Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yesterday's fish and chip paper.

Got me thinking this Im guessing their was a time when chip shop chips were actually wrapped in copies of old newspapers hence the saying. But I dont remember this and Im 35 can any of the more senior members of the board tell me did or when did this used to happen?

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Got me thinking this Im guessing their was a time when chip shop chips were actually wrapped in copies of old newspapers hence the saying. But I dont remember this and Im 35 can any of the more senior members of the board tell me did or when did this used to happen?

...I'm in my early 40s and I remember it at our local Chippy in Droylsden. Maybe they're a bit posher in Glossop? :D

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

1980s

The term originated from the fact after eating the fish and chips the newspaper was binned and you wouldn't see it the next day.

http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2009/03/12/fish-and-chips-wrapped-in-newspaper/

Newspapers and magazines were also used as toilet paper, we preferred the rougher Radio Times to the shiny TV Times back in the 1950s and 60s

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I’m same age as yourself but I do recall Betty and Charlie’s chippy on Oldham rd Failsworth using newspaper. Always (placebo) tasted better. 

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It was banned by the EU....

2 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I'm 39 and remember the chippy on Sharples Hall St in Sheddings used to. You could also just turn up with a bowl from home that they would fill up with chips for you.

And if kids were lucky they'd get scraps for free.

10 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

.......You could also just turn up with a bowl from home that they would fill up with chips for you.

....now that is sh1t hot! I might do that darn sarf and wait for the look on their faces.

Edit: I'll also ask for a muffin!

9 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Fecking #Belgianlads. 

Theresa could do a lot worse than promise a reintroduction of newspaper wrapped fish and chips

If we sent her to negotiate for it we'd end up eating our tea out of second hand squares of 1960s Radio Times

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Rose’s Chippy when Bryn Rose was one of the top boys in the Chaddy End... giving away my age now ?

Indeed he was.

Best chippy in Oldham was on Lees Rd  Salem

5 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Indeed he was.

Best chippy in Oldham was on Lees Rd  Salem

You mean next to the Royal, corner of New Earth St.  Yep that was a good un.

Also Small chippy, West St in lees.

I remember Chippy teas on fridays, always sent with a tin bowl for a Mixture with pea soup. Those were the days .

18 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

What has all this got to do with transfer rumours?

Absolutely nothing

But we dont always have to be totally on topic, this message board would be abit too dull if we didnt occasionally go of track on threads.

Back on topic I still think we are a number of bodies short (no doubt this is being worked on behind the scenes) hopefully we will hear something soon.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

...I'm in my early 40s and I remember it at our local Chippy in Droylsden. Maybe they're a bit posher in Glossop? :D

It was usually foi gras and Beluga with a glass of chadonnay for tea on friday night in Glossop.

However occasionally we liked to slum it with the commoners and go for a chippy tea.

#middleclasslads

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Absolutely nothing

But we dont always have to be totally on topic, this message board would be abit too dull if we didnt occasionally go of track on threads.

Back on topic I still think we are a number of bodies short (no doubt this is being worked on behind the scenes) hopefully we will hear something soon.

Wtf has this got to do with chippies though ? 

Archived