Next Manager Speculation

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Welcome back Frankie. Really nice guy.

I can't think of many better centeforwards over the last 40 years (Sharp being one, but he was a bit of a shit), despite the crap being posted by some on here. I always remember one goal in front of the Chaddy End, when he was clean through but had to go into a full on challenge with the goalkeeper. He was obviously going to get seriously clattered, but he didn't bottle it. He never did. Always put in a shift. Great signing at the time. Perfect foil for Ritchie. You'd have to know zero about football and the wider contribution someone like Frank was able to make if you're serious about having a pop at him.

Here's hoping he can do another job for us. I think he might need a gobby, aggressive assistant, but  his coaching knowledge and experience means he should be able to give it a real go.

Good luck Frankie!

Really?

He's a15 goal a seaosn man, with a record identical to Stuart Barlow.

I hope it's not his "name", but his coaching skills.

I really hope it works out.

Edited by singe

13 minutes ago, singe said:

Really?

I hope it's not his "name", but his coaching skills.

I really hope it works out.

Strikers are not just judged on goals scored thankfully. The partnership he forged with Andy Ritchie was instrumental in our best period of football any of us can remember. His hold up play and work off the ball created loads of space for Ritchie and Palmer to run into and take the chances that got us to those golden times. 

Think you're spending so much time on here the pessimist bugs are catching. ( I don't do smiley faces ! ) 

8 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Strikers are not just judged on goals scored thankfully. The partnership he forged with Andy Ritchie was instrumental in our best period of football any of us can remember. His hold up play and work off the ball created loads of space for Ritchie and Palmer to run into and take the chances that got us to those golden times. 

Think you're spending so much time on here the pessimist bugs are catching. ( I don't do smiley faces ! ) 

I'm really hoping we turn things round. I'm not full of belief though.

I was full of hope that AL would do something different, but It's just feel like Groundhog Day.

29 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm really hoping we turn things round. I'm not full of belief though.

I was full of hope that AL would do something different, but It's just feel like Groundhog Day.

Same here, but I think the problems facing him are a little greater than he was led to believe. I was hoping that we could push on, albeit from a division lower, this season but being a realist think consolidation may be the order of the day. Here's hoping for a good season whatever transpires !

1 hour ago, singe said:

Really?

That really isn't a good or fair comparison! 

Not many have a 25 year plus coaching career in professional football unless they are pretty good at what they do. 

Edited by Dave_Og

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That really isn't a good or fair comparison! 

Not many have a 25 year plus coaching career in professional football unless they are pretty good at what they do. 

That was in reponse to the assertion that " I can't think of many better centeforwards over the last 40 years" and his playing career.

As a manager he is a rookie, and a gamble. Hopefully a calculated one. The last thing I hope the reason is for is "ex player affinity to the club"

Without being facetious, I hope due dilligence has been done in terms of coaching reputation, integrity and word of mouth. Agree 25 years is remarkable longevity.

The obvious question is why the 25 years? Not being given a chance or not wanting to? We can't possibly know.

Tony P has been in position almost the same time.

18 minutes ago, singe said:

That was in reponse to the assertion that " I can't think of many better centeforwards over the last 40 years" and his playing career.

As a manager he is a rookie, and a gamble. Hopefully a calculated one. The last thing I hope the reason is for is "ex player affinity to the club"

Without being facetious, I hope due dilligence has been done in terms of coaching reputation, integrity and word of mouth. Agree 25 years is remarkable longevity.

The obvious question is why the 25 years? Not being given a chance or not wanting to? We can't possibly know.

Tony P has been in position almost the same time.

Bunn would walk into any Latics side we’ve had since he left us. He was always the perfect fall for the likes of Ritchie, Palmer etc. along side him, and he always chipped in with a few goals. I would say he was a crucial signing that facilitated the glory years that followed, certainly right up there with Royle’s best ones.

No idea how he will work out as a manager, but surely his playing credentials for us aren’t in question!

13 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Bunn would walk into any Latics side we’ve had since he left us. He was always the perfect fall for the likes of Ritchie, Palmer etc. along side him, and he always chipped in with a few goals. I would say he was a crucial signing that facilitated the glory years that followed, certainly right up there with Royle’s best ones.

No idea how he will work out as a manager, but surely his playing credentials for us aren’t in question!

I didn't.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Same here, but I think the problems facing him are a little greater than he was led to believe. I was hoping that we could push on, albeit from a division lower, this season but being a realist think consolidation may be the order of the day. Here's hoping for a good season whatever transpires !

So like the last 21 seasons, just in the division below?

Belter....

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Consolidation means you don't have to win every game, the mentality should be go out and win every game, too much settling for draws last season as though they were major achievements.

Hopefully FB will instill that winning mentality.

Edited by BP1960

10 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

Does the FB appointment an indication of our new owners finances/resources if so a tad worrying especially at the start of ownership.

Why? Do you know how much we're paying him? Do you know how much any other candidates were hoping for? Do you know how much dosh AL has in his arse pocket? If the answer to those questions is 'no', your point is, er, pointless.

I will never get my head around this "cheap option" opinion. Unless you know how much anyone at the club is being paid or how much money AL has, it's guesswork based on fuck all.

I'll sit back and wait for the arguments proving the"cheap option" theory and subsequent downboats.

17 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Why? Do you know how much we're paying him? Do you know how much any other candidates were hoping for? Do you know how much dosh AL has in his arse pocket? If the answer to those questions is 'no', your point is, er, pointless.

I will never get my head around this "cheap option" opinion. Unless you know how much anyone at the club is being paid or how much money AL has, it's guesswork based on fuck all.

I'll sit back and wait for the arguments proving the"cheap option" theory and subsequent downboats.

It's fair to assume that somebody who desperately wants a job will work for less than somebody who's not that arsed either way.