Transfer Rumours

He's got a great competitive attitide and as said a certain future team captain. Good in the air and on the ground, although his timing when challenging for high balls can be improved.

Wouldn't say he's the quickest, but definately not slow and covers ground well.

Can get turned by strong slippery strikers like Akinde, but again will gain more know how with experience.

Not the finished product, but will be an asset to any club for many years to come.

Add ons essential as he will only get better.

Ex Scout.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He was voted into the team of the year in league 2 and he also won the young player of the year for league 2 if he carries on his improvement trajectory over the last 18 months then you will have an excellent player. He has been helped by having an experienced pro next to him this season and he may need that with the step upto Rangers. But he should be able to cope in the SPL and he is a potential future captain.

I've always felt he was going to become a decent lower league centre half who was maybe just shit enough for nobody to ever come in for him but good enough to stay here for a long time and do well for us & be an old fashioned decent servant...

He may still be if we don't ultimately sell him...

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He's got a great competitive attitide and as said a certain future team captain. Good in the air and on the ground, although his timing when challenging for high balls can be improved.

Can get turned by strong slippery slippery strikers like Akinde, but again will gain more know how with experience.

Not the finished product, but will be an assett to any club for many years to come.

Ex Scout.

Would agree with all that.

Ex Boys Brigade.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Its a myth we are extinct, just waiting for a climate change to as it was in our good old days. 😎

I think that sometimes taking a step backwards makes going forward much easier. casting aside the rose tinted specs.Boundary Park has always been a happier place than it is right now.

20 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's not a bad player by any stretch but, if you're sat in the stands, he's more likely to give you the ball than one of his team mates...

Not what I wanted to read. Our crowd will be on his back if his distribution is poor.

20 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

He's alright but nothing special. Decent first full season.

I'm struggling to see how a step down from League Two to the SPL will aid his development but, good luck to him... 

No need to be bitter about it HB 😉

20 hours ago, al_bro said:

Yes he has only one full season, but played several games the season before and more or less a regular at the end of that season. He learned a lot from being alongside a very experienced Peter Clarke and he did as he was told by him during games. He has developed into a very decent player but lacks pace. He can also pick a decent pass out of defense. He is worth £1m in my view for his potential and in comparison to fees other players go for these days 

Thanks for the assessment. You seem to contradict another comment re his passing. Lack of pace will be a hindrance for us given how far up we usually hold the line.

20 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

He played every game last season with the exception of the last game. He had improved massively after going on loan to Fylde last season, went a boy and came back a man. He isn't that pretty on the eye although can drive forward and can hit a decent long range pass but he learns quickly, is prepared to take one for the team and not many forwards caused him much of a problem last year. Stockley at Exeter had the better of him but no one else I can think of. I am sure he will do fine at Ibrox mate, he has a big heart and isn't afraid to mix it.    

Cheers. You reckon he has a strong mentality? He good with the ball at his feet? Stockley didn’t exactly set the heather on fire for Aberdeen.

19 hours ago, wiseowl said:

George is an incredible young talent who will, undoubtedly, go all the way to the top. You'd be stealing him at £1million, so, Mr Gers "director" get your hand in your pocket and grab a bargain whilst you can.

P.S. remember the magnificent Andy Goram (?) - went from us to Hibs to you - and was worshipped by your fans thereafter. Well, our George makes him look like quite ordinary in comparison.

Goram was our best ever keeper. Made unbelievable saves.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

The stats proved he was one of the best centre-backs in the league last season but a lot of Latics fans don’t really rate him. Fucking clueless.

Cheers. I was hoping for a strong, good in the air defender that isn’t terrible on the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Gers fan said:

Hahaha! I didn’t realise League 2 was of such a high standard.

Gers fan - in all seriousness, we had a fella who couldn't hit a barn door in EFL 1 (Adam Rooney) - he then went to Aberdeen and was a striking sensation in your Premier League. As a result, we really do suspect that, bar one or 2 obvious clubs, the standard up there is equivalent to our non-league. Some revere George, I think he's an "above average" league 2 player but nothing special. No axe to grind at all regarding him, just cannot see what others seem to see in him.

(And in anticipation of a probable reply from some board users - I rated Tarkowski, Eardley and Dale Stephens - I just don't see George in the same class as those players at all.)

It's all about opinions and I wish George all the best; he clearly doesn't want to be here (shock, surprise) - upwards and onwards.

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He was voted into the team of the year in league 2 and he also won the young player of the year for league 2 if he carries on his improvement trajectory over the last 18 months then you will have an excellent player. He has been helped by having an experienced pro next to him this season and he may need that with the step upto Rangers. But he should be able to cope in the SPL and he is a potential future captain.

Some fans on this message board didn't rate James Tarkowski Dale Stephens or Neal Eardley when they played for Oldham all went to play in the premier league. 

Thanks. Sounds like he’s come on a lot this season and has potential.

Just now, singe said:

And pretty much ours. First time round.

I think wisewol must be comparing George to Goram's second spell, otherwise he is on drugs.

I`ve just been coughing on my spliff.

Please re-read my comment - it was very tongue in cheek - I was trying to create a myth to bump the price up - we need the money you know 😉

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Can get turned by strong slippery strikers like Akinde, but again will gain more know how with experience.

Not the finished product, but will be an asset to any club for many years to come.

Ex Scout.

Cheers for the thorough assessment. Sounds like he has good raw attributes and is a good pro. I’m concerned about his ability to get too tight and get turned. That’s the style of forward Celtic have. If he gets off to a decent start I’m hopeful he’ll do well.

Just now, wiseowl said:

I`ve just been coughing on my spliff.

Please re-read my comment - it was very tongue in cheek - I was trying to create a myth to bump the price up - we need the money you know 😉

Yeah, got that after your second post and took it out! I'd just seen the quote not the context.

And we should get Rangers gazumped at £2m....

3 minutes ago, Gers fan said:

Cheers for the thorough assessment. Sounds like he has good raw attributes and is a good pro. I’m concerned about his ability to get too tight and get turned. That’s the style of forward Celtic have. If he gets off to a decent start I’m hopeful he’ll do well.

Incisive thought - as I think that's his biggest weakness. Anybody "fleet of foot" will roast him - he's not the quickest off the mark and turns at the speed of a super tanker. Please accept the slight exagerration for the purpose of analogy.

16 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Gers fan - in all seriousness, we had a fella who couldn't hit a barn door in EFL 1 (Adam Rooney) - he then went to Aberdeen and was a striking sensation in your Premier League. As a result, we really do suspect that, bar one or 2 obvious clubs, the standard up there is equivalent to our non-league. Some revere George, I think he's an "above average" league 2 player but nothing special. No axe to grind at all regarding him, just cannot see what others seem to see in him.

(And in anticipation of a probable reply from some board users - I rated Tarkowski, Eardley and Dale Stephens - I just don't see George in the same class as those players at all.)

It's all about opinions and I wish George all the best; he clearly doesn't want to be here (shock, surprise) - upwards and onwards.

Rooney did ok at Aberdeen but was pretty average latterly. He ended up going back south because McInnes didn’t rate him enough to offer him more money. I’d politely suggest basing your opinion of the league on him is a bit daft. Plenty of other players have gone south and done very well for themselves. McGinn most recently who I didn’t rate too highly. Or even have a look Pukki who was absolutely gash for Celtic yet swept all before him for Norwich. We have a couple of sh*te teams at the bottom but doesn’t every league? 

2 minutes ago, Gers fan said:

Rooney did ok at Aberdeen the first time around but was pretty average. He ended up going back south because McInnes didn’t rate him enough to offer him more money. I’d politely suggest basing your opinion of the league on him is a bit daft. Plenty of other players have gone south and done very well for themselves. McGinn most recently who I didn’t rate too highly. Or even have a look Pukki who was absolutely gash for Celtic yet swept all before him for Norwich. We have a couple of sh*te teams at the bottom but doesn’t every league? 

Well, last season (barring Bury - which I hate to say) every other team in our league (including us) was sh.te - not just those at the bottom 

P.S. but please buy George - he was the one shining light 😊

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Well, last season (barring Bury - which I hate to say) every other team in our league (including us) was sh.te - not just those at the bottom 

P.S. but please buy George - he was the one shining light 😊

Haha Jordan Rossiter went down there on loan and played well by all accounts. Hopefully someone takes a punt on him on the back of that.

Safe to say you haven’t filled me with confidence. I’ll surprised if we bid much higher.

Archived