Transfer Rumours

2 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I reckon he was just here to try out. And the club said have a go son. But then said no to him. Clubs up and down the country get players in for training that are nowhere near good enough. Theres no need to make such a big deal out of it

If he is as shit as you say, and nowhere near what we want why waste easch others time? Who invited him? Dino or Curly, Barry & Mo?

whatever the answer it tells us quite a lot of the current situation. Either they are still interfering or Dino has managed to wrestle control. One is obviously much better news than the other.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, singe said:

If he is as shit as you say, and nowhere near what we want why waste easch others time? Who invited him? Dino or Curly, Barry & Mo?

whatever the answer it tells us quite a lot of the current situation. Either they are still interfering or Dino has managed to wrestle control. One is obviously much better news than the other.

It doesn't work like that. During the season the chairman doesn't go out and look for players all the time. Might get the odd one but that's it. 90% of trials come from agents ringing 20 clubs saying I have a player who wants to try out. And the clubs saying we've nothin to lose come join in training

2 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

It doesn't work like that. During the season the chairman doesn't go out and look for players all the time. Might get the odd one but that's it. 90% of trials come from agents ringing 20 clubs saying I have a player who wants to try out. And the clubs saying we've nothin to lose come join in training

I know how it works, obviously, but we wouldn't bother with a load of midfielders would we. Nor crap strikers we had no interest in.

We were in for him, I'm very satisfied with the evidence, which contradicts your assertion that it was just a speculative trial.

Up to you whether you believe it or not. Those that have been on here a decade or more know my MO.

Sounds to me that now it's looking like dino has control and AL has gone quiet that your looking for an excuse to complain. Even if it was a proper trial, we didn't sign him. Not because Halifax outbid us. Itl be because hes not better than what we have. And I'd take 20 midfielders on trial if it meant I might find one better than we have already. 

3 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

1. Maynard didn't go to a non league team. Nor have any of our other targets. They've all gone to teams that have a budget high enough for league 1 top end. AL or Mo have a lot to answer for and a lot of our players are below standard. BUT dino has frozen those players out. And I'd rather AL scrimp and save and we have a club than pay Maynard or Mayor 10 grand a week and it go tits up. Menig, Byrne, Bryan, doyle, gerrard all examples of splashing out and then they're not performing and get relegated

I agree with all you are saying although Byrne and Doyle seem to doing alright. Just pointing out that the deal we offered to Maynard was the lowest he received including deals from a couple of non league clubs. I do not blame him for choosing Mansfield. But we cannot talk about scrimping and saving when we have Vera, Sefil, Maouche, et al on our books and our sporting director thinks he’s doing a good job.. I would rather have the likesof one Maynard than all of the . Yet I also agree that Dino has frozen them out and is, in my opinion, weeding the likes of them out.

Bottom line: I too would rather have a club than splurge money on players but I am also realistic about the potential for twenty years (if we’re lucky enough to stay in the division) of L2 football if this is to be the case.

16 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

1. Maynard didn't go to a non league team. Nor have any of our other targets. They've all gone to teams that have a budget high enough for league 1 top end. AL or Mo have a lot to answer for and a lot of our players are below standard. BUT dino has frozen those players out. And I'd rather AL scrimp and save and we have a club than pay Maynard or Mayor 10 grand a week and it go tits up. Menig, Byrne, Bryan, doyle, gerrard all examples of splashing out and then they're not performing and get relegated

Id argue Doyle , Byrne and Bryan did perform. Rather have 3 players like that than 10 like Kokos, Adams or whoever

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The actual phrase is as posted - you’ve made a common mistake there @Dave_Og

modus operandum

Noun

common misconstruction of modus operandi

cheers!

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Not so sure, I've got a Latin 'O' level you know 😂

Plants use the form modus operandii...

Just to put a Felis Catus amongst the Columbidae

5 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Id argue Doyle , Byrne and Bryan did perform. Rather have 3 players like that than 10 like Kokos, Adams or whoever

Yeah but goin for those type of players didn't do us well did it? Doyle was useless after his injury. Byrne wasnt playin well at all even tho he had bags of ability. Only Bryan that actually shone. And they were all in a team that couldn't get the 1 or 2 points we needed from the last ten games and got relegated. Kokos Adam's gonzales etc are all on 100s rather than thousands so it's no comparison when u look at the financial side. And vera should be moved on by January. Sefil wont be far behind. And the rest will be gone by summer. The only thing we need to worry about now Is keeping dino past next 2 windows. Because he wont be aloud to splash out on players but he also wont take second rate players. We shouldn't be kicking off or worrying about us maybe maybe not losing out to Halifax over a player who isn't good enough anyway and trying to cause a storm over it

21 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Yeah but goin for those type of players didn't do us well did it? Doyle was useless after his injury. Byrne wasnt playin well at all even tho he had bags of ability. Only Bryan that actually shone. And they were all in a team that couldn't get the 1 or 2 points we needed from the last ten games and got relegated. Kokos Adam's gonzales etc are all on 100s rather than thousands so it's no comparison when u look at the financial side. And vera should be moved on by January. Sefil wont be far behind. And the rest will be gone by summer. The only thing we need to worry about now Is keeping dino past next 2 windows. Because he wont be aloud to splash out on players but he also wont take second rate players. We shouldn't be kicking off or worrying about us maybe maybe not losing out to Halifax over a player who isn't good enough anyway and trying to cause a storm over it

It's been a completely wasted season then because of terrible player recruitment. Anyone else but AL's brother would have been fired by now.

20 minutes ago, al_bro said:

It's been a completely wasted season then because of terrible player recruitment. Anyone else but AL's brother would have been fired by now.

Did anyone ever work out what he meant when he spoke of nepotism under the previous regime?

24 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I agree but now it seems we have a manager taking control. So I'm just saying instead of people looking for stuff to moan about, let's jus get behind the team and hope it continues

58 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Signing bad players instead of good ones seems like an interesting strategy, let us know how they get on...

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

I took that to mean; Harry Robinson, Scholes-Beard & Jay Sheridan....!?!

In my first job in the City at a very blue blooded stockbroker there was an unwritten rule that every partner had the right to introduce one son into the business.  Who knew that they and Latics would have so much in common!

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Signing bad players instead of good ones seems like an interesting strategy, let us know how they get on...

🤔 not once have I said signing bad players is a great strategy. I've actually been saying dont make a big deal out of missing out on a bad player. I'm saying a good player isn't automatically worth 10 grand a week. Shez proved that with half of his signings who earned next to nothing then saved us twice. Then we get the billy big bollocks names in on big money then get relegated. Goin all out for Maynard and mayor and clough at whatever the cost is NOT the answer. It will just send us the same direction as bury

Archived