Good afternoon Ladies & Gents,

The 2018/19 Football League fixtures are out tomorrow at 9am, where will find out who our opponents are to be on the opening game of the season, which Kick's Off at 3pm Saturday 4th August in a little over 6 weeks time.

For those of you who've;

• Participated before but, for whatever reason, elected not to continue,
  • Have watched from afar and are curious about what OWTB Prediction League is,
  • Are new/infrequent visitors to OWTB and haven't paid it much attention before,

....please revisit this thread in the run up to August 4th, where I will explain;

• How it works/What's new,
  • Who benefits,
  • Why you should consider joining in,

Out of interest, our last game in the 4th tier of the Football League was at Boundary Park on 1st May 1971. The correct Prediction that day would've been;

Latics 1 Stockport County 1 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Jim Fryatt

Attendance: 11,988

Programme Cover & Teamsheet from that day, plus 70/71 Team Photo in front of the Chaddy End;

S0uovza.png
Edited by lookersstandandy

So, MK Mongs (H) it is on 4th Aug.

We've played them - post the theft of Wimbledon - 11 times at home in the League and boast a record of 6 wins and 5 losses.

Biggest win was in our first meeting on 28th Aug 2004. The correct Prediction that day would've been;

Latics 3 MK Mongs 0 [HT 2-0]

First Latics Scorer: Jermaine Johnson

Attendance: 5,066

What do you Predict will be the outcome on 4th August?

Visit the OWTB Prediction League Forum where you will find a description of the rules;

http://www.owtb.co.uk/forum/78-owtb-prediction-league/

All you have to do is pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

....afterwhich, a thread will appear for you to place your Prediction, no later than 10 minutes before KO on Saturday 4th August.

Please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• How it works/What's new,
  • Who benefits,
  • Why you should consider joining in.

He was. And had a head that could move the ball faster than most players could (or can) kick it. 

Only player I can recall who physically bossed him was Alan Lawson our centre half when Big Jim played for Stockport. 

Last I heard Fryatt was a greenkeeper near. Las Vegas

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

O/T: I'm far too young to have seen him play, but you wouldn't mess with Jim Fryatt, would you?  Looks a proper double-hard bastard.

If I was a defender and saw Fryatt running at me, I'd try to kick him so I could get sent off and not have to face him again. He was one tough cookie.

In answer to the OP, the result was 1-1, Fryatt was the scorer and the attendance was 11,988.

The team that day was: 

1 Dowd

2 Wood

3 Whittle

4 Bowie

5 Cranston

6 Bowie

7 Heath

8 Shaw

9 Fryatt

10 Bryceland

11 Bebbington

12 Sweeney - sub on for Bebbington 

Latics won the Ford Sporting League and ended the season in 3rd place. The Ford/Lookers/Broadway/North Stand opened the following season after Latics won £70,000 for winning the Sporting League every month. Points were awarded for goals scored and deducted for bookings and sendings off.

Edited by Bristolatic

5 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

If I was a defender and saw Fryatt running at me, I'd try to kick him so I could get sent off and not have to face him again. He was one tough cookie.

In answer to the OP, the result was 1-1, Fryatt was the scorer and the attendance was 11,988.

The team that day was: 

1 Dowd

2 Wood

3 Whittle

4 Bowie

5 Cranston

6 Bowie

7 Heath

8 Shaw

9 Fryatt

10 Bryceland

11 Bebbington

12 Sweeney - sub on for Bebbington 

I can remember that Big Jim Bowie was versatile but didn't think he got about the pitch that much !

Bowie was about 6'2" and an excellent passer of the ball. He always looked lazy but was very deceptive when running and covered the ground quicker than you thought. I don't recall him running very far at a time, though. A very good midfielder.

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

O/T: I'm far too young to have seen him play, but you wouldn't mess with Jim Fryatt, would you?  Looks a proper double-hard bastard.

I saw him play and he was my first footballing hero. The best header of a ball I have ever seen bar none. 

As for hard bastards, you would have to go a long way to find one harder than ‘cast iron’ Bill Cranston. ?

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

Bowie was about 6'2" and an excellent passer of the ball. He always looked lazy but was very deceptive when running and covered the ground quicker than you thought. I don't recall him running very far at a time, though. A very good midfielder.

Agree with all that, I was referring to him playing at Nos. 4 and 6 in that line up !

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I saw him play and he was my first footballing hero. The best header of a ball I have ever seen bar none. 

As for hard bastards, you would have to go a long way to find one harder than ‘cast iron’ Bill Cranston. ?

Alun Williams

2 hours ago, maddog said:

Any chance of resurrecting the MOM votes after each match please, Mods?

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

His son, Ed, was a successful golf pro. Good enough to make it onto the pga tour. 

Right you two.... as respected OWTB contributors & lovely people to boot.... OWTB Prediction League and it’s many benefactors require your contribution. Please join up.

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Right you two.... as respected OWTB contributors & lovely people to boot.... OWTB Prediction League and it’s many benefactors require your contribution. Please join up.

?

You massive creep! 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I agree about Cranston. Proper hard man, a early hero of mine..

15 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

I’ve seen Jim Bowie in a local cafe on Saturdays quite regularly 

one day i should say hello  to him 

he looks in his sixties , and still slim ,  but is probably quite a bit older 

what a a good player he was

? jim bow, Jim bow, Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie , Jim Bowie , ? 

20 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Latics won the Ford Sporting League and ended the season in 3rd place. The Ford/Lookers/Broadway/North Stand opened the following season after Latics won £70,000 for winning the Sporting League every month. Points were awarded for goals scored and deducted for bookings and sendings off.....

From this....

J6jLoxO.jpg

....to this....

v6i46K0.jpg

For me, this is a thing of beauty. Some of the best days of my life were spent in here;

KIfnhJB.jpg

59 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

I’ve seen Jim Bowie in a local cafe on Saturdays quite regularly 

one day i should say hello  to him 

he looks in his sixties , and still slim ,  but is probably quite a bit older 

what a a good player he was

? jim bow, Jim bow, Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie , Jim Bowie , ? 

Still attends home games.

With us beginning life in division lower than we've become accustomed for the first time in a generation, some would be forgiven for hoping we might be challenging at the right end of it next May,

We now hold the unenviable record - after Coventry's promotion via the Play Offs last season - of being ranked #1 of 92 league clubs, for the length of time passed since our last promotion/cup win.

On the opening day of that season 25th August 1990, the correct Prediction would've been;

Wolves 2 Latics 3 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Ian Marshall

Attendance: 20,864