Best opposition player?

4 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

George Best and Bobby Moore at Fulham in December '76

We were 6th in the table but got stuffed 5-0 including a lovely chip by Best

I remember it was freezing and made worse by a few hundred United fans who turned up as their London fixture had been postponed

More recently, we've managed to make all sorts of lower league strikers, midfielders and defenders look like footballing Gods :) 

15 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Cantona in their 5-2 win at BP. Typing that is painful. 

Id go with this one too as much as Kanchelskis roasted us frequently when Cantona played that night he was ahead of everyone interms of how he saw the game. Roaming strikers or number 10s were a rareity then Cantona was the first in this respect so he changed football in this country.

In the league 1 years a few not mentioned so far Jamie Cureton regularly tormented us was always impressed with Bristol citys Scott Murray. Andy Liddell in his wigan years. James Hayter regularly scored agsinst us. Adam Lallana was excellent the night Southampton walloped us the whole team was to be fair. The best team performance by any league 1 side at BP in the league 1 years. This season I was impressed with Simon Cox and Theo Robinson upfront for Southend against us tore us apart.

You could get depressed reading through that but for the record I have seen just as many outstanding performances by Latics players that have brought a smile to my face but thats for another thread.

15 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain roasted us at Southampton in their last season in League 1.

Yes...I remember that. He came on as a sub in the second half....and you just knew he was someone for the future. Think he was 17 at the time.

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

In the league 1 years a few not mentioned so far Jamie Cureton regularly tormented us

Now 42 and has a coaching role in the Arsenal academy. Didn't stop him turning out and being a regular goalscorer for my local non-leaguers last season. 

35 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

James Hayter?

Could well be.

For James Hayter, we are the club he's scored most against. 9 goals in 13 matches.

The player he has plaed most against, 14 games, is none other than Richie Wellens.

50 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I pay little attention to the opposition (much like many of our managers over the years :grin: ) but my dad always said Paul McGrath the night we beat Villa in the cup was the best he'd ever seen .... 

Always remember Marco Gabbiadini and Andy Payton bagging when I was a kid.

Edited by longtimeblue

24 minutes ago, singe said:

Could well be.

For James Hayter, we are the club he's scored most against. 9 goals in 13 matches.

The player he has plaed most against, 14 games, is none other than Richie Wellens.

Bunny Bell of Tranmere scored 9 against us in one match! (and missed a pen)

Not sure if he scored in other matches too.

Ossie Ardiles for me at BP in the FA Cup tie on the old plastic pitch. Ball was pretty much glued to his foot for 90 mins!

Away from home agree with some others Andrei Kanchelskis at Maine Road in the FA Cup semi reply....tore us apart that night