Frankie Bunn Poll

Frankie Bunn Managerial Appointment.  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Frankie Bunn's appointment?

• Good choice
    • Not sure.
    • Poor choice.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Lots of options out there who know the job and the leagues and wouldn't have the cost the earth - Curle, Gary Johnson, Jim Bentley.

This appointment happened very quickly suggesting there wasn't much of a shortlist.

Maybe we should’ve strung it out another month while your Steve Evanses fuck with us, and we end up with 4 players contracted early July?

2 minutes ago, maddog said:

Maybe we should’ve strung it out another month while your Steve Evanses fuck with us, and we end up with 4 players contracted early July?

By all accounts Wellens knew his fate at least two months ago.

Most of the squad is still under contract.

When was the last time you saw someone that happy to be the manager of Oldham Athletic?. He really really wanted this job. Two failed attempts... Third time lucky... That can only be see as hugely positive man refusing to believe he is not the man for the job.

1 minute ago, andy_b_100 said:

When was the last time you saw someone that happy to be the manager of Oldham Athletic?. He really really wanted this job. Two failed attempts... Third time lucky... That can only be see as hugely positive man refusing to believe he is not the man for the job.

Ask yourself which other club would he have been considered for? We can probably assume that he has applied for other jobs.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

By all accounts Wellens knew his fate at least two months ago.

Most of the squad is still under contract.

He knew he was at risk 2 months ago. 

Most of the the squad appeared to be not good enough or fired up enough. So how many will want to stay and be fired up this time? That’s for Bunn to quickly decide who to allow to leave, who to bin off, who to give extra time regarding newly offered contracts, who should remain but only as back up...

Just now, maddog said:

He knew he was at risk 2 months ago. 

Most of the the squad appeared to be not good enough or fired up enough. So how many will want to stay and be fired up this time? That’s for Bunn to quickly decide who to allow to leave, who to bin off, who to give extra time regarding newly offered contracts, who should remain but only as back up...

And he has no known experience in those crucial areas.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'd suggest you can alleviate the risk somewhat by appointing someone who has shown they can do the job previously.

Horses for courses though. As we know, certain managers work well with specific clubs and specific circumstances (e.g., Shez when Latics or Fleetwood need to avoid relegation) but not others. None have worked well with Latics and our specific circumstances for a number of years. ‘The next man’ might. 

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'd suggest you can alleviate the risk somewhat by appointing someone who has shown they can do the job previously.

That may be true but, Gary Johnson has been both hero and anti-christ at both Bristol City and Yeovil at different times.

Got coaching experience prior to management and that will help with theach day to day training.

I look at who else he brings in on the staff aswell.

But good choice as it's better than a full rookie cutting their teeth and let's be honest it's league two so it's not like we get the pickof the litter.

Welcome aboard Frankie.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Tranmere appointed Micky Adams shortly after dropping into L2. That ended well.

Bunn is one of my all time ever favourite players. He transformed that side into a real force, the missing piece in the jigsaw.

I have no idea how he will be as manager, no idea whether he was the best candidate or what will happen from August. I just hope he does well, by God do we need a good season at the top of a table even if it is the shit division. I'd like to see the young kids played with a mix of experience, we need some long term planning and team building, get a style of play and get good at it. I've forgotten what it feels like to be at Boundary Park with a winning team.

From an acquaintance on Facebook -

“Latics fans: My admittedly limited impressions of Frankie Bunn from seeing him work at Hudd Town..... Training will be very professional, will work his players VERY hard, especially in pre-season, big focus on stopping the other team play, works alot on set pieces (including throwins - seen him get really frustrated at his team for not setting up correctly at these, both on and off the ball). Will not be one for carrying passengers or the arm round the shoulder (I was actually terrified of him - but I know many think highly of him as a bloke). Demands a shift from everyone, especially defensively.”

22 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

“Latics fans: My admittedly limited impressions of Frankie Bunn from seeing him work at Hudd Town..... Training will be very professional, will work his players VERY hard, especially in pre-season, big focus on stopping the other team play, works alot on set pieces (including throwins - seen him get really frustrated at his team for not setting up correctly at these, both on and off the ball). Will not be one for carrying passengers or the arm round the shoulder (I was actually terrified of him - but I know many think highly of him as a bloke). Demands a shift from everyone, especially defensively.”

This is encouraging. 

25 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Hope the players respond to him. Current squad has a set of ego-centric arseholes. Wellens gave up on them. Hopefully Bunn can whip them into shape.