5 hours ago, stevesidg said:

I’ve seen Jim Bowie in a local cafe on Saturdays quite regularly 

one day i should say hello  to him 

he looks in his sixties , and still slim ,  but is probably quite a bit older 

what a a good player he was

? jim bow, Jim bow, Jim Bowie, Jim Bowie , Jim Bowie , ? 

He'll be 77 in October

40 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

He'll be 77 in October

On a similar note Keith Bebbington will be 75 on the first  day of the season. See him and have a chat most Saturdays at Belle Vue where he has a share in  a few dogs. He looks really well the only noticeable change being on top of his head. Was a bit put out when the Ford Stand was demolished referring to it as "our stand" (i.e. one the player's won).

19 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Right you two.... as respected OWTB contributors & lovely people to boot.... OWTB Prediction League and it’s many benefactors require your contribution. Please join up.

Go on, you've beaten me into submission!

13 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I should enter. Seen certain users who never have us down for a defeat. Easy pickings.

Good man. An OWTB stalwart such as yourself would be a very welcome addition.

All you have to do for now is pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

Then, keep popping into this thread over the coming weeks while I explain how it works, the tactics, what's new et al...... and you'll be good to go come 4th August.

Edited by lookersstandandy

23 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

We now hold the unenviable record - after Coventry's promotion via the Play Offs last season - of being ranked #1 of 92 league clubs, for the length of time passed since our last promotion.

Umm eh? Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, United, probably more too.

2 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Who takes over after our upcoming promotion?

Everton. 1995 FA Cup, last Cup or Promotion. Won with our fkin manager the year after our world imploded at the same ground against the same opposition. It’s as if the football gods really have it in for us.

This week, I thought we'd have a look at some of our opponents in League Two, whom we haven't faced for some time.

When I were a lad, we used to face Grimbsy in what is now the Championship with reasonable regularity, and our record against them is in deficit;

P 69 W 27 D 12 L 30

However since the turn of the century we have faced them in only 1 league campaign, 2003-04. One of those games however was rather memorable for a number of reasons;

8th February 2004, Boundary Park

Correct Prediction: Latics 6 Grimbsy Town 0 [HT 5-0]

First Latics Scorer: Scott Vernon

Attendance: 13,007

'Celebration Sunday' was the beginning of a new dawn. Administration and Chris Moore behind us, The Three Amigo's allowed everyone in for Free and there was a real feeling of optimism. Let's hope Mr. Lemsagam can bring that feeling back this coming season.

If you fancy yourself as a decent Predictor of Latics' fortunes and fancy trying to win some prize money, Prediction League is for you. All you've got to do for now is;

Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

Then, please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• How it works/What's new,
  • Who the beneficiaries are,
  • Tactics & Mind games.

56 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

This week, I thought we'd have a look at some of our opponents in League Two, whom we haven't faced for some time.

When I were a lad, we used to face Grimbsy in what is now the Championship with reasonable regularity, and our record against them is in deficit;

P 69 W 27 D 12 L 30

However since the turn of the century we have faced them in only 1 league campaign, 2003-04. One of those games however was rather memorable for a number of reasons;

8th February 2004, Boundary Park

Correct Prediction: Latics 6 Grimbsy Town 0 [HT 5-0]

First Latics Scorer: Scott Vernon

Attendance: 13,007

'Celebration Sunday' was the beginning of a new dawn. Administration and Chris Moore behind us, The Three Amigo's allowed everyone in for Free and there was a real feeling of optimism. Let's hope Mr. Lemsagam can bring that feeling back this coming season.

If you fancy yourself as a decent Predictor of Latics' fortunes and fancy trying to win some prize money, Prediction League is for you. All you've got to do for now is;

Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

Then, please keep revisiting this thread over the coming weeks, where I will explain more about;

• Tactics & Mind games.

Good work again Andy. Let's see if we can get at least 50 players again this coming season, or even more. 

Another team we faced with regularity in the 2nd tier at the end the 70s & early 80s was Cambridge United. Our record against them is better;

P 26 W 9 D 11 L 6

During our halcyon years, Cambridge themselves enjoyed a renaissance again reaching the 2nd tier with the likes of Dion Dublin, Steve Claridge & John Taylor playing for John Beck & Gary Johnson. They reached the FA Cup Q/F in 1989/90 in the other half of the draw to us, succumbing to Palace. They also beat us in the League Cup in 92/93. Anyway, I digress....

....the last time we played them was in League One in 2001/02. The correct Prediction that day would’ve been;

30th March 2002, Boundary Park

Latics 2 Cambridge United 2 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Dean Holden

Attendance: 4,957

Interested in taking part? All you've got to do is; Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

• Tactics & Mind games.

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

....the last time we played them was in League One in 2001/02. The correct Prediction that day would’ve been;

30th March 2002, Boundary Park

Latics 2 Cambridge United 2 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Dean Holden

Attendance: 4,957

Relegated them that day. That was the first time I ever brought my (now) wife to Oldham - naturally made her come to the game too.

The final, we haven't played them in a while [well, in league game at least] opponents, is Lincoln City. The bulk of our contests have taken place in the bottom 2 divisions, where we have an imperious record again them;

P 38 W 23 D 5 L 10

The last time we played them in the League however, was before the turn of century, the correct Prediction that day would've been;

6th February 1999, Boundary Park

Latics 2 Lincoln City 0 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Stuart Thom

Attendance: 5,220

In looking for footage of the featured games this week, I found this from another of our League 2 opponent this coming season, from the week following our last league meeting with Lincoln, correct Prediction being;

13th February 1999, Moss Rose

Macclesfield 1 Latics 0 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: N/A

Attendance: 4,038

We've only ever played Macc twice - in 1998/99 - and lost both games.

Interested in taking part? All you've got to do is; Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

• Tactics & Mind games.

We have played this lot a few times in recent years. Our overall record against them is;

P 55 W 22 D 14 L 19

It might be somewhat surprising to learn however, this coming season will be the first time we've both met in the 4th tier.

Here are two Prediction examples from when we both met in the 1st tier;

18th August 1993, County Ground

Swindon Town 0 Latics 1 [HT 0-0]

First Latics Scorer: Paul Bernard

Attendance: 11,940

7th December 1993, Boundary Park

Latics 2 Swindon Town 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: Rick Holden

Attendance: 9,771

• Tactics & Mind games.

In the final installment of correct Predictions from yesteryear, against opposition we will face again this coming season, we take a look at Notts County.

Our record against one of the oldest League clubs is evens;

P 92 W 35 D 21 L 36

We've played them in every Tier of the Football League, the last time in Tier 4 was in 1969. However this Prediction example below is from a exciting game in Tier 1, with some excellent goals being scored by both teams;

14th March 1992, Boundary Park

Latics 4 Notts County 3 [HT 3-1]

First Latics Scorer: Andy Ritchie

Attendance: 12,125

Next week we'll take a look at; How it works and What's new.

So, hopefully now you've got a good idea of what the Prediction entails. You might be wanting to know 'How it works' from there....?

Points are scored accordingly;

Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;

The maximum number of points you could therefore score on a individual game would be 31. Unsurprisingly, short of foul play @24hoursfromtulsehill this has never happened.

In the season just complete, the top score/Prediction for any game was made by @singe who amassed 26 for this effort against Rotherham (a) when the correct Prediction would've [sadly] been;

Rotherham 5 Latics 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Craig Davies

Attendance: 8,250

Another notable effort was from @aidan_latics for his 14 pointer against Bury (h) when the correct Prediction would've been;

Latics 2 Bury 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: Eoin Doyle

Attendance: 5,183

Reckon you could do better? All you've got to do is; Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

Keep popping back into this thread as I explain more about how it works and what's new.

52 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

So, hopefully now you've got a good idea of what the Prediction entails. You might be wanting to know 'How it works' from there....?

Points are scored accordingly;

Correct result (i.e. W,L or D) +2pts
Correct no. of goals for Latics +1pt;
Correct no. of goals for opposition +1pt;
Correct full-time score +2pts;
Correct half-time score +2pts;
First scorer +3pts;
Within 100 of attendance +3pts;
Within 10 of attendance +5pts;
Exact attendance +20pts;

The maximum number of points you could therefore score on a individual game would be 31. Unsurprisingly, short of foul play @24hoursfromtulsehill this has never happened.

In the season just complete, the top score/Prediction for any game was made by @singe who amassed 26 for this effort against Rotherham (a) when the correct Prediction would've [sadly] been;

Rotherham 5 Latics 1 [HT 1-1]

First Latics Scorer: Craig Davies

Attendance: 8,250

Another notable effort was from @aidan_latics for his 14 pointer against Bury (h) when the correct Prediction would've been;

Latics 2 Bury 1 [HT 1-0]

First Latics Scorer: Eoin Doyle

Attendance: 5,183

Reckon you could do better? All you've got to do is; Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

Keep popping back into this thread as I'll make about how it works and what's new.

Woah, check me getting  a mention. Honoured. Worst game of the season result wise.

So, now we've covered how to Predict and how points are scored, one hopes it's clear how the tables are formed? Below are the final 2017/18 League tables, which consisted of a Premier League and a Championship.

• @Hometownclub was the victorious Premier League champion. He correctly Predicted the outcome of 22 games during the season, more than anyone else.
  • @Stevie_J was the king of HT. 16 correct Predictions.
  • To accompany his Championship title, @singe impressively predicted the exact score on 8 occasions but was beaten to exact Latics goals by @DavidCollinge who got it right 20 times.
  • @jorvik_latic correctly Predicted First Latics scorer in 11 games - more than anyone else, which saved his sorry @rse from relegation!
  • The King or Queens of Attendance, were @singe and @milnrow latics who amassed 51 points apiece, helping both of them to be promoted to the Premier League automatically. @milnrow latics was also the King or Queen of darkness, correctly Predicting exact opposition goals 16 times, more than anyone else.

For the forthcoming 2018/19 season - subject to Predictors numbers - will see 3 leagues and the introduction of League One, with the ultimate objective being 4 leagues from 2019/20;

pOuOjrv.jpg

SQO1OXv.jpg

Q3UzwCm.jpg

Fancy it? All you've got to do is; Pay the £10 entrance fee via PayPal to stevie_j@owtb.co.uk (Please note the underscore) with your OWTB username in the comments box and your name will appear in the following Participants thread;

Keep popping back into this thread as I explain more about how it works and what's new.