Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

A 34 year old crock who spends more time injured than actually playing. Good escape I would say. He was a great player but now is passed his best. 

Similar things were said about him when we were linked with him last summer. A good player in his day but too injury prone.

3 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

A 34 year old crock who spends more time injured than actually playing. Good escape I would say. He was a great player but now is passed his best. 

You seem to have an handle on the ability of players that is far beyond the norm, I'd say you are wasting your time knocking about on here.

Welsh, along with Neal Bishop, are the type of players who I believe would improve the squad we current have.  Disciplined midfielders who sit in front of the back four and allow other players to create.

The big issues being that Welsh has been injury prone in recent years and that we really don't know who will still be here by August, so it's hard to know who we'll be building the squad around!

Can't say I'm gutted that we missed out on either player mentioned above, but we need to have experienced players in the right areas of the pitch in the coming year.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Welsh, along with Neal Bishop, are the type of players who I believe would improve the squad we current have.  Disciplined midfielders who sit in front of the back four and allow other players to create.

It's League Two. 

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

You need holding midfielders at any level.

Although I feel we've been here before.

:grin:

They serve a purpose if you've got attacking talent further forward.

If we haven't - like we didn't have last season, and the last several seasons - we'll suffer more from having a player (eg, Fane) who can't create and/or score than we would not having someone shielding the back four against shite League Two midfielders and forwards... 

A bad example but Gardner can pass a bit, carry the ball, create a bit, and tackle a bit, and may well produce BP1960's promised goals one day - we'd be better off with two Gardner's than a Gardner and a Fane/Welsh....

13 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

If we haven't - like we didn't have last season, and the last several seasons - we'll suffer more from having a player (eg, Fane) who can't create and/or score than we would not having someone shielding the back four against shite League Two midfielders and forwards... 

A bad example but Gardner can pass a bit, carry the ball, create a bit, and tackle a bit, and may well produce BP1960's promised goals one day - we'd be better off with two Gardner's than a Gardner and a Fane/Welsh....

Last season we scored 58 goals as many as Charlton who finished 6th and Plymouth who finished 7th, it was just 2 less than Shrewsbury who got to the play off final. We scored 9 goals more than Rochdale who finished above us and scored 27 goals more than the 2016-17 season where we finished a comfortable 17th.

We went down because of the goals we shipped.

We need a player who can win the ball like Fane could but take care of it better and sit infront of the back 4 and offer a shield. The other 3-4 midfielders around him need to be capable of both going forwards and contributing goals and pressing to win the ball back when we lose it.

We also need 1 centre back 1 left back a wide man or 2 depending who goes and 2 strikers assuming Davies goes, and a goalkeeper.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We need a player who can win the ball like Fane could but take care of it better and sit infront of the back 4 and offer a shield the other 3-4 midfielders around him need to be capable of both going forwards and contributing goals and pressing to win the ball back when we lose it.

We also need 1 centre back 1 left back a wide man or 2 depending who goes and 2 strikers assuming Davies goes, and a goalkeeper.

So just the 8 new players then...?

9 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Can I just say that Fane is not a holding midfielder, and absolutely not a disciplined midfielder.

Fane was at his best when pressing and winning the ball higher up the pitch.  Whenever I saw us play with him as the sitting midfielder we got torn to shreds.  His positional sense was awful.  We played Ollie Banks and Gardner as the deepest midfielders (neither of them could tackle well) when Fane played as time went on which says a lot about his positional discipline.

Fane would be at his best in a central midfield 3, with a proper holding midfielder behind him to allow him to press with freedom and a Byrne/Baxter alongside him to negate his lack of ability to create.

2 Gardner's as a central midfield would be relegated from League Two.  He isn't a good holding midfielder either and we'd get torn apart in the middle of the pitch with a like-minded player in there too.

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Last season we scored 58 goals as many as Charlton who finished 6th and Plymouth who finished 7th, it was just 2 less than Shrewsbury who got to the play off final. We scored 9 goals more than Rochdale who finished above us and scored 27 goals more than the 2016-17 season where we finished a comfortable 17th.

We need a player who can win the ball like Fane could but take care of it better and sit infront of the back 4 and offer a shield the other 3-4 midfielders around him need to be capable of both going forwards and contributing goals and pressing to win the ball back when we lose it.

You made my point better than I could.

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We need a player who can win the ball like Fane could but take care of it better and sit infront of the back 4 and offer a shield. The other 3-4 midfielders around him need to be capable of both going forwards and contributing goals and pressing to win the ball back when we lose it.

Just to add to this btw the 75 goals we conceded last season was the clubs highest tally during the 21 years in league 1 passing the previous high of 73 goals conceded in the 2004-05 season.

13 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

So just the 8 new players then...?

12 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

1 ballwinning midfielder

1 left back

2 wide men

1 centre back

2 strikers

1 goalkeeper

That’s 8 isn’t it? ?

picky? Me? Nah...?

Archived