Next Manager Speculation

Let's face it if Bunn hadn't played for us years ago he wouldn't even have been considered for the role, it smacks of desperation and when the club needed a lift somehow they've managed to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory.

Absolute nonsensical decision on every level, as for who we should of taken you'd be suprised at the level of applicants even a job like our gets, all I can think is that Bunn offers AL and BO the puppet they are looking for.

Pissed off with it all tbh.

• Like 1

Doesn't strike me as the kind of appointment a team striving for promotion would make but I'll give them the chance to prove otherwise.

Recruitment gonna be key, I for one certainly won't be turning up to watch us scrapping around in the lower reaches of Division 4.

I'm hoping Frankie Bunn is a distraction leak designed lowering expectations, and sniffing out the mole! 

My question is whether lump on means he's been interviewed so likely knowing us, or that he has been appointed..

23 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Doesn't strike me as the kind of appointment a team striving for promotion would make but I'll give them the chance to prove otherwise.

Recruitment gonna be key, I for one certainly won't be turning up to watch us scrapping around in the lower reaches of Division 4.

A bigger indication of intent will be seen from the players brought in but bringing in players that are known is not always the answer.

Bunn may know players who are not well known but could do a job in making a team that will stick together and fight to get out of this division.

I will never slag fans off for not attending but jumping ship now and turning on bunn is not the answer.

Stick with the club and let's see what bunn brings to the table.

An exciting appointment, no.

A bad appointment, no because not one of us know yet, he could turn out to be a great appointment.

We all, myself included, would have loved that big name. That would not guarantee anything realistically.

Mabe

By appointing bunn we have a bigger budget left for player recruitment. 

I dont know we are all guessing, putting 2&2 together and getting 10.

I'm still looking forward to next season and will support bunn and the club........ it may still be a good season !!!

Edited by maximus1267

25 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Any one know the club's policy on refunding a season ticket before it's been issued?

Genuine question.

What next, a mass get together on Oldham Edge where we can all burn our free scarves on mass together.

Genuine question.   

:scarf001:

1 hour ago, HallamBlue said:

Legend? Mmmm "a popular myth of recent originthe legend of the Loch Ness monster" FANTASY!!!! Bunn played with good players and did well but Legend no bloody way. Palmer Ritchie Fryatt Shaw Groves fit that bill

Never understood the obsession with bringing back ex players or ex players as managers simply because played for us once. Cant for the life of me grasp how suddenly Bunn is the answer to the question because Barry who it appears most people deride casually is now reported to be helping AL choose yet was virtually run out of club by the pitchfork carriers for forgetting his trust role and being up Corney's backside. Yet suddenly the Messiah from Grotton as a key adviser how on Earth could that happen? No disrespect to Barry just a weird turn of events and perhaps a stupid decision in itself as will alienate many. 

Anything that links the club to past regime is likely doomed to failure as got it wrong daily for years and the axe wielding then starts to look a bit grasping at straws.  Bunn IF it is him deserves a chance to succeed, even credit for being willing to try given the recent press, or is he himself desperate for a job?  but in your heart can you really see that inspiring ex fans back to club. Some appear to have very quickly adjusted to accepting we are at a level that fits. Perhaps reflecting the negativity of Oldham as a town itself. 92 managers jobs so why the hell should we not expect a decent manager. 

Unless the team is winning week in week out its very unlikely to draw back lapsed fans. Badge clutching, fan clapping, bannana rating, players tweeting mouthy shite wont do it RESULTS the only way. Even if the football isn't spot on results are king. IF Bunn can start with a blank sheet of paper use youth and get those results bloody good luck as he will have worked hard. When you think back Evansgate plunged us from hopefuls to laughing stock and wasn't Barry a huge part of that care in the community fiasco. We have never recovered from that moment and the statement about no statement bollocks. 

I would love to know but never will what the directors actually brought to the club financially during Corneys reign now it appears AL is looking out of his depth but unlucky as it is Wellens and the shower of shite on the pitch that simply wasnt good enough to a man TEAMWORK not reasonably talented individuals who pass the blame. 

Interesting view on Fryatt (who I loved incidentally) given he played less games for us than Bunn and at a lower level. He scored more though granted.

Let’s give the bloke a chance and our support.  

It’s not Bunn’s fault if AL recruits him and Bunn obviously cares about our club having played for us and applied for the managers job previously.

Who knows...he’s coached at a decent level - above our current level - for years and built a lot of contacts at youth level.  This could well unlock some decent players and we could piss the league by March.

I was underwhelmed but if he’s signed then he’s our new manager and will get my full support.

For those asking for a refund on STs - grow up.  Our club is bigger than a manager, an owner or even Barry fucking Owen.  If it means we get to watch another season without folding then hallelujah!

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What next, a mass get together on Oldham Edge where we can all burn our free scarves on mass together.

Genuine question.   

:scarf001:

I'm not overly bothered about the appointment, tbh. I'm fairly apathetic about it.

But all this commotion of chopping and changing the manager again reminded me that I can't actually be arsed going to every home game and on reflection I'd rather have my £270 back

8 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Every post on an Internet message board is for attention. Other wise people wouldn't post it

I dont post for attention.

I post to get a point across, disagree, agree and debate matters.

Too much bickering and childish rants by some members but they are entitled to do that also.

We can say pretty much what we want within reason.

No need to insult or put people down tho.

Cmon you blues!!!

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Saw all of his (home) games and a few of his away games. Nowhere near a legend. Actually pretty ordinary player, awkward looking.

26 in 78 or... 20 in 77. ?

26 in 78 it is. You can't take a game out of his record. FWIW I thought Bunn was an integral part of what made us into a good footballing side, his hold up play and laying off of the ball made us an irresistible attacking force. Sometimes you don't have to be the prettiest of players to be effective. 

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Saw all of his (home) games and a few of his away games. Nowhere near a legend. Actually pretty ordinary player, awkward looking.

26 in 78 or... 20 in 77. ?

Or 33 in 80 (he scored 7 in that league Cup run) I don't think Wikipedia covers Cup games in those sort of stats. 

I remember a game where he missed loads of chances, think it was Leeds (h) but scored 1. He certainly wouldn't look out of place in the current side as he wasn't that good. Yet he's probably still more skillful than one current player. 

However, if you asked non-Oldham fans to name current or former Oldham players his name will be mentioned ahead of lots of others mentioned as "legends" elsewhere in the thread. 

8 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Or 33 in 80 (he scored 7 in that league Cup run) I don't think Wikipedia covers Cup games in those sort of stats. 

I remember a game where he missed loads of chances, think it was Leeds (h) but scored 1. He certainly wouldn't look out of place in the current side as he wasn't that good. Yet he's probably still more skillful than one current player. 

However, if you asked non-Oldham fans to name current or former Oldham players his name will be mentioned ahead of lots of others mentioned as "legends" elsewhere in the thread. 

He was way better than any of our current forwards.

15 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Bollocks. He was a very good player and a major part of the pinch me season.

He was decent.  He was an integral part, as was every single other player that played. They aren’t all legends in my mind though. Opinions. 

3 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

He was way better than any of our current forwards.

So was David Currie,  Paul Moulden and Sean MCarthy..... Given they were all  playing at higher level.  Legends?  Being better than our current mob doesn’t make him a legend. If people want to remember him as such that is fine but this shouldn’t be the barometer. 

Ritchie Holden Barrett as just a small number of example are far bigger legends. I’d argue Redfearn is a bigger legend than Bunn after that pen. 

Edited by kowenicki

Bunn legend status should not be questioned. I wasn't his biggest fan thought he was lazy and injury prone - and still feel he shouldn't of started the littlewoods cup final as wasn't fit. He was part of the original catalysts for our legendary years that seem a hell of a long time ago. He holds the only positive record connected to the club at the moment and for that alone it puts him up at there with Ritchie Refearns etc and for me being there that night it is a memory I won't lose....So yes he is a legend so lets see if he can become a legend of a manager

Edited by OAFCinWolves
Spellings

7 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Since he’s since taken Motherwell to a Scottish cup final that may have been an astute judgement. 

4 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

And has done very well at Motherwell

Quick reminder that we support Oldham, not Motherwell.

He was abysmal for us. San Marino mentality.