Bunn Officially confirmed

To clarify since people seem to think that I recommend that we do certain things to follow what Dale do, that would not include appointing a failed Assistant Manager .

However I am pleased as others have said that it is not a foreign coach (and not to work under a Director of Football.)

It is just a bit lacking in imagination under the new owner but I never really got the optimism for the new regime.

Didn't expect this but he does have many years football experience and should have contacts that will allow him, if Abdallah agrees, to bring in players like Bryan.  I hope he is the manager and not the coach so I look forward to the signing of a first team coach.

I don't doubt he will have the skills to manage the players.  What I doubt is that he will pick the players.  A football agent as an owner is a recipe for meddling and why not as it is his to meddle with.  So the question I have is can he manage Abdallah?

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Not sure why the owner bringing players in is automatically seen as a problem?

It undermines the manager.

The manager generally knows more about the game than the owner - that's why he's the manager and he should be the one making the footballing decisions.

The manager might not want the players forced on him and then have to try and play a system he doesn't want to play and doesn't work.

The players forced on the manager might divide the dressing room.

Hiring players in this way might not necessarily be for the club's benefit.

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It undermines the manager.

The manager generally knows more about the game than the owner - that's why he's the manager and he should be the one making the footballing decisions.

The manager might not want the players forced on him and then have to try and play a system he doesn't want to play and doesn't work.

The players forced on the manager might divide the dressing room.

Hiring players in this way might not necessarily be for the club's benefit.

Increasingly managers don’t pick players. Either owners or directors of football do.  A manager should be a decent coach/tactician first and foremost.  At our level a manager will never have a team full of players he wants or needs. 

7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Increasingly managers don’t pick players. Either owners or directors of football do.  A manager should be a decent coach/tactician first and foremost.  At our level a manager will never have a team full of players he wants or needs. 

He might not get the players he wants but surely he can turn down players he doesn't want?

I'm not going to pretend to know how football clubs work and it sounds like you do, but that just sounds like a recipe for fall-outs all over the place.  

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Not sure why the owner bringing players in is automatically seen as a problem?

It's not....

................if he is going to happily spend £10k a week of his own hard earned on shite players like Manouche etc. and expect nothing back for it. Fingers crossed he knows some good players too. Or doesn't get bored of spunking it on shite.

Guest Stanley30

Great appointment and really made up to get a legend back at the club who has a real connection with it. Has extensive experience working with youngsters which is great and should be a boast to our academy rather than bringing mercenaries in. Hopefully AL will let him get on with it and put his stamp on the club. 

Welcome back Frankie, bring that spirit back :)

It was a given that Antonio Conte didn't fancy the job but I'm most certainly not disappointed with Frankie Bunn as he knows the club and atleast being a decent Ex Striker we should be more on the front foot when the new season starts.

He has my full backing as would anybody given the opportunity of making my club great again :chubb:

Well there's some vitriol on this thread. Here is a man with 20 odd years in the back office working and learning from various managers. Has seen success and failure knows what contributed to both. Has a distinguished playing career and still holds a current goalscoring record. He's been interviewed for the job three times and been overlooked twice but come back a third time. He knows all about the situation at the club and has STILL put pen to paper for OUR club HIS club. He may not be everyone's choice but the man has some balls taking the so called 'poison chalice'. I initially felt the underwhelming surrounding what looks like a makeshift or cheap appointment. It really isn't, the man WANTED to represent a club he loves and for that alone deserves the backing of the supporters. He has mine ... Welcome back Frankie, prove your doubters wrong ... Make them eat their words and don't set unrealistic unachievable targets publicly ... JFDI

6 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Tony Carss, who knows both Latics and Bunn very well, and doesn't sugarcoat things, says:

Rick Holden sends his best wishes as well. Can some kind sole find it? 

Edited by LaticsLen

26 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Great appointment and really made up to get a legend back at the club who has a real connection with it. Has extensive experience working with youngsters which is great and should be a boast to our academy rather than bringing mercenaries in. Hopefully AL will let him get on with it and put his stamp on the club. 

Welcome back Frankie, bring that spirit back :)

If only he was black eh ? Sick of all these honkies getting all the jobs. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

He might not get the players he wants but surely he can turn down players he doesn't want?

I'm not going to pretend to know how football clubs work and it sounds like you do, but that just sounds like a recipe for fall-outs all over the place.  

He should be able to turn down players he doesn’t want. Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It also sounds like the last 20 years.... 

3 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

You can be underwhelmed and supportive at the same time.

Personally sitting on the fence means splinters. Wish a few on here would try and be optimistic and stop blaming FB and our new owner for history?

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

And on the whole, at said clubs, managers rarely stay long at those clubs. Often fired off for not being any good when they’ve had to make do with players not of their own choosing. 

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Speculation.   Another cry baby neg.  It is sooo easy to be a snide and negative.  It also speaks volumes about him and you.  What a tragic and bitter existence.

What a fantastically idiotic thing to say.

If you allow emotion, instead of reason and logic, to dictate your response to any situation in life you will be stung quite regular. It is ludicrous and incredibly ignorant to expect supporters - some of whom have experienced bitter disappointed for nearly 30 years - to bounce along like a giddy three-year old. If you haven't by now questioned the club's conduct in most areas of its operation, using your money to do so, then that is your problem. Now, I know you don't like owt to be shown to the light of question but I'm going to do so regardless.

The appointment of Frankie Bunn is somewhat disappointing. I wish the man - a good man and former player - all the best and I will attend games wanting him to succeed, but it is news fit to invoke puzzlement. Firstly, why has it taken Bunn so long to move into management? At 55, that goes against the grain of most managers taking their first job. Secondly, why has he been given a one-year contract? It does not demonstrate confidence and commitment. There is not a doubt in my mind that Bunn will be sacked after 12-15 games if we are not winning because Lemsagam clearly possesses a knack for making decisions bordering on the insane . It is understandable to ask for stability but it is painful to read so many accepting a season of nothingness. 

As an aside, for those using the hideous phrase "manage expectations" raise your own and avoid it. I don't know what makes me angrier: reading that on numerous occasions or having to click into the League Two section on the BBC website to discover the Bunn news.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Sums it up well

If it’s anything to do with you the World is probably coming to an end as well. I have been reading your pessimism for months now. Christ can’t you be optimistic for a bloody change. I for one am pissed off with your eternal doom and gloom. For god sake give it a rest and go and suck your dummy until you swallow it. 

I don't get the instant negativity at all. The bloke has barely had chance to fart in his office chair before people want him out. 

The bloke has been in and around football for a very long time. He's coached and developed his trade. He's not a shiney new rookie who has just passed his coaching badges. He'll say it how it is and he won't feel like he has to be 'mates' with the players because he is a few years older than them. He's old school, yes. He's not managed at league level but he is Oldham. He knows the club. He's proud to be here and enthusiastic. I'd take that over anyone who has no affinity with the club and in it as a stepping stone to another job. I don't see Frank doing that.

He's got my backing and I'll be supporting the squad he puts out. Frankie Bunn's Blue and White Army.