England or Latics?

If you could only pick one..  

119 members have voted

1. 1. ..would you rather

• England win the 2018 World Cup
    • Latics get promoted in 2019

10 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Is this the game where they have to sit down for a little rest and a drink every few minutes?

7 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Tennis isn’t as intense as football your don’t have to run 90 odd yards slow fast, slow fast, track back, slow fast, bursts of pace

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Love this. Tennis is fuckin shit. 

4 minutes ago, daniel said:

Tennis is shit. Football isn’t. That’s the biggest difference.

Wisdom from those who have never played the game seriously.

Football:  2 matches in a week is too much, when 10 others plus subs take the strain.  Don't make me laugh!

2 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Football:  2 matches in a week is too much, when 10 others plus subs take the strain.  Don't make me laugh!

That still doesn’t alter the fact that Tennis is proper shit. 

15 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Please vacate our club and country based Football chat with your silly nonsense.

18 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

I can't be arsed. I'll just upboat whoever can be bothered to tear this arse gravy to pieces.

32 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Apparently in 3x 5-set matches tennis players can run the equivalent of 6 miles. (That's one week of tennis in Grand Slams) 

Footballers do that most games and some will do more. Often footballers will have 3 games in the same time too. 

That's not me bad-mouthing tennis, a sport I like, but just using facts. Comparing sports is silly as they use different muscles, require different concentration levels, different abilities etc. 

57 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Apparently in 3x 5-set matches tennis players can run the equivalent of 6 miles. (That's one week of tennis in Grand Slams) 

Footballers do that most games and some will do more. Often footballers will have 3 games in the same time too. 

That's not me bad-mouthing tennis, a sport I like, but just using facts. Comparing sports is silly as they use different muscles, require different concentration levels, different abilities etc. 

True, I'm far more a football fan, but having watched more as my son plays quite well for his age you need to factor in many play doubles and mixed doubles matches too. Not uncommonly on the same day if there are weather issues.

They're different, but it's very easy to underestimate.

23 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Sorry folks, but England are light years behind France, Croatia and Belgum.  There is one positive though, looks as if we have found a keeeper.  

With regard to the tennis, the top pros. are far superior athletically and in mental strength to any footballer.

I don't agree. France were cagey and crap, in my opinion, until Croatia gifted them the penalty...or should I say VR and the referee. I enjoyed the game though and thought France played much better after their second goal...as I think most international teams of any reasonable quality would. On the plus side, it was one of the better WC finals I have seen in a long time.

I don't think it is fair to compare mental strength and fitness within different sporting disciplines. 

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I don't agree. France were cagey and crap, in my opinion, until Croatia gifted them the penalty...or should I say VR and the referee. I enjoyed the game though and thought France played much better after their second goal...as I think most international teams of any reasonable quality would. On the plus side, it was one of the better WC finals I have seen in a long time.

I don't think it is fair to compare mental strength and fitness within different sporting disciplines. 

Fair reasoned comment, I just got fed up with the mindless tosh spoken about tennis.   It is a tough sport you are involved in every point and game points, set points and match points can be akin to a penalty shoot out, there's no where to hide.  Whereas in a well contested football match the outfield players will only have an average of about four and a half minutes possession in the whole game, yes I know there is supposed to be a lot of running off the ball (well we hope to see it even at Latics).

It is too easy to write off sports that one knows nothing about.

1 hour ago, frizzell54 said:

Fair reasoned comment, I just got fed up with the mindless tosh spoken about tennis.   It is a tough sport you are involved in every point and game points, set points and match points can be akin to a penalty shoot out, there's no where to hide.  Whereas in a well contested football match the outfield players will only have an average of about four and a half minutes possession in the whole game, yes I know there is supposed to be a lot of running off the ball (well we hope to see it even at Latics).

It is too easy to write off sports that one knows nothing about.

In the 2nd longest ever match at Wimbledon there were 102 Aces and 10 Double faults. That's 112 points with only one party being involved. That's 28 games or the equivalent of 4 sets of 6-1.

The combined distance covered by both players during that 6 hours + of tennis was 9.227 km. I'd expect every midfielder playing 90 minutes to beat that. 

We get that you like tennis but until the stats say otherwise can you please stop saying tennis is more physically demanding than football. The physical demands are different. The mental demands are different. Unsurprising really as they are different sports.