The fans bar is dead...long live the fans bar...

14 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Agents website suggests could be divided into two - hence rent would be half of this if looked at as a smaller site - would this be large enough? 

Regardless, at £75kpa I don’t think a short term tenure would be a worry - how on earth will it ever rent out!? Footflow on all but matchdays is minimal, would be a challenge for any business to sustain the rent required I would think . Crazy money. 

I'll be honest...I haven't looked at the letting agent site. I think originally the NhS was going too have it, the electrics are there, the soil pipes are there for toilets etc.

id say the Space is about 3x times the size of the current club shop.

like I said I'm throwing it out there to see if the support is still there for it and if not this particular location, maybe another one.

thanks for your input

15 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Agents website suggests could be divided into two - hence rent would be half of this if looked at as a smaller site - would this be large enough? 

Regardless, at £75kpa I don’t think a short term tenure would be a worry - how on earth will it ever rent out!? Footflow on all but matchdays is minimal, would be a challenge for any business to sustain the rent required I would think . Crazy money. 

It’s more likely to appeal to a convenience store or Papa John’s pizza delivery place... something completely unrelated to football.

£75k is crazy money though. I’m not sure on the square footage but would guess that it should command a rent of 30% of that at best. Plus a rent free period usually offered as standard.

Assuming the space doesn’t have toilets or water, waste and drainage then this would be the first thing to get costed up rather than worry about the amount of rent. And instead of rent, look at offering a turnover rent - ie a percentage of the turnover rather than a fixed rent. 

17 minutes ago, underdog said:

Cheers singe, it's really early stages again. Like I said we have set up a working group and we haven't even met up yet..haha. Anyways An update on that particular space.

Rent is aprox £75k a year...I'm not brilliant with business, so apologies for my naivety...over 52 weeks is £1,442 per week in rent. We then have to factor:

Two home games an average a month and the place can hold a good 100 plus pre and post match.

beverage/food cost and profit

Staff costs/door security (maybe)

sky rental

There is potential of us having a temp rental contract especially if it's just sitting there generating zero.

profits would be for the trust warchest and any other fan funded initiatives, rent would go to the OEC as it is separate to the club. Yes I know this might not sit well with fans too.

Like I said it's really early tentative steps again as we need to see the snagging list. That alone might end thus site as a possible location.

however other fans suggestions coming through gives us good for thought too

cheers to you and all so far who have posted

Cheers

On that rent, it would be a struggle! And you are right not to go down that route.
It would have to be the club investing and trying to get a 7 day a week trade.

That would be negotiated down no matter what.

On the other hand, at that rate its been sitting idle for several years, so you have a negotiation position.

But yes, overall, forget the long term for now. If you are succesful the club will want a piece of it anyway and you will be stronger. They are unlikely to kick you out overnght. Bad press for a new tenant...

Anyway that is for the future.

I think yarddogs volunteer idea has merit, but it is a big risk people won't turn up and you guys will do all the work. (Free tickets incentrive?}

Soft drinks could stretch to 75% profit, but you'd want to discuss if it's a good deal and more popular to make a bit less.
Food silialr for added, but nearer 30-50% for bought in like Jaffa Cakes Waggon wheels. IIRC Johnny Pimp is more an expert on that than me.

The biggest Catering Supplier in the country (Bidfood) is on the doorstep. Staff can get prefential rates but someone in our fanbase must be a link in and able to get a better deal

Privately I can send some figures I get, but they have to remain confidential. (I'm a customer)

They also supply alcohol but am sure someone else can step up here, we can put the word out.

Might just be me being nieve but if it's there purely for the use of fans rather than being looked at as a profitable business I'm sure it could be sustainable weekly regardless of Tue astronomical 'rent. The place wood be packed twice a month, and then if ya got it running 7 days a week for Sunday and midweek games it would be relatively busy all week. On the down days where there are no football games get it open for quiz nights and such and out of nowhere you have a 7 day a week operation. 

The advantage of having it at latics is fan loyalty. People would go out of their way to support it if they knew they were helping the club.

As for using Fleetwood as an example to base it on I would be looking at MK dons rather than fleetwood. MKs is fan-tastic 

56 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I think a fans' bar is a great idea.

However giving the effort the trust put in to get it ready pre-Xmas, the effort it would still need to get ready, the extra costs of both of those and now the possibility of additional costs through rent (presumably to the landlords not the club) I think time is better spent elsewhere. 

You might want to consider looking at options in other stands given where the money will go. I doubt there will be feasible space but the old club shop might be an option. 

Nice effort ladies and gents of the trust. Thanks for trying. Another thing to add to the list of why fans can't stand Shitpeas. 

Cheers....old club shop interesting.

and don't remind me of pre Xmas...I ached from moving all the furniture out of that con club to the site and cleaning the stuff..only for the club and MM to veto it. I could have cried, one of my low moments of me saying why the chuff do I both.

anyways, we want to try and get this thrashed out before the season starts or exhausted to the point where we have to put it on the back burner for another 6months to a year.

Thanks everyone so far for feedback and ideas.

i would love it to be a fans space to be used on none match days, meet the manager/player, maybe junior trust meetings, possible meeting place for the Atheticos, maybe run fans football team, darts team, pool team from it,  there's a lighting  rig in there maybe do a small venue for gigs, or rent to a band for practice,, maybe open mic, talent show....,my brain went into overdrive when I saw it's potential. 

But that's waaayyyyyyyy off......a glimmer maybe but not right now. Baby steps and all

1 hour ago, underdog said:

Cheers singe, it's really early stages again. Like I said we have set up a working group and we haven't even met up yet..haha. Anyways An update on that particular space.

Rent is aprox £75k a year...I'm not brilliant with business, so apologies for my naivety...over 52 weeks is £1,442 per week in rent. We then have to factor:

Two home games an average a month and the place can hold a good 100 plus pre and post match.

sky rental

There is potential of us having a temp rental contract especially if it's just sitting there generating zero.

profits would be for the trust warchest and any other fan funded initiatives, rent would go to the OEC as it is separate to the club. Yes I know this might not sit well with fans too.

Like I said it's really early tentative steps again as we need to see the snagging list. That alone might end thus site as a possible location.

That space will never be rented out for £75K a year!!!

On another note, I thought in the original plan for the stand, the very top floor was suppose to be the supporters bar. Maybe I’m mistaken.

53 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

That space will never be rented out for £75K a year!!!

On another note, I thought in the original plan for the stand, the very top floor was suppose to be the supporters bar. Maybe I’m mistaken.

If your mistaken then so am I as that was my recollection too. 

Can't see that even being done now though. 

How feckin depressing is this....trying to work out if we the fans can finance a bar to drink in at our club...with most of the profits (rent) going to the 3 scumbags who have systematically wrecked our club 

that liar Corney said he would only sell to someone who could take the club forward...what a fuckin joke, the 3 scumbags didn’t sell AL the club, just some bits and pieces that weren’t generating positive cash flow for them and now we’re left with a total shambles and a questionable future as we don’t have the facilities to generate revenue and the owner of tthe football part has to pay rent at the ground, for training and for a bleeding bar !!!! The deal AL has signed looks toxic to me and very naive...frankly I’d like to think the trust would have raised concerns but perhaps our man on the inside was focused on other opportunities 

my vote would be to boycott anything to do with Boundary Park/OEC that generates cash for Bltz, Gazal or Corney....if you want a drink before hand, support the local pubs and local business 

This has Leyton Orient or worse written all over it and we won’t even have the stadium and land to fall back on, we have been royally screwed by Corney and his money grabbing puppet masters

All very fitting on the day FIFA sold the 2026 World Cup to the Yanks-think I’ve reached the end of my tether with it all ?

• Like 1

I’ve been boycotting the stand since it became abundantly clear the club were receiving nothing from it anyway (non-match days). I’d like to think if everyone did, it’d push the price down low enough for AL to purchase the whole shebang. If the club is benefitting, I’d be there more often, and would go out of my way to support events there. 

Edited by maddog
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, maddog said:

I’ve been boycotting the stand since it became abundantly clear the club were receiving nothing from it anyway (non-match days). I’d like to think if everyone did, it’d push the price down low enough for AL to purchase the whole shebang. If the club is benefitting, I’d be there more often, and would go out of my way to support events there. 

Same here, not willing to part with my hard earned to wine and dine in a facility partly financed by player sales that does not benefit the club.

It would be great if we could organise a large-scale boycott of the North Stand. Sadly I think to get any kind of momentum behind the idea we’d have to drop into non-league. English fans in general are pretty terrible at this kind of stuff.

Me too. Go in there on match days usually, because I don’t want to sit on my own, but stay well away from all these audience with.. events.

Pretty stunned the club ‘sale’ went through on the terms it did, every other investor ran a mile when they heard TTAssetstrippers crazy way of ‘selling’ the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HallamBlue said:

Followed property rentals for many a year used to look after 520 properties aged 18 and never in a million years will anyone take that on at £75k a year would be insane business. Even a quick look on Rghtmove Commercial confirms not a hope in hell. Who is it up with? Sounds like telling owners what they want to hear not what its true value is. 

Dont forget would be other expenses on top. If it was that easy many a good pub would still be operating. 

To offer it at that price with no toilets etc is bloody hilarious. At very least a new tenant would be give a long rent free period to put it in order but to do that would be a long lease and protection for tenants. The obvious negative scenario is a lot of good will place finished to a health and safety standard and the owners then pull plug and lease it and work for nothing but them. 

Admire the desire to create the bar but for costs involved surely even a new build at back of RR would be better use of funds. Large Hall Sowerby Bridge based company an example giving it Corney etc feels wrong. Surely enough trades people and good will to make something work. Sure Lee at Whitaker design would help with project as a regular. 

This sums the situation up pretty well.

It sounds like Blitz and Gazal priced it up on Manhattan commercial prices !

For me, the starting point to allow you to make a decision as to whether a fans bar in that space is viable or not is to go back to the OEC 's agent, tell them you've stopped laughing now but are genuinely interested and want to know what the  real rent would be.

It woudn't surprise me if OEC told the agent that's what they wanted for it and the agent has put it on at that price just to get the listing from them, with the intention of persuading them that the price is unrealistic, after a few months of zero interest.

10 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

How feckin depressing is this....trying to work out if we the fans can finance a bar to drink in at our club...with most of the profits (rent) going to the 3 scumbags who have systematically wrecked our club 

that liar Corney said he would only sell to someone who could take the club forward...what a fuckin joke, the 3 scumbags didn’t sell AL the club, just some bits and pieces that weren’t generating positive cash flow for them and now we’re left with a total shambles and a questionable future as we don’t have the facilities to generate revenue and the owner of tthe football part has to pay rent at the ground, for training and for a bleeding bar !!!! The deal AL has signed looks toxic to me and very naive...frankly I’d like to think the trust would have raised concerns but perhaps our man on the inside was focused on other opportunities 

my vote would be to boycott anything to do with Boundary Park/OEC that generates cash for Bltz, Gazal or Corney....if you want a drink before hand, support the local pubs and local business 

This has Leyton Orient or worse written all over it and we won’t even have the stadium and land to fall back on, we have been royally screwed by Corney and his money grabbing puppet masters

All very fitting on the day FIFA sold the 2026 World Cup to the Yanks-think I’ve reached the end of my tether with it all ?

I must admit I am now very worried! Like u say if he walks there is absolutely nothing left, the next person taking over would be taking on debt and a shit team. It’s scary I reckon we are in most danger of any club in all of the divisions. I include national league and down. We are essentially a name!

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Or buy one if the houses there and name it The New Clayton Arms.?

You can use our shed if you like.

Any potential for getting a local business to sponsor it? Could be attractive for a catering type business or local brewery to showcase their stuff. Might be something for Simon Brooke to look into and/or throw out on #OldhamHour on Twitter?

14 hours ago, underdog said:

sky rental

I think a fans bar is a great idea and much needed. However based on the figures mentioned 75k, that equates to just under £3261 per home game. Factor in possibility of at least two home games over the three cup competitions that reduces to 3k per home game to just pay rent. That doesn’t include other running cost to pay out. Anyone have any idea how much the bar could take off past experience?

9 minutes ago, Rick6742 said:

I think a fans bar is a great idea and much needed. However based on the figures mentioned 75k, that equates to just under £3261 per home game. Factor in possibility of at least two home games over the three cup competitions that reduces to 3k per home game to just pay rent. That doesn’t include other running cost to pay out. Anyone have any idea how much the bar could take off past experience?

I’m sure some of our super fans won’t mind paying £50 a pint for us to maybe break evenish? 

“We have asked how much would it be to rent on a yearly basis and at the moment it's something we can't consider committing to”

....it’s such a sad state of affairs when 1. We have to rent space from our home of over 100 years to be able to set up a supporters bar & 2. For the landlords to price us out. Blitz & gazal can fook off.

For me, if Abdallah wanted to show some solidarity with the supporters, he’d rent the space for us.

• Like 1

Fair play on the effort to get this up and running by the fans for the fans  but I’m surely not the only one who think the club should be doing this to further the match day experience. I used to love going in the Clayton arms and junior Latics lounge as a child and it made me want to go back season after season. I feel it needs to be done properly, in the ground with proper facilities for kids and adults alike. Screens showing Premier league games, something for the kids, pool tables, Xbox etc. I’m not privvy to who owns what and where when it comes to the new stand but surely AL would see the benefit to HIS club by sorting something proper out rather than a budget pop up tent etc!

we could be romping the league and it would still be likely a majority would be turning up at 2.50pm, make it a fun day out for all and things will start to improve with a feel good factor around the ground. 

Or am I just dreaming now?????

Edited by wogghead1