Transfer Rumours

35 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Whenever you can’t be arsed to type I have. The problem is people say should’ve which sounds like should of, resulting in people then writing (or typing) of instead of have.

Not really a problem to me as language naturally evolves anyway. I do notice it, but it’s nothing like that time I found out that Morecambe isn’t called Morecombe ?

What do you mean Monty ? What’s it called then ? Cheers. 

Edit. Only just noticed the two different spellings. Durr. 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

On the subject of education, wildly off transfer topic, I'm 33 and can't believe some of the things people just 5-10 years younger don't know these days. There's a running theme in our office to ask a new starter how many letters in the alphabet. Sounds boring as fuck, but the answers can be hilarious. When someone genuinely thinks there are 39 letters in the English alphabet, it makes you worry for the future ? I blame you Magic Mikey

A boy I coached in the school football team is now in our yoofs. When Lewis McKinney is starring in our first team, I'm going to take the credit (and he got a level 5 in Maths).

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

On the subject of education, wildly off transfer topic, I'm 33 and can't believe some of the things people just 5-10 years younger don't know these days. There's a running theme in our office to ask a new starter how many letters in the alphabet. Sounds boring as fuck, but the answers can be hilarious. When someone genuinely thinks there are 39 letters in the English alphabet, it makes you worry for the future ? I blame you Magic Mikey

I collect ridiculous questions asked by millennials. This week's winner was "Is pain au chocolat the same in French as in English?" 

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I collect ridiculous questions asked by millennials. This week's winner was "Is pain au chocolat the same in French as in English?" 

We had a new starter in, she was about 21. Some of the guys were doing work in the TN postcode, Tunbridge Wells. She genuinely asked if the TN stood for Taiwan. She's not there anymore 

Now JB is off the books we must be below our wage budget even before AL turned up?  Does this mean we can sign Cotterill?

Clarke aside, our next big earner is Maouche who can’t even get a starting slot and when appeared as a sub seems way off the pace of L2 football.  Waste of a wage.

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Whenever you can’t be arsed to type I have. The problem is people say should’ve which sounds like should of, resulting in people then writing (or typing) of instead of have.

Not really a problem to me as language naturally evolves anyway. I do notice it, but it’s nothing like that time I found out that Morecambe isn’t called Morecombe ?

Does anyone know the correct pronunciation of Slaithwaite?

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

You can only get away with that one if you're a Southerner but we've always made allowances for those heathens 

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We had a new starter in, she was about 21. Some of the guys were doing work in the TN postcode, Tunbridge Wells. She genuinely asked if the TN stood for Taiwan. She's not there anymore 

As an aside, the TN part of post code actually derives from Tonbridge because that's where the sorting office is. 

And Tonbridge was used to be called Tunbridge till about 1870, but because Tunbridge Wells was more successful than and all the confusion the GPO renamed it Tonbridge. 

21 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Yes on certain questions there’s extra marks for SPaG (spelling, punctuation and grammar) however as an examiner too; we’re encouraged to mark ‘positively’ - at times it’s difficult...

GPS now innit?

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

My in-laws were on holiday abroad. Another couple found out they lived in Saddleworth and said that they lived just over the hill in Slawit. They had no idea until they looked at a map back home that they were talking about Slaithwaite.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:43 AM, mcfluff1985 said:

Social skills are another one, even amongst the highly intelligent/qualified/educated. 

It's as if there was a point in time when schools and/or parents suddenly stopped teaching kids certain stuff and nobody has realised this happened until recently when it's now too late.. 

I'd put it down to parents moreso than schools and I reckon it's going to get worse with us all glued to smartphones and the like all the time and not giving our kids the level of attention & help we got from our own.... 

On 9/1/2018 at 10:43 AM, mcfluff1985 said:

I once worked in Ashton with a girl who asked - "do we cover Lancashire?"

Err, yes.

"Where is it?"

On 9/1/2018 at 1:00 PM, BP1960 said:

On 9/1/2018 at 1:12 PM, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Girl I used to work with who lived there pronounced it slowit. With the slow part rhyming with plough. 

I know it's their village and they can pronounce it how they like but stuff like that does my head in. 

Like Magdelene College, Menzies Campbell - just fuck off. 

19 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I know it's their village and they can pronounce it how they like but stuff like that does my head in. 

Like Magdelene College, Menzies Campbell - just fuck off. 

Another one I find a little annoying is St. John pronounced Sinjen as in Norman Sinjen-Stevas.

Archived