England or Latics?

If you could only pick one..  

119 members have voted

1. 1. ..would you rather

• England win the 2018 World Cup
    • Latics get promoted in 2019

Don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer really.

We all have our own reasons for voting either way.

For what it’s worth I’d probably have voted Latics had we been in L1 this season but I’d personally get more joy from England winning this World Cup than us getting promotion back to where we have been for over 20 years! :D

Multi million pound prima donnas - and only every couple of years, assuming the withering mard arses have qualified - plying their trade for the greedy premier league that gives no fks about us & has all but ended any hope we have of being able to compete above the bottom two tiers, or our own players, turning out for my beloved shirt, badge and club, every week, every season?

Latics. Always. And forever.

Edited by lookersstandandy

12 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Multi million pound prima donnas - and only every couple of years, assuming the withering mard arses have qualified - plying their grade for the greedy premier league that gives no fks about us & has all but ended any hope we have of being able to compete above the bottom two tiers, or our own players, turning out for my beloved shirt, badge and club, every week, every season?

Latics. Always. And forever.

I dislike the players, management and owners responsible for taking Latics to Division Four more than the England prima donnas.

It's as close as it's ever been with regards to this debate for me - other than the fans there doesn't seem much to have pride in at Latics at the moment.

England, however, seem to have something about them at the moment that they haven't had for years and years.

That said, I've voted for Latics here and it won't even be a debate in my head when England get knocked out next week!!

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I dislike the players, management and owners responsible for taking Latics to Division Four more than the England prima donnas.

Well I can’t argue with that. However, I can barely muster a fk to watch England most of the time, yet my little division 4 football club still gives me butterflies when I go to a game. England are like the posh girl at work that everyone fancies, but Latics are my wife that I love no matter what.

19 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Well I can’t argue with that. However, I can barely muster a fk to watch England most of the time, yet my little division 4 football club still gives me butterflies when I go to a game. England are like the posh girl at work that everyone fancies, but Latics are my wife that I love no matter what.

That is a great analogy 

1 hour ago, oafc_lover said:

Don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer really.

We all have our own reasons for voting either way.

For what it’s worth I’d probably have voted Latics had we been in L1 this season but I’d personally get more joy from England winning this World Cup than us getting promotion back to where we have been for over 20 years! :D

Agree with this.  For me I'd pick England, but mainly because I didn't grow up in Oldham (my old man did and passed the torch), so I don't really know any other Latics fans.  So a promotion for us as amazing as it'd be, would be something only I'd enjoy.

Whereas I've been watching England (with varying degrees of botheredness) with my mates for 20+ years.  To experience winning a world cup together would be sensational.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

But what if one day at the Christmas party she’s  had a few and you manage to score! What a achievement, what a experience.

Tbf I think the reason the country is more open to this England team is they ain't a team of prima donnas. It's basically a team of kids who barely have a cap between them. They are playing the game as it should be played and being shepherded by a manager that's more down to earth than anything I've seen in my lifetime, and with the tactical nous to go with it. 

It's latics every time for me, but this is an England team we can really get behind

England winning the world cup would produce a feeling of lust that will be over quickly but always remembered.

Latics winning promotion would be true love, it would last all season and into the next and would always be on your mind but would have its ups and downs no doubt.

Edited by maximus1267

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Still not a lifetime is it. 

World Cup is 1... ever...

4 years

This is my 8th world cup Ive seen If I live into my 80s I will see atleast another 11 plenty of time for us to find and develop another generation. 

If England won the world cup it would be highly unlikely that Latics would benefit in any shape or form. It would be a great party and a wonderful celebration but not much else will change.

Latics get a promotion and we might start to see some forward momentum in our football club which could lead to maybe another promotion we've seen it happen on several occasions.

I've seen England win the World Cup and Latics promoted from the fourth to the third tier. I've also married the girl at work who I fancied. So I'm not really bothered. What I don't want is Latics to be relegated out of the League, and promotion would be a reward for AL, which I would like.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

4 years

This is my 8th world cup Ive seen If I live into my 80s I will see atleast another 11 plenty of time for us to find and develop another generation. 

If England won the world cup it would be highly unlikely that Latics would benefit in any shape or form. It would be a great party and a wonderful celebration but not much else will change.

Latics get a promotion and we might start to see some forward momentum in our football club which could lead to maybe another promotion we've seen it happen on several occasions.

Before the next World Cup we will have 3 more chances for promotion...  I’ll take the World Cup this year and promotion next. Sorted. 

But why can’t we have both. 

10 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Before the next World Cup we will have 3 more chances for promotion...  I’ll take the World Cup this year and promotion next. Sorted. 

But why can’t we have both. 

Cant help feel if we consolidate in league 2 next season we will stagnate there long term hope Im wrong.