Bunn Officially confirmed

He was probably 5 mins from the sack last night but he can only play who he has available. The way the players celebrated the goal with him tells a story.

I think we should stick with him until at least January, give him the transfer window and see what it brings.

I really can’t see the point in sacking him at this stage.

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He was probably 5 mins from the sack last night but he can only play who he has available. The way the players celebrated the goal with him tells a story.

I think we should stick with him until at least January, give him the transfer window and see what it brings.

I really can’t see the point in sacking him at this stage.

If AL knows who he wants to replace him then Bunn will get slightly longer. If AL needs to recruit someone then I think Bunn will need to perform (slightly) better in the league and beat Maidstone to stay in the job. 

This is because any new manager will need a bit of time to assess the needs for new players and which ones can be used as make weights for January wheeling and dealing. 

I think he's finally worked out what our best team is, but why has it taken him so long (if it is, of course, him who has been picking the team..)?

Is it also a bit strange that he never seems to know anything about the opposition?

He's said from day one, he doesn't know what to expect from the division.  In the interview Iversen gave before the Port Vale game, Iversen admitted no one had a clue what to expect from Vale and last night Frankie was asked in an interview before the game if he'd done his research on Hampton and Richmond, looked a bit perplexed and mumbled something about watching videos on social media!

16 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I could see him still sacking him today! Bit of cash coming in, he could have been waiting till after last night. Maybe didn’t want to rock the boast with this game coming up. Who knows he’s nothing if not erratic in decision making 

AL was back in the country (again) to watch last night - TV showed him sat next to his brother.

Think Broady's missed out there by not getting a sponsor for Mohammed's flat cap!

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the general consensus? 

Keep or dump? 

Pro’s

Despite popular opinion, we score goals. 

We’ve shown character in a number of games. 

It feels like we’re slowly improving. 

Cons.

The football can be dull. 

His tactics can be questioned. 

For me, he’s doing ok. You can’t escape the fact that the squad is poor overall- so what can we expect? Plus he’s a rookie manager. (I know he’s coached but it’s a different ball game managing- ask Brian kid) I  think when everyone is fit, we are probably just under where we should be but not to the point where I think his Job is under threat. 

Saturday is massive for him as manager. Win- and we’ve more money coming in, and possibly one or two more additions in Jan. Lose- and it’s mid table for the rest of the season. 

Either way- as long as we finish mid table/top half I’d be happy to give him another crack next year. He genuinely looks like he’s learning. 

Edited by League one forever

Imo it would be crazy to disrupt the camp now.

I feel things are settling down and the players all seem committed to the cause and give the manager 100 %

He's new to management really, the club was in turmoil when he took the job, he wants the best for the club, I believe that.

We are touching distance off the play offs and not half way through the season yet.

Things could be better but there are signs of the team improving, if the players and manager give their all like against Lincoln then what more can we ask, we are a league 2 club with league 2 players, they won't score every chance, they will make mistakes and they will have poor performances.

But having a good camp and spirit with a good group of positive fans could compensate for that little bit of quality we lack.

Keep Bunn, beat Maidstone and keep improving as a club.

That is all I ask from them.

We will never be a man city but that doesn't mean we can't make huge strides with some consistency on and off the pitch

Nothing changes for me, give him till the window to get us to a minimum top 10 and hopefully with a third round cup game to come we can strengthen our midfield which for me is still two or three players short of where it needs to be. 

We really should be around the playoffs given the quality of this division and we are suffering still from Bunns insistence on playing O'Grady week in week out sometimes in a one man attack but he appears to of addressed that one now and we are actually better to watch as well so there are reasons to be positive.

I get why some of our fans can't get dizzy over a couple of draws against Tranmere and Lincoln but they were in 1st and 4th respectively and it's important now that these results are backed up with wins and strong performances against Maidstone and Crewe. 

We are five unbeaten, look like we've got goals in us but more importantly the desire and attitude of the players is spot on and at the end of the day they can do no more for us than give their all, I do hope AL strengthens and brings in players who will immediately make us better, solid honest pros who would slot into what we are currently trying to build.

A month ago Bunn was a dead man walking for me but he seems to have turned a corner I just wished he'd be more bolder and go for these teams, an example was Lincoln pulled everyone back on Tuesday and we had a free kick in a dangerous area but had five of the nine outfield men behind the ball which to me is stupid, I know we had to keep our shape with 10 but those set pieces were a great chance to apply pressure but we weren't prepared to gamble. 

Onwards and upwards though and another couple of wins before the Bury game could set that up nicely.

It would be close to insanity in my book to roll the dice now. If there is one (ha!) thing that our club needs it is some stability as there is no chance of building something long term without establishing some sort of base. 

Unless it is blindingly obvious that the incumbent can never be the right man, in a David Dunn kind of a way, then he has to be given a decent chance of showing that he is. 

Less than half a season isn't that. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It would be close to insanity in my book to roll the dice now. If there is one (ha!) thing that our club needs it is some stability as there is no chance of building something long term without establishing some sort of base. 

Unless it is blindingly obvious that the incumbent can never be the right man, in a David Dunn kind of a way, then he has to be given a decent chance of showing that he is. 

Less than half a season isn't that. 

I think that is spot on, if it's blindingly obvious things are not working out then Latics fans en masse tend to call for the managers head. So as well as Dunn, Robinson as well. Wellens was a very good example. Had a great start, but each month it went worse, till the little pick up in January before it fell back again.

Ordinarily, it was a poor appointment in the first palce of course.

It took him 15 games to work out that this division isn't as good as some thought it was going to be. As this coincided with Rhodes leaving it has slightly clouded things. 

December is a key month for him. But we are more than capable of winning every game. Progress in the 2 cups and get 10 points, something that is eminently achievable, and everything will be rosy. 

However, if the next 2 weeks don't go well then I can see him being shown the door. He'd have gotten nearly half a season, a reasonable amount of time, and will give a new manager time to see where we need to strengthen in January. 

I am significantly more confident that Bunn can get us promoted than I was a month ago. 

Edited by rudemedic

14 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

He:d have gotten nearly half a season, a reasonable amount of time, and will give a new manager time to see where we need to strengthen in January. 

In no possible world is it a reasonable amount of time. Certainly not in this one with all the extenuating circumstances. 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

In no possible world is it a reasonable amount of time. Certainly not in this one with all the extenuating circumstances. 

Whilst l agree with the sentiment of this post, half a season is seen as a very long time in the Football world.

Think there is a stat that shows our last eight managers (or so) got half a season.

Possible that l made that up in my sleep tho.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

So you'd never sack anyone after only half a season, even if we are bottom?

Holden, Robinson, Kelly, Dunn and Shez (most recent time) didn't deserve to get sacked? 

6 months is longer than a lot of people get when they demonstrate they aren't good enough to do the job. Or when their lack of ability costs a company money. 

If there wasn't a transfer window I'd be willing to give Bunn more time, but the transfer window dictates things slightly. 

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

So you'd never sack anyone after only half a season, even if we are bottom?

Holden, Robinson, Kelly, Dunn and Shez (most recent time) didn't deserve to get sacked? 

6 months is longer than a lot of people get when they demonstrate they aren't good enough to do the job. Or when their lack of ability costs a company money. 

If there wasn't a transfer window I'd be willing to give Bunn more time, but the transfer window dictates things slightly. 

The gist of my post was that if he hasn't proved he's the wrong man then he deserves time to show he is the right one, and I cited Dunn as an example of one who was clearly the wrong man. 

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Whilst l agree with the sentiment of this post, half a season is seen as a very long time in the Football world.

Think there is a stat that shows our last eight managers (or so) got half a season.

Possible that l made that up in my sleep tho.

Wellens (more than half) 

Shez (about half) 

Robinson (slightly more than half but was in January) 

Shez (less, but wasn't sacked) 

Dunn (less) 

Kelly (less) 

Holden (less) 

Johnson (more and wasn't sacked) 

TP (less but only temporary) 

Dickov (more) 

Edited by rudemedic

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

Wellens (more than half) 

Shez (less) 

Robinson (slightly more than half but was in January) 

Dunn (less) 

Kelly (less) 

Holden (less) 

TP (less but only temporary) 

Dickov (more) 

Laughing stock. Yes, if we create yet another vacancy we will get plenty of applications but not from anyone who has confidence they will get an offer elsewhere. 

I’d keep him, but results change people minds very quickly, it’s a fickle game. He loses two on the bounce we be calling for his head again. I would love to see him take us up tho, I reckon a badge punch after promotion could bring me to tears! For now, FRANKIE BUNNS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!

36 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Wellens (more than half)                                                               Deserved to go, not up to it

Shez (about half)                                                                              History would dictate a longer opportunity, but anyone else would have gone

Robinson (slightly more than half but was in January)       Deserved to go, not up to it.

Dunn (less)                                                                                           Deserved to go , not up to it.

Kelly (less)                                                                                            Deserved to go, right up there as one of the worst appointments

Holden (less)                                                                                       Deserved to go. 1 point per game average

TP (less but only temporary)                                                          On his football recorrd, I'd have ben happy with a shot, but know nothig about his suspension

Dickov (more)                                                                                      Deserved to go, got more time than he should have.

But how many of those were perceived as wrong dismissals by the majority ( I'm aligned to Dave's pioint). Most should not have been appointed in the first place.