The fans bar is dead...long live the fans bar...

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Is the whole of the North stand leased to OEC except the gym and the club shop or is that top floor still vacant without a tennant? 

It is my interpretation that OEC Ltd have a 15 year lease on certain (possibly all) sections of The North Stand at a current market rent of £216K per annum.

Which square footage and areas are included and upon which days I have no idea.

Also I do not know to whom the Gym and The Club shop/ Sports direct pay rent.

18 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

It is my interpretation that OEC Ltd have a 15 year lease on certain (possibly all) sections of The North Stand at a current market rent of £216K per annum.

Which square footage and areas are included and upon which days I have no idea.

Also I do not know to whom the Gym and The Club shop/ Sports direct pay rent.

Do you know who the lease is payable to. Is it Brassbank (themselves) or Latics?

9 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Do you know who the lease is payable to. Is it Brassbank (themselves) or Latics?

I know not. I just know that OEC Ltd have a current and future commitment for another 14 or 15 years.

I assumed that it is to Oldham Athletic 2004 Ltd who themselves have a lease on the (whole?) ground from Brassbank as explained by Corney at a fans meeting.

It is not that unusual-It is like a Company taking on a lease of a large property and then building a mezzanine floor part (or all) of which they then sublet to a n other(s.)

To take it one step further those a n others can then further sublet to even more others for things like the floorspace to run a fans bar.

It's not illegal it's called Capitalism. 

On 13/06/2018 at 9:13 PM, ajjovek said:

It’s more likely to appeal to a convenience store or Papa John’s pizza delivery place... something completely unrelated to football.

£75k is crazy money though. I’m not sure on the square footage but would guess that it should command a rent of 30% of that at best. Plus a rent free period usually offered as standard.

Assuming the space doesn’t have toilets or water, waste and drainage then this would be the first thing to get costed up rather than worry about the amount of rent. And instead of rent, look at offering a turnover rent - ie a percentage of the turnover rather than a fixed rent. 

It baffles me, that these so called businessmen haven’t explored these opportunities already. Like you say, the space would be perfect for a papa johns type delivery space similar to the ilk below your Tesco superstores. 

One of my lecturers and co founders at uni stated that the club had a great opportunity with this new stand, and he was drafted in as an advisory - Simon corney wasn’t willing to take any of that advice on board and you can see the results now. Empty spaces everywhere. 

12 minutes ago, HallamBlue said:

It baffles most normal thinking people.  The mode of splitting the space into affordable "Sum of the parts" type units like Hollinwood Business Centre would have worked. Business Hub start up etc with larger facilities on tap. But units to suit the design types, soliciors etc as parking good and access to M60 excellent but about as much vision as a blind man. Even a self storage type business which are appearing exponentially an option. Leaving a new building empty is criminal in oh so many ways. 

I am out of touch re taxation etc but if the building theoretically losing 75k per can they offset that against other activity.  Also do they pay any rates/Council Tax if empty over a 6 month period as that would be substantial. Leaving it unfinished a tactic? 

Mind boggling. I genuinely can’t believe these three made a vast amount of money through business.

Its an attractive proposition for many small unit companies similar to those you’ve named above, if the rates were reasonable. Surely they could have negotiated a deal with around 4 or 5 tenants - they must have made huge errors in who they drafted in to secure business. 

Theres so much scope at Oldham in the way of stadia utilisation, but nothing is done. Criminal, like you say. 

Amateur hour just like many things at our club during their tenure.

The Frankfurt fans did a great job of turning part of The RRE into a beer tent if memory serves, and it was really popular. There is lots of space there to do something like that permanently. I know nothing about licencing and health and safety or business, mind, so there could be issues I can't contemplate with my lack of knowledge. 

On 15 June 2018 at 5:50 AM, laticsrblue said:

But OAFC get income from matchday hospitality etc  so a bnycott on matchdays would just be taking vital income  off Latics .

Not only that, but the "complete boycott" of the North Stand called for by OAFC Lover is incomprehensible. In other words, back to a three sided ground. Exactly how is that supposed to benefit the team?

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Not only that, but the "complete boycott" of the North Stand called for by OAFC Lover is incomprehensible. In other words, back to a three sided ground. Exactly how is that supposed to benefit the team?

The team would benefit from the highest concentration of home fans all sat together in my opinion similar to what happens every other week. 

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I’ve not “called for” a complete boycott. Simply said I’d love to see it and see them fall to their knees.

I won’t set foot in the place but would never tell others what to do or where to spend their money.

For the record though, I don’t think the North Stand being empty would make a blind bit of difference to the team. If anything, it would probably create a better atmosphere having more people together and could in a way create a solidarity around the place if the players were aware or the reasons behind it.

The pitfall would be that we could potentially lose use of the gym facilities for the squad but you’d hope that would be GloGym’s decision and not the 3 leaches’.

2 hours ago, oafc_lover said:

I’ve not “called for” a complete boycott. Simply said I’d love to see it and see them fall to their knees.

I won’t set foot in the place but would never tell others what to do or where to spend their money.

For the record though, I don’t think the North Stand being empty would make a blind bit of difference to the team. If anything, it would probably create a better atmosphere having more people together and could in a way create a solidarity around the place if the players were aware or the reasons behind it.

The pitfall would be that we could potentially lose use of the gym facilities for the squad but you’d hope that would be GloGym’s decision and not the 3 leaches’.

As I said before - the atmosphere was just as shit last time we had only 2 stands to occupy 

The atmosphere at home last season was poor more often than not.

Highlights for me were the Rochdale, Bury, Blackburn and Peterborough games. 

All were victories and with the exception of Peterborough, which had the added edge of a sending off to get the crowd going, were against local teams who brought large(ish) followings.

The crowd for the home game against Northampton was probably too stunned by the size of the victory to remember to ‘make some noise’. ?

15 hours ago, oafc_lover said:

I totally get your dislike of TTA, completely justifiable. But as long as we're at BP and Brassbank is regrettably calling the shots re the lease etc, don't we want all sides of the ground as full as possible (pipe dream at the moment admittedly) and three of the four sides getting behind the team?

20 hours ago, oafc_lover said:

With respect that is naive in the extreme. The players won’t give a toss about it.   Also, to add to what others have said... the atmosphere when we had only 3 sides occupied was no better, it was probably worse 

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I totally get your dislike of TTA, completely justifiable. But as long as we're at BP and Brassbank is regrettably calling the shots re the lease etc, don't we want all sides of the ground as full as possible (pipe dream at the moment admittedly) and three of the four sides getting behind the team?

Pipe dreams are exactly that.

The RRE was decided as being the base for the home fans and at certain times it was rocking. That now has been totally lost.

Our atmosphere has become crap. The North Stand is partly to blame.

Oafc lover says that he boycotts the North Stand as a matter of principle, others will not do the same. BTW I do too. I go in there when it is offered as a freebie.

In my opinion the North Stand is absolutely crap and not fit for purpose and I was against it right from the word go since I could sense that it would never be properly completed and never full utilised to take us to the next level (I Quote.) It has become a liability/a white elephant. We are going backwards these days.

Back on topic get a fans bar in the space behind the RRE-It is not ideal but will be a lot more feasible.

Go see AL and take advantage of the split between the previous and the current owner.  It'll be free to rent!  Open up access between the RRE & the North Stand.

I have never been particularly convinced by the statement that all bar (and associated) income goes to OAFC Ltd  on a Saturday afternoon.

Perhaps it does even though it will be a bit of an administrative nightmare to do so with stocks etc. Perhaps the fans bar will take income away from OEC Ltd. GOOD!

32 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Pipe dreams are exactly that.

The RRE was decided as being the base for the home fans and at certain times it was rocking. That now has been totally lost.

Our atmosphere has become crap. The North Stand is partly to blame.

Oafc lover says that he boycotts the North Stand as a matter of principle, others will not do the same. BTW I do too. I go in there when it is offered as a freebie.

In my opinion the North Stand is absolutely crap and not fit for purpose and I was against it right from the word go since I could sense that it would never be properly completed and never full utilised to take us to the next level (I Quote.) It has become a liability/a white elephant. We are going backwards these days.

Back on topic get a fans bar in the space behind the RRE-It is not ideal but will be a lot more feasible.

Go see AL and take advantage of the split between the previous and the current owner.  It'll be free to rent!  Open up access between the RRE & the North Stand.

I have never been particularly convinced by the statement that all bar (and associated) income goes to OAFC Ltd  on a Saturday afternoon.

Perhaps it does even though it will be a bit of an administrative nightmare to do so with stocks etc. Perhaps the fans bar will take income away from OEC Ltd. GOOD!

Wow ? 

This is what this forum is all about... Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion however flawed or extreme. 

To summarise:

The North Stand is crap.

The North Stand is a white elephant.

The atmosphere is crap.

This is partly due to the North Stand.

You are not convinced about matchday income from the Facilities in the North Stand going to OAFC Ltd.

The solution, though not ideal and probably an administrative nightmare, is to get a fans bar in the space behind the RRE.

Love your passion  ?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Wow ? 

To summarise more appropriately:

The North Stand is crap and is a white elephant.

The atmosphere is crap, partly due to the fans being split over 3 stands (including the North Stand.)

You are not convinced about matchday income from the Facilities in the North Stand going to OAFC Ltd, especially due to the administration involved.

The solution, though is to get a fans bar in the space behind the RRE. Rent FOC?

Love your passion  ?

MORE CORRECTLY

The Brassbank politics will never be evident to the average fan and is something for the new owners to address.  Boycotting stands will help no one, be better if we all cancelled our sky subscriptions which is starving clubs at our level.  The way to create atmosphere is for as many fans as possible to attend games and support the team from all sides of BP.  Incentives to attract younger fans is the way forward and a good season in league 2 will help.  Maybe this season, if we can get our act together under FB, it will be the start of another positive period and attract a new generation of supporter to BP.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Whitts said:

The Brassbank politics will never be evident to the average fan and is something for the new owners to address.  Boycotting stands will help no one, be better if we all cancelled our sky subscriptions which is starving clubs at our level.  The way to create atmosphere is for as many fans as possible to attend games and support the team from all sides of BP.  Incentives to attract younger fans is the way forward and a good season in league 2 will help.  Maybe this season, if we can get our act together under FB, it will be the start of another positive period and attract a new generation of supporter to BP.

I stopped Sky ages ago in favour of BT which has BT sports and loads of football matches and Netflix for  a quarter of what I was paying Sky.

I agree with the rest of your comments about attracting more support and feel the club does a lot to get younger fans into BP.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.breakeynuttall.co.uk/oldham-athletic-football-club-boundary-park-hilbre-avenue-oldham-ol1-2pa/

Just to confirm that the space is up for rent. Photos showing the donated chairs and tables we shifted in there in December

It gives you a sense of the space and literally, the blank canvas that it is

Edited by underdog