got relegated to Division 4 in my first season so we've travelled full circle and I'm obviously still a jinx.... Your post and mention of keeping the faith and being proud of your allegiance (which you should be, you'd be surprised what other teams fans know about yours. Was in Aberdeen a few weeks back talking to random bloke in pub and the conversation turned to football. Was expecting a who? response when I said I supported Latics but he had quite a good grasp on our predicament and remembered our Premier League years naming a few players) got me digging out a rewrite of Baz Lerhmans "Everyone is Free to Use Sunscreen" by one of the contributors to the old JK Latics site, Stipe, always makes me smile so I thought I'd share.

If  I could offer you only one tip for the future, faith keeping would be it. The long term benefits of keeping the faith have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own footballing experience.

Enjoy the pace and enthusiasm of your youth team. Never mind their naivety. They will not understand the power and beauty of youth until they graduate to the first team. But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at team photos and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before your team, and how naff their hairstyles were.

Don't worry about relegation. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to win matches by wearing your lucky pants. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your mind, unpredictable results that blindside you at 4:50 on some idle Saturday afternoon.

Sing.

Don't sing racist or who the f**kin'ell are you songs, don't put up with people who do.

Shout.

Don't waste your money on bookies, sometimes you're winning but mostly you're not.

Remember great performances. Forget the insults of Crewe and Cheltenham. If you succeed in doing this tell me how.

Bounce.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what formation suits your squad. The most interesting people I know didn't know how to player a sweeper at 22. Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

Get a discounted season ticket in March!! Go to as many games as you can. You'll miss them at the end of the season.

Maybe you'll get relegated two seasons on the trot, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken as you retain the FA Cup.

Whatever you do don't congratulate your team too much, or berate them either. Your results depend on strikers taking their half chances. So do everybody else's.

Don't be afraid of it or what others think of it. They ARE by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. Dance when your team score, even if your watching ceefax in your front room.

Read the matchday programmes directions before setting off to away matches, even if like Barlows coaches you don't understand them.

Do not read articles about the rugby messing up the pitch, it will only depress you.

Be nice to your siblings, even if they want to watch manure. They are your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but you should keep in touch with those who used to go to the match with you.

Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get the more you need the people who knew you when
you were young.

Travel.

Ticket prices WILL rise.
Players WILL leave.
You too, WILL get old.

And when you do you'll fantasise that when you were young ticket prices were reasonable, players stayed at one club for life and kids grew up supporting their local team.

Support you local team.

Be careful who you talk to about football, but be patient with those who talk to you.

Footballing anecdotes are a form of nostalgia. Telling them is a way of fishing the past from the waste disposal, wiping it down, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth.

Great post....... And all very true !!

JK Latics site, how I remember fondly having debates with certain members of the board, I had a different user name in those days ......

46 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Stop disagreeing. On a message board. Lolz. :sick01:

I feel thats aimed at my post Ryan.....

I am sorry you feel the need to respond negatively,,, just confirms things to me.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing on a forum/board, thats a debate to me and thats football, politics, life !!

You should all debate its good for you and you learn from other peoples ideas and beliefs.............. Its how you go about it that matters ....

Enjoy the coming season Ryan all will come good

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I feel thats aimed at my post Ryan.....

I am sorry you feel the need to respond negatively,,, just confirms things to me.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing on a forum/board, thats a debate to me and thats football, politics, life !!

You should all debate its good for you and you learn from other peoples ideas and beliefs.............. Its how you go about it that matters ....

Enjoy the coming season Ryan all will come good

As a great man once said...

“Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, inspectormorose said:

Sing.

Shout.

Bounce.

you were young.

Travel.

Ticket prices WILL rise.
Players WILL leave.
You too, WILL get old.

Support you local team.

Supurb

20 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Supurb

The post form Inspectormorse has made my day and I thank you Andy b for posting the video.

Sums everything up i've tried to say.......... Take heed all members of this board, and especially the youth.... I am nearly 50 and I have spent too much time arguing, falling out and stressing over this great club.

I'm sipping a beer and looking forward to going on holiday, i'm looking forward to next season but i'm not spending 1 minute tearing my hair out over it.

Energy is wasted on anger and blame, use your energy wisely, its a great resource !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

Take heed all members of this board, and especially the youth.... I am nearly 50 and I have spent too much time arguing, falling out and stressing over this great club.

Bl**dy youngsters...…. :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I have spent too much time arguing, falling out and stressing over this great club.

Funny thing is that in the 52 years I have followed Latics, I don’t think I’ve done much of any of the above...I think I just got it (*j at a very early age.

* ‘It’ being the fact that, despite my team being a huge part of me, it’s success or otherwise does not shape my life either way. I enjoy the good times and deal with the bad ? 

Edited by TheBigDog

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Funny thing is that in the 52 years I have followed Latics, I don’t think I’ve done much of any of the above...I think I just got it (*j at a very early age.

* ‘It’ being the fact that, despite my team being a huge part of me, it’s success or otherwise does not shape my life either way. I enjoy the good times and deal with the bad ? 

Well you've been more disciplined than myself, at times over the years Latics became my life to the detriment of other things and people.....

Ive not been like that for a while but in my youth the testosterone took over for sure....

Now , as with my life and work I have a what will be,  will be attitude to most things and definitely football.

Oh and there's been more bad than good LOL

I’ve found it harder this year if I’m honest. Prem I was about 15 when we went down championship not even sure 19 maybe. 38 for this one it hurt, I have two children and a wife and after the moimbe game it ruined my night! I’m currently sat in salou drinking cava! It stil hurts, but one season with a instant promotion, won’t seem so bad! What hurts is, I think al would have had a serious crack at league 1 this year!!!

13 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I’ve found it harder this year if I’m honest. Prem I was about 15 when we went down championship not even sure 19 maybe. 38 for this one it hurt, I have two children and a wife and after the moimbe game it ruined my night! I’m currently sat in salou drinking cava! It stil hurts, but one season with a instant promotion, won’t seem so bad! What hurts is, I think al would have had a serious crack at league 1 this year!!!

In that case, no reason why he shouldn't have an even better crack at league 2? 

18 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Two things you must do in Salou

1 Take the tourist train and alight at same stop where you boarded.

2Buy a t10 ticket to travel on buses.

On 02/06/2018 at 5:59 PM, kowenicki said:

False rumours...?

What a clown you are.  I made this up?  Took me 5 minutes to find these threads. 

https://rochdaleafc.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/218749/page:1

https://rochdaleafc.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/194102/page:1

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/220338/end-of-season-do--�65!!/#281

There are plenty of other similar threads there...and all over the forum mentions of #teamrochdale being a joke, including actual abuse from directors toward fans at games. I’m not saying Dale is a mess by any means, but to hold them as shining example of harmony between club and fans is rather odd. To suggest and act like we are the only club with fan and club issues is also very silly. 

You are are the one who is obsessed. You are just a WUM with nothing constructive or positive to say about a club you purport to support.

You are pointless. 

Tittle tattle on a forum. 

You spent the last 6 months of last season claiming Dale had financial problems and would never in million years avoid relegation. 

Remind me Einstein how that worked out. 

On 3 June 2018 at 11:24 AM, maximus1267 said:

Great post Maximus

It appears that I have taken the reverse journey, my  username defines where I was born and brought up. Never in a million years did I think when growing up that I would break the mould of Man Utd, Carlisle and dare I say Workington Reds.