Ashton United friendly

5 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Liking the standard Bunn seems to be setting. Hard work and consistency goes far in football, especially at our level. This side will be fit and sharp, something we haven’t looked like in years. 

We say similar every pre-season. With every manager. 

I’ll reserve judgement till the proper stuff starts. 

9 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Liking the standard Bunn seems to be setting. Hard work and consistency goes far in football, especially at our level. This side will be fit and sharp, something we haven’t looked like in years. 

To take a different view YOU could say he’s over working them , by time the season starts they will all be ruined and we are bound to be relegated as a result. Also he shouldn’t be shouting at these boys , it could seriously damage team morale. 

But that was the old Kusunga. I like this new one much better. Well done. Would you like to join my #walktheleagueapreciationsociety?

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

3 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

To take a different view YOU could say he’s over working them , by time the season starts they will all be ruined and we are bound to be relegated as a result. Also he shouldn’t be shouting at these boys , it could seriously damage team morale. 

But that was the old Kusunga. I like this new one much better. Well done. Would you like to join my #walktheleagueapreciationsociety?

I’m still the same. Would be nonsense to judge today based on the football. The pitch seemed to be ruined from the sun and it was only the first game. The Preston and Forest games should tell us where we’re at 

4 hours ago, mick26 said:

Gerrard has missed training for a few days - was back out with the physio yesterday so probably nothing serious.

Benteke and Maouche have both featured in training so seem to be fully involved with the squad.

Dummigan was also missing yesterday so looks like another injury.

Anyone know who the MW is who is helping out Bunn and Rhodes in training?

Wonder if one of the other triallists is the lad who Peter Clarke blasted in training with the immortal line "Get back you lazy little c**t, RECOVER"!!!

New First team coach Max Wragg I believe. Previously with sheff wednesday 

4 hours ago, mick26 said:

Gerrard has missed training for a few days - was back out with the physio yesterday so probably nothing serious.

Benteke and Maouche have both featured in training so seem to be fully involved with the squad.

Dummigan was also missing yesterday so looks like another injury.

Anyone know who the MW is who is helping out Bunn and Rhodes in training?

Wonder if one of the other triallists is the lad who Peter Clarke blasted in training with the immortal line "Get back you lazy little c**t, RECOVER"!!

Double post...apologies 

Edited by super_blue

30 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I’m still the same. Would be nonsense to judge today based on the football. The pitch seemed to be ruined from the sun and it was only the first game. The Preston and Forest games should tell us where we’re at 

Bollox. Friendlies tell us nothing. The two aforementioned upcoming friendlies will not tell us where we are at. If we win them both convincingly, we could still struggle. And vice versa if we were to get battered in them both. Hence I don’t bother with them. 

Alan Hardy couldn't speak highly enough of FB & AR and seemed very up beat about things.

ALs brother was also there enjoying the World Cup semi final supporting Belgium, think AL is still in Russia.

And one for the older ones, Bernard Halford ex latics secretary and life President of MCFC was also there enjoying a drink with Alan Hardy.

The game was just a run out really,  I think the young lad from Sheff UTD could be a big hit, he may only be 17 but you wouldn't think it.

Pitch wasn't great due to the weather, very hard and bobbly. FB actually considered calling the game off yesterday but after meetings with officials decided to go ahead as long as both teams were cautious.

Decent turnout of 378, mostly Tics.

2 hours ago, super_blue said:

New First team coach Max Wragg I believe. Previously with sheff wednesday 

Thanks for the info.

If only we had a website dedicated to Latics news we woldn't  have  to rely on fellow supporters super-sleuths to find out who our backroom staff are.

10 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

He kept Ripley out of their team though didn’t he? One assumes you’d have Ripley back?

Edit: note to self, read all posts before posting. Beaten to do it by Dave_Og

No I wouldn’t on last seasons performances. He was not a patch on the season before when he played for us. 

9 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I suppose you could say that but as the management team are ex players and coaches themselves, feedback from the players seem to be positive, then I prepared to side with the experts of Bunn and Rhodes.

with regards to discipline...I don't think I said shouting did I? I haven't personally seen any training so I can't comment any further only to say there are different forms of discipline. I am disciplined to get my arse out of bed at 7am to walk the dog, eat my brekkie and like now....should be moving off the sette to get to work.

and walk the league?....oh no no no....I'm still not convinced England will bring it home....too long in thte tooth and all.

so my discipline is kicking innow and off to work I go..hahah

Edited by underdog

Was Nepo playing full back?  Wondering if Bunn sees him as a defender rather than a midfielder.

And it sounds like Baxter replaced Holloway - maybe he's being seen as an out and out striker this season.

Edited by Crusoe

23 minutes ago, underdog said:

I suppose you could say that but as the management team are ex players and coaches themselves, feedback from the players seem to be positive, then I prepared to side with the experts of Bunn and Rhodes.

with regards to discipline...I don't think I said shouting did I? I haven't personally seen any training so I can't comment any further only to say there are different forms of discipline. I am disciplined to get my arse out of bed at 7am to walk the dog, eat my brekkie and like now....should be moving off the sette to get to work.

and walk the league?....oh no no no....I'm still not convinced England will bring it home....too long in thte tooth and all.

Whoooosh

43 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Was Nepo playing full back?  Wondering if Bunn sees him as a defender rather than a midfielder.

And it sounds like Baxter replaced Holloway - maybe he's being seen as an out and out striker this season.

Nepo started at full back then later moved to the wing where he was much better.  Baxter did play a striker role and linked well with Gardner in particular.

We definitely need to sign at least one other striker though.

11 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Frankie sounds quite stern on his iFollow interview.... I recall some - last time he applied and didn’t get the job - saying they thought he would be a bit of a soft touch. I don’t know based on what, possibly his droll Brummy accent. I also recall Nick Henry saying something on Twitter about him being tough. Might do us some good.

6LQ3tj8.jpg

Edited by lookersstandandy

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Nepo started at full back then later moved to the wing where he was much better.  Baxter did play a striker role and linked well with Gardner in particular.

We definitely need to sign at least one other striker though.

Thanks BP. I'm not sold on the idea of Nepo as a full back, and I think Dummigan and Hunt should have enough for League Two.

Baxter as a striker, though, could work. He's played there before and has the skills to really make an impact at this level. With Holloway as a target man and Benteke as backup, we'd only really need one more first team striker.

Personally don't want Hunt at left back. Really upsets the balance of the team and I don't think he offers enough going forward.

How did Andy Taylor do? Fits the bill in that he has a left foot, is experienced and has played the majority of his career a level up.

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Baxter IS a striker, especially if we want to get him and Byrne into the same team.

How did The Johan Branger play?

Bunn will play Baxter in an advanced position.

Branger looked Ok to me, very raw but a strong runner, quite powerful but quite greedy at times, I think he will be a decent signing on this first showing and his first game time.

11 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Was it any of these; all names circulating on social media?

Giles Coke

Jonathan Benteke

Yohan Mollo - seems unlikely!?

Karleigh Osborne

Andy Taylor

Ishmael Miller

Franck Moussa

Ben Pukiss 

Benteke, Coke and Taylor definitely played, so that leaves 1 trialist who people can’t work out.

1 hour ago, underdog said:

I'm still Typical Latics, Typical England mode.
Really hope we (both) can, but expecting typical performances.