Bunn Officially confirmed

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I can't get my head around any football fan being "gutted" when a goalkeeper coach leaves. Fingers crossed it works out for us...

Always a shame when someone who's been at a club so long leaves. Here's what one fan has said:

"This is great for Andy Rhodes (Good luck at Oldham in your new role Andy) but terrible news for SWFC

If you think about the personalities and motivators around the club that we have, Andy was definitely one of the biggest.

Not only did he do an incredible job bringing on our keepers as he did, but he's also one of the fellas always smiling, laughing, motivating."

Sounds like just the sort of personality we can do with having around. Can't imagine the dressing room was a great place to be in and about in those torrid last 12 games of the season just gone. Sounds like a top man-manager too, could provide an ear to some of the lads if they need it:

"All the keepers he's worked with think the world of him. You only have to listen to Chris Kirkland talking about how he was with him when he was suffering with his mental health while still with us."

Fingers crossed ay? FB and AR will certainly have plenty of goodwill as long as things are going alright..

Rhodes added: 

“I was here as a player in the great days with some really good people and I was fortunate to come back with Andy Ritchie and Iain Dowie as goalkeeping coach. The next progression in your life is to go the managerial side and fortunately Frank asked me to do that and I couldn’t wait to get here.”

Does that mean Rhodes won't double up as goalkeeping coach, and that Carlo Nash may be staying?

Just watched the interview on player. One thing about these two is their undoubted affection for this football club.

Rhodes has 8 years in with Wednesday and loved it there in a cracking and probably well paid job but had no hesitation in coming here.

If these two can complement one another and gel these players together I reckon  this could be the start of something really good.

They’re both here for the right reasons..

I’ve forgotten relegation already.....COYB!!

Edited by oafc1955

47 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Just watched the interview on player. One thing about these two is their undoubted affection for this football club.

Rhodes has 8 years in with Wednesday and loved it there in a cracking and probably well paid job but had no hesitation in coming here.

If these two can complement one another and gel these players together I reckon  this could be the start of something really good.

They’re both here for the right reasons..

I’ve forgotten relegation already.....COYB!!

Christ, you've changed.

Doom & gloom last week when we appointed Bunn.

Cannot wait for the season to start now!

Hopefully AL will give Bunn and Rhodes the funds necessary to win promotion. If he does this, we could be in for an exciting 12 months.

They’re both clearly very passionate about the club. Wouldn’t it be great if these were the ones to drag us out of the doldrums?

To come from a secure position (well, as secure as football can be) with a Championship club to come to League 2 says a lot about the man. If AR shows the same passion and professionalism as an assistant manager that he did as a player, we've struck gold. Just the man to bring the dressing room together, too. He's quite a character from what I recall; remember him doing juggling tricks pre-match at Wembley 1990. Mind you, they say goalkeepers are a bit crazy.

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

To come from a secure position (well, as secure as football can be) with a Championship club to come to League 2 says a lot about the man. If AR shows the same passion and professionalism as an assistant manager that he did as a player, we've struck gold. Just the man to bring the dressing room together, too. He's quite a character from what I recall; remember him doing juggling tricks pre-match at Wembley 1990. Mind you, they say goalkeepers are a bit crazy.

Yes, a great character and a good goalkeeper too, I'm very pleased to see him back. Hopefully we will  gain from Andy on team spirit and positive mental approach as well as on solid technique / organisation for goalkeeping and defending. I thought he was really unlucky with the goal in that Wembley match, IIRC  he made a good one-on-one save and the rebound dropped straight back at the feet of the striker. 

Going back a few years now, but we played Hereford (and lost 0-1) in the league on a very very cold tuesday eve and I was repaying some corperate hospitality by taking a colleague to see the mighty Latics and for a pre match curry at the Indian Ocean near Tesco. As we ordered our food two well dressed gentlemen sat just behing us. They were non stop taking about Oldham and the players, formation, how they would set it up, clubs lack of commercial activity the then chairman and how they would put it right. They talked with passion and sense and a knowledge I had seldom heard in my visits. We finished our meal  and I finally got to look at the two and was immedialty star struck as Frankie Bunn and Andy Rhodes were sat behind me. That was 10 ish years ago and now they are the managerial dream team. All I can say is that if they put into practice what they discussed that night then we will do ok. They were not impressed with the manager (IIRC it was Penney) and they didnt have very nice things to say about the owners. They also (which I found odd) said they hadnt been welcomed the previous time. I cant remember the exact words but they kind of hoped that they could bypass any fuss by meeting Gordy first.

Good luck to them. They at least deserve our full support from the off as they were 'dreaming' of this 10 years ago. I though that was just for us mere supporters to dream of and not the players who were here for the best of times and played at the very highest the club have achieved.

Edited by andy_b_100
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

Going back a few years now, but we played Hereford (and lost 0-1) in the league on a very very cold tuesday eve and I was repaying some corperate hospitality by taking a colleague to see the mighty Latics and for a pre match curry at the Indian Ocean near Tesco. As we ordered our food two well dressed gentlemen sat just behing us. They were non stop taking about Oldham and the players, formation, how they would set it up, clubs lack of commercial activity the then chairman and how they would put it right. They talked with passion and sense and a knowledge I had seldom heard in my visits. We finished our meal  and I finally got to look at the two and was immedialty star struck as Frankie Bunn and Andy Rhodes were sat behind me. That was 10 ish years ago and now they are the managerial dream team. All I can say is that if they put into practice what they discussed that night then we will do ok. They were not impressed with the manager (IIRC it was Penney) and they didnt have very nice things to say about the owners. They also (which I found odd) said they hadnt been welcomed the previous time. I cant remember the exact words but they kind of hoped that they could bypass any fuss by meeting Gordy first.

Good luck to them. They at least deserve our full support from the off as they were 'dreaming' of this 10 years ago. I though that was just for us mere supporters to dream of and not the players who were here for the best of times and played at the very highest the club have achieved.

We've never lost 1-0 to Hereford :D

8 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

That has got to be one of the most elaborate lies I have ever heard...

Am inclined to think so too.

Do remember both Bunn and Rhodes with kindness, founders of The Glory Days.

Wishing them all the best. 

Incidentally, wot ever happened to Jon Hallworth? Rhodes vs Hallworth was a great debate at the time, iirc.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

First signing will be interesting. If it is an unknown centre back from some shite in France, we can assume that Lemsagam is still calling all the shots on the playing front...

Stop teasing.  What have you heard on new signings?