Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC news readers pronouncing Redcar as Redcur really winds me up. I guess they drive to work in a cur.

I've also heard on several of our TV programmes something that has crept into American English.

"Can I get a coffee please" 

53 minutes ago, al_bro said:

BBC news readers pronouncing Redcar as Redcur really winds me up. I guess they drive to work in a cur.

I've also heard on several of our TV programmes something that has crept into American English.

It is pronounced Redcur...

1 hour ago, maddog said:

It is pronounced Redcur...

Guess the point was that it should be pronounced as it reads for non locals.

I'm in agreement. Slaithwaite was mentioned earlier in the thread. They have 'Slawit Taxis' and 'Slawit Spice' just to emphasis the colloquialism. Spend a fair amount of time over there and make a point of referring to it as 'Slafe-wait' whenever I can. Fine for them to dick about with it but it's nowt to do with me.

Blackley pronounced Blake-ly an all. I'll do that one though as it's the right side of the hills.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Anybody with an Oldham accent (most of us) can hardly complain about misprounincing vowels since we pronounce curry as if it had an e not a u. 

3 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

I'm in agreement. Slaithwaite was mentioned earlier in the thread. They have 'Slawit Taxis' and 'Slawit Spice' just to emphasis the colloquialism. Spend a fair amount of time over there and make a point of referring to it as 'Slafe-wait' whenever I can. Fine for them to dick about with it but it's nowt to do with me.

Blackely pronounced Blackely an all. I'll do that one though as the right side of the hills.

Nothing wrong with Owdham.

4 minutes ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Anybody with an Oldham accent (most of us) can hardly complain about misprounincing vowels since we pronounce curry as if it had an e not a u. 

Spoiled all now by mentioning David Currie.

7 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Blackely pronounced Blackely an all. I'll do that one though as the right side of the hills.

Burrie or Berrie?

13 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Well my missus is from Marsden and when I first called it “Slafe-wait” I was promptly told it was “Slaff-wait” and her mum (who was born in and has lived in Marsden all her life) calls it that too. Her Dad calls it “Slawit” though so I don’t know who to believe and have long since given up...oddities over there the lot of em. 

18 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Well my missus is from Marsden and when I first called it “Slafe-wait” I was promptly told it was “Slaff-wait” and her mum (who was born in and has lived in Marsden all her life) calls it that too. Her Dad calls it “Slawit” though so I don’t know who to believe and have long since given up...oddities over there the lot of em. 

That's YARKSHIRE for you.

I worked in Elland for a while, commonly known as the "Home of the Numpties".....well named if you ask me!!!

21 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

That's YARKSHIRE for you.

I worked in Elland for a while, commonly known as the "Home of the Numpties".....well named if you ask me!!!

Don’t even get me started on muffins, they can’t decide if they’re teacakes or bread cakes...I despair I really do. 

6 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Don’t even get me started on muffins, they can’t decide if they’re teacakes or bread cakes...I despair I really do. 

And fish are known as "feesh" and cream cakes are known as "buns".

Strange folk!!!

On 8/29/2018 at 8:26 PM, whittles left foot said:

Maouche has been here now under 3 different managers -none of them have seen fit to give him game time in league games. In the cup games he has played  he has been rubbish. Time to forget and move on.

You go tonight? Still think ‘forget and move on’? Miles better than coke. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:10 PM, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Maouche was an established Ligue 2 player before coming here he’s played higher than most of the other french lads we’ve had bar Placide.

I do think we’ll tail off badly if we can’t get anyone in. Don’t have the depth or talent to mount a promotion push as it stands.

Stand by this think the lack of depth in defence showed tonight. If Clarke gets injured we'll struggle 

Archived