The fans bar is dead...long live the fans bar...

Okay chaps, I'm using you, the OWTB contributors as a sounding board before we commit too much time and resources into the fans bar working group and Yarddog  reminded me that I need to get something done. Please be mindful this is only an idea again...no promises..So here goes.....

The Trust firmly believe that there is a necessity of a fans bar, a better one with access for all minimum but it can only work if it's something us fans want and can support in various ways. So here is an update:

location: if we are looking on site at BP, we are looking at the original place ground floor of the north stand. There has been a development with that space as it is now "to let" and looking for a tenant. That in itself has implications. There was originally a renter for that space and because they did not go ahead, it has meant a shortfall in finances, hence it now up to let again.  We have asked how much would it be to rent on a yearly basis and at the moment it's something we can't consider committing too. So if we go ahead and negotiate to use this space, it would be temporary and could be pulled on us with a minimum notice. Or even as we are about to use it. So that's the location briefly covered.

SAG snagging list: Safety advisory group have come back with a snagging list of we are to proceed and it's got financial implications as they are asking for some work to be done in the room itself. I haven't seen the list yet, but toilets and smoke alarms are on it. So again if it's something the fans want, we could be asking for some good will/free of charge/skilled people to help or even, to donate items. Again, that work, items we fix in place would be/could be lost.

So, thoughts.....is this something you would like to see at BP? Something you could support pre/post match? Ideas? Suggestions?

please post below...thanks in advance

Edited by underdog

8 minutes ago, underdog said:

Okay chaps, I'm using you, the OWTB contributors as a sounding board before we commit too much time and resources into the fans bar working group and Yarddog  reminded me that I need to get something done. Please be mindful this is only an idea again...no promises..So here goes.....

The Trust firmly believe that there is a necessity of a fans bar, a better one with access for all minimum but it can only work if it's something us fans want and can support in various ways. So here is an update:

location: if we are looking on site at BP, we are looking at the original place ground floor of the north stand. There has been a development with that space as it is now "to let" and looking for a tenant. That in itself has implications. There was originally a renter for that space and because they did not go ahead, it has meant a shortfall in finances, hence it now up to let again.  We have asked how much would it be to rent on a yearly basis and at the moment it's something we can't consider committing too. So if we go ahead and negotiate to use this space, it would be temporary and could be pulled on us with a minimum notice. Or even as we are about to use it. So that's the location briefly covered.

SAG snagging list: Safety advisory group have come back with a snagging list of we are to proceed and it's got financial implications as they are asking for some work to be done in the room itself. I haven't seen the list yet, but toilets and smoke alarms are on it. So again if it's something the fans want, we could be asking for some good will/free of charge/skilled people to help or even, to donate items. Again, that work, items we fix in place would be/could be lost.

So, thoughts.....is this something you would like to see at BP? Something you could support pre/post match? Ideas? Suggestions?

please post below...thanks in advance

Can't the Fleetwood example be used?

At the stadium there is the informal sounding “Jim’s Bar” which is purpose-built and opened in October 2008 with both sets of fans allowed to mingle before and after the game.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

At the stadium there is the informal sounding “Jim’s Bar” which is purpose-built and opened in October 2008 with both sets of fans allowed to mingle before and after the game.

Think you need to lower your expectations somewhat...

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can't the space at the back of the RRE be used with some sort of beer tent?

As an alternate location?... We'd have to look at the logistics of screening a match pre/post game...meaning electrics but I'll put this down as a possible. 

Cheers

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've never been but I'll put it on the list

thanks

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

All for it. A fans bar would stop me arriving at the ground at 2.58...

Well, BP160 has suggested us getting a house on the old clayton site....now remind me where you live again hmmmm....NIMBY..haha

thanks for the positive post

Is it at all viable that the Bar be such a success that it could pay more or less market rate (obviously I don't know the rate) and be considered a tenant with all the rights if you get long enough as a pop up to make some return before a tenant is found ie is it funds up front and that commitment that are the issue?

I can offer some advice as a Catering Manager, and purchasing, but although I have a personal licence, I've not been a Licensee holder for 5 years.

Would the "profits" be for Trust funds? Would the rent, as matchday income, go to OAFC or elsewhere? I am thinking if it is the club as rent and Trust as funds then it is a win win.

Edited by singe

I think a fans' bar is a great idea.

However giving the effort the trust put in to get it ready pre-Xmas, the effort it would still need to get ready, the extra costs of both of those and now the possibility of additional costs through rent (presumably to the landlords not the club) I think time is better spent elsewhere. 

You might want to consider looking at options in other stands given where the money will go. I doubt there will be feasible space but the old club shop might be an option. 

Nice effort ladies and gents of the trust. Thanks for trying. Another thing to add to the list of why fans can't stand Shitpeas. 

A fans bar is long overdue and would be very welcome. Personally I find it strange that it's the fans who are having to push for this and that it's not a basic amenity in a brand new shiny stand provided by the club to attract supporters in earlier and much needed revenue.

If it's the only way we can get one then i'm all for it, although knowing they could pull the plug at any given time is slightly worrying.

2 minutes ago, steveoafc said:

A fans bar is long overdue and would be very welcome. Personally I find it strange that it's the fans who are having to push for this and that it's not a basic amenity in a brand new shiny stand provided by the club to attract supporters in earlier and much needed revenue.

If it's the only way we can get one then i'm all for it, although knowing they could pull the plug at any given time is slightly worrying.

Yeah, I’d like to see the club doing this - I don’t think it’s the Trust’s job. 

But if the club won’t, it’d be a much appreciated over-and-above from the Trust. 

Id be more likely to use post match than pre, but if it’s there, I might alter my habits!

5 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

A tent? Christ. The north stand already has Tv’s just open the fire exit door and get some better booze behind the bar. 

You mean spend your money at a bar where both the supply of beer and its profits are contracted out.

35 minutes ago, singe said:

Is it at all viable that the Bar be such a success that it could pay more or less market rate (obviously I don't know the rate) and be considered a tenant with all the rights if you get long enough as a pop up to make some return before a tenant is found ie is it funds up front and that commitment that are the issue?

I can offer some advice as a Catering Manager, and purchasing, but although I have a personal licence, I've not been a Licensee holder for 5 years.

Would the "profits" be for Trust funds? Would the rent, as matchday income, go to OAFC or elsewhere? I am thinking if it is the club as rent and Trust as funds then it is a win win.

Cheers singe, it's really early stages again. Like I said we have set up a working group and we haven't even met up yet..haha. Anyways An update on that particular space.

Rent is aprox £75k a year...I'm not brilliant with business, so apologies for my naivety...over 52 weeks is £1,442 per week in rent. We then have to factor:

Two home games an average a month and the place can hold a good 100 plus pre and post match.

beverage/food cost and profit

Staff costs/door security (maybe)

sky rental

There is potential of us having a temp rental contract especially if it's just sitting there generating zero.

profits would be for the trust warchest and any other fan funded initiatives, rent would go to the OEC as it is separate to the club. Yes I know this might not sit well with fans too.

Like I said it's really early tentative steps again as we need to see the snagging list. That alone might end thus site as a possible location.

however other fans suggestions coming through gives us good for thought too

cheers to you and all so far who have posted

Edited by underdog

Agents website suggests could be divided into two - hence rent would be half of this if looked at as a smaller site - would this be large enough? 

Regardless, at £75kpa I don’t think a short term tenure would be a worry - how on earth will it ever rent out!? Footflow on all but matchdays is minimal, would be a challenge for any business to sustain the rent required I would think . Crazy money. 

First and foremost improving the product on the pitch is probably the most important priority for AL, but I also thought plans for a supporters club/bar could have been sorted by now....it’s early days but I’m getting a general feeling that we ain’t going to be that much better off under the new regime.

I would stay well clear of lining the pockets of the Amigos and even the OEC, the stand was supposed to be for the benefit of the club.

I have a ST in the North Stand but would much rather spend my money pre-match in somewhere like the corner suite with all the proceeds going to the club I support.

Other than on match days I really don’t want to put a single penny into that stand.

Long term I really do hope that a stadium relocation is still not dead in the water!

It’s something I want but at £75k pa a dead duck. Assuming everybody involved takes nothing you must be looking at taking £9k per game. If they let you use the space for free and reimburse the cost of any improvements you make should they let they unit go ahead but otherwise save your energy for something else.