Wellens sacked!

7 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Why the fuck anyone wants Paul Scholes, is beyond me...

Frizzell,  Royle,  Sharp,  Warnock,  Ritchie,  Wadsworth,  Dowie, Talbot,  Sheridan & Eyres,  Philliskirk,  Moore,  Sheridan Again,  Royle again,  Penny,  Dickov,  philliskirk again,  Johnson,  Hoden,  Kelly,  Dunn,  Sheridan again,  Robinson,  Sheridan again &  Wellens,

Frizzell was a legend yes but I was young when he was at his peak and my memory is a little vague other than we were as struggling team with low attendances  until Royle took over.

Ritchie signed some good players and I thought would have gone on to be a success as a manager at latics, sadly he didn't.

Thats our list of managers in my time supporting the club.

Of them only...  Royle,  Dowie,  Sheridan have stood out if I look back as having any success.

Royle needs no explaining.

Dowie had us playing good football, signed some really good players for our level,  some from non league and it looked like success was on the cards. Got us to the play offs.

Sheridans first stint saw us playing good football and got us to the play offs also.

These 3 were rookie managers, and all 3 have delivered the best football in my time supporting the club, in my opinion.

The more experienced managers on that list who knew the lower leagues and who had been a success elsewhere delivered utter garbage if I remember.

So Why the fuck anyone wants Paul Scholes is beyond BB80

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it and I respect that we all see different things in people.

My opinion for what its worth and I apologize if its blindly positive and I will try not to write in poem to those concerned.

Scholes would also, be a rookie manager.

He is widely respected throughout the game and media for being one of the best modern midfielders of our generation, I also feel he was too.

He speaks plainly without riddles, he says it as it is on TV and I would imagine he would take no crap off todays lower league players.

There would be something mentally wrong for a player at our level not to listen, learn, understand and do as instructed by a manager of his standing, surely the thought of playing for Scholes would be enough to lift some players to another level.

He would have lots & lots of contacts ( we've heard that before I know ) in the game and media.

Most fans no matter what you read on here would be over the moon at the thought of this happening.

And maybe unlike some of the past tripe, he would genuinely have an interest in wanting us to be back in league 1 at the very least.

He lives in Grasscroft so hes local, he has supported us at some degree over the years and he would put some more bums on seats.

He could also make player recruitment a little easier, most people have heard of Paul Scholes, lots don't know who AL is or even know much about Latics these days.

So, its Paul Scholes, he may put more bums on seats, he may know a little bit about the game ( rookie manager yes ), he will have contacts, he knows our club and has an affinity with it, he could attract players, he would be a marketing tool and the thought of it happening would excite most latics fans.

Or we could go for an experienced Darren Ferguson,  Phil Brown type or others of the like on the list of would be managers .........

my opinion that's all

Edited by maximus1267
spelling mistake

7 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Why the fuck anyone wants Paul Scholes, is beyond me...

How can it be beyond you? There are some very obvious benefits. I agree that there are some very obvious deficiencies too but surely that doesn’t put comprehending why quite a few would want it. 

Odd thing to say. 

The last few appointments haven't had a lengthy managerial record so Scholes is no worse than them.

Only negative is experience but if AL has the cash then bringing in a seasoned assistant will address that.  Admittedly he comes over as quiet but he obviously knows his own ability so wanting the job means he's confident he would succeed 

Positives far outweighs negatives - increase our profile in the media, strengthen our position in signing young players from Prem and Championship especially Man Utd, inspire coaching with his profile and ability plus he does have an affinity with the club.

As latics22 said - we need a shot in the arm and some positivity.  Scholes would bring that because he's admired throughout the footballing world.

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Frizzell,  Royle,  Sharp,  Warnock,  Ritchie,  Wadsworth,  Dowie, Talbot,  Sheridan & Eyres,  Philliskirk,  Moore,  Sheridan Again,  Royle again,  Penny,  Dickov,  philliskirk again,  Johnson,  Hoden,  Kelly,  Dunn,  Sheridan again,  Robinson,  Sheridan again &  Wellens,

Frizzell was a legend yes but I was young when he was at his peak and my memory is a little vague other than we were as struggling team with low attendances  until Royle took over.

Ritchie signed some good players and I thought would have gone on to be a success as a manager at latics, sadly he didn't.

Of them only...  Royle,  Dowie,  Sheridan have stood out if I look back as having any success.

Dowie had us playing good football, signed some really good players for our level,  some from non league and it looked like success was on the cards. Got us to the play offs.

Sheridans first stint saw us playing good football and got us to the play offs also.

These 3 were rookie managers, and all 3 have delivered the best football in my time supporting the club, in my opinion.

The more experienced managers on that list who knew the lower leagues and who had been a success elsewhere delivered utter garbage if I remember.

Thats your opinion and your entitled to it and I respect that we all see different things in people.

My opinion for what its worth and I apologize if its blindly positive and I will try not to write in poem to those concerned.

He is widely respected throughout the game and media for being one of the best modern midfielders of our generation, I also feel he was too.

He speaks plainly without riddles, he says it as it is on TV and I would imagine he would take no crap off todays lower league players.

There would be something mentally wrong for a player at our level not to listen, learn, understand and do as instructed by a manager of his standing, surely the thought of playing for Scholes would be enough to lift some players to another level.

He would have lots & lots of contacts ( we've heard that before I know ) in the game and media.

Most fans no matter what you read on here would be over the moon at the thought of this happening.

And maybe unlike some of the past tripe, he would genuinely have an interest in wanting us to be back in league 1 at the very least.

He lives in Grasscroft so hes local, he has supported us at some degree over the years and he would put some more bums on seats.

He could also make player recruitment a little easier, most people have heard of Paul Scholes, lots don't know who AL is or even know much about Latics these days.

So, its Paul Scholes, he may put more bums on seats, he may know a little bit about the game ( rookie manager yes ), he will have contacts, he knows our club and has an affinity with it, he could attract players, he would be a marketing tool and the thought of it happening would excite most latics fans.

Or we could go for an experienced Darren Ferguson,  Phil Brown type or others of the like on the list of would be managers .........

my opinion that's all

Bang on Maximus my thoughts exactly!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

my opinion that's all

Agree with a lot of this, but Frizzell was a great manager. Took us from Div 4 to Div 2, and when he was sacked in 1982 it caused a sensation. Admittedly managers lasted longer back then, but he was the second longest-serving manager of the 92 when sacked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Agree with a lot of this, but Frizzell was a great manager. Took us from Div 4 to Div 2, and when he was sacked in 1982 it caused a sensation. Admittedly managers lasted longer back then, but he was the second longest-serving manager of the 92 when sacked.

Who was No. 1?

11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Bang on Maximus my thoughts exactly!

However we can all wish Scholes took it on but I think the timing could be wrong. Isn’t he signed up for media coverage with the World Cup???

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Wasn't Royle also the second longest serving when he left?

6 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

However we can all wish Scholes took it on but I think the timing could be wrong. Isn’t he signed up for media coverage with the World Cup???

I don't imagine Scholes is interested but, if he were, I don't think his media commitments would get in the way of him taking the job. 

8 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Wasn't Royle also the second longest serving when he left?

Thats my recollection too..... although for the life of me I can’t recall who was #1, Royle started in ‘82 and left in ‘94, Dario Gradi started at Crewe in ‘83, Brian Clough left Forest in ‘93.....!?!?

46 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Thats my recollection too..... although for the life of me I can’t recall who was #1, Royle started in ‘82 and left in ‘94, Dario Gradi started at Crewe in ‘83, Brian Clough left Forest in ‘93.....!?!?

I dunno if he would even count in this particular instance, but wasn't the guy at Marine around from the mid 70's until 2000ish...?

13 hours ago, Senor_Coconut said:

Don't really understand it either

Intentionally vague and got a few bites. "Look at me". As others as said, whether you would or wouldn't, there are definitely benefits. He's bright and 'no-nonsense' enough for me to think he'd be a good shout.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Pretty sure Scholes wouldn't accept a minibus full of trialists turning up unannounced every Monday morning, not that any manager should.

Why not? They are trialists. Don’t like them....put ‘em back in the bus. 

13 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

Is he going or is he sitting in a studio at Media City for a few hours every other evening?