Next Manager Speculation

1 minute ago, losesome said:

So what experience did big Joe bring when he started!!!!!

Can't do any worse than some of the horse shite we've had recently.

I thought this kind of mentality would have changed with this new owner... can’t we strive for better? Can’t do any worse. My 8 year old son couldn’t do any worse than wellens.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Neither had Frizzell,  Royle or  Lee Johnson.

No one can predict how it will turn out.

Nor were they 55 when they finally dipped their toes in the world of management either.

Why has he never held a managerial role before?  I'm sure he's applied for shit loads so something must have been a factor.

10 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Nor were they 55 when they finally dipped their toes in the world of management either.

Why has he never held a managerial role before?  I'm sure he's applied for shit loads so something must have been a factor.

All at least 20 years younger?  It’s a worry. 

If it is Bunn then is he the best we can afford or simply a reflection of our current league position?

The elephant in the room remains whether AL has the funds to move us forward.  I doubt we’ll only find out with who Bunn is allowed to sign this season.

Whilst Bunn will get my support, I too am a tad underwhelmed as this was an opportunity for AL to stamp his intent on the club’s future.  Harsh on Bunn because he could be the catalyst but other names banded around sparked our interest more.  That said, he could have offered more money to other managers but plying their trade in L2 was a turn off.

3 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Is he a club legend? 26 in 78, not a million miles away from Craig Davies' record for us. 

For me, not up there with others club legends I’m afraid despite that game playing Scarborough.  

Stitch will always be a legend to me and someone I wished had returned again as manager.  Tossed aside unfairly and did well with the players at his disposal.  Purely nostalgic but I would have loved a season or more with him and Tricky in the dugout.  

28 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

We've seen plenty of experienced managers flop here.

Why not give him a chance?

11 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Is he a club legend? 26 in 78, not a million miles away from Craig Davies' record for us. 

A good player but not somebody who holds legendary status with me personally. He retired 28yrs ago so a good portion of our fan base won’t have seen (or may not remember) him play.

17 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Aye, more or less the same age as Bob Paisley when he took his first managerial role, let’s right him off before he’s started eh. 

Paisley was an assistant manager (a proper assistant manager) at the same club under a single manager for the 16 years previous to his appointment. Continuity. Not remotely the same.

Paisley was also one of the greatest coaches and then manager that ever lived. 

I am worried that is first job comes so late but I will support him for as long as he deserves it. 

Edited by kowenicki

3 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

A good player but not somebody who holds legendary status with me personally. He retired 28yrs ago so a good portion of our fan base won’t have seen (or may not remember) him play.

Saw all of his (home) games and a few of his away games. Nowhere near a legend. Actually pretty ordinary player, awkward looking.

26 in 78 or... 20 in 77. ?

3 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Saw all of his (home) games and a few of his away games. Nowhere near a legend. Actually pretty ordinary player, awkward looking.

26 in 78 or... 20 in 77. ?

Is his league cup scoring record still intact? I recall Robbie Fowler coming close to beating it for Liverpool against Fulham back in the day.

Wasn't it Steve Robinson who edged him out of the running last time? Removing the the pointless criteria of someone who has a connection to the club (which should never be a factor) and just looking at his coaching history alone, it's understandable why people would be feeling underwhelmed and deflated.

7 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

What’s people’s obsession with this ‘affinity’ with the club? 

I couldn’t give a fuck if a manager hated the club as long as he got us promoted. 

I want the best man for the job, not someone who ‘cares’.

Wellens had an affinity and look how that turned out. 

Take one point and ignore the rest. Very selective of you.

7 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

IMO bringing Bunn in as #1 is a poor choice given the predicament we are in.  However, bringing Scholes in as #1 with someone like Bunn as #2 would be much more understandable..

I'd have taken Scholes, don't get me wrong, but this isn't Darren "coached some 9 year olds for 2 months" Kelly we've appointed. 

I'm not dancing around about the appointment but I see more positives than negatives

I honestly (and obviously naively) thought Abdallah would have gone one of a few ways...

Foreigner from his years of contacts, with a half decent managerial record on the continent (somebody like Correa)

A footballing legend who, whilst not being particularly qualified in management, would capture the fans imagination and sell a few tickets (scholes, seedorf etc.)

A good, proven lower league manager who'll give us the best chance at bouncing back first time.

If it's true that Abdallah has Owen advising him, then it's got Bazza written all over this! I mean, without wanting to upset some, AL won't have had a fucking clue who Bunn was would he? To me it's a bit of a "shit Barry, I'm fucking skint, do you know anyone who'll come for peanuts who the fans will know" type appointment.

It's a bit uninspiring.

• Like 1

Just now, HallamBlue said:

Unless the team is winning week in week out its very unlikely to draw back lapsed fans

This.

If the intention is that a former "legend" (and Bunn doesn't fit that billing for me either) will bring fans flocking... well, here's a thought, a decent manager who gets the team playing well and moving up the table will bring in far, far more fans.

If he is the new manager I genuinely wish him good luck, but I'm still underwhelmed.